The future's bright....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunc

I've avoided posting in response to the usual over reaction to win/defeat that happens on this forum each week at the moment but thought I'd make a point now the dust has settled somewhat.

I know its not great at the moment, lets make no bones about it but I actually like what CL is doing with the club at all levels. He appears to be happy with what he knows (good and bad) about the 1st team squad and doesn't see the point in them playing for the reserves unless they are returning from injury or haven't played for the first team for a few weeks.

Instead he is bringing a very young team through some tough games against strong reserve teams with what appears to be a plan to fast track the players that stand up for the ressies into the 1st team squad over the season. (Sheehan, Stearman, Weslowski etc)

What I think some people haven't picked up is that our squad has a very young average age and CL seems to be building for the future. This isn't going to happen over the next 3-4 months, but over the next 6-12 and into the next few years. Look at our Academy team now, most have a load of reserve team experience and the results against their own age group now are extremely promising.

The people that post "play off contenders" on a saturday and then "relegation fodder" on a tuesday really need to see this and back CL cause its the first time in 20 years that I can think of 3-4 regulars of the 1st team squad being through the academy with another 3-4 coming through and with an emphasis on youth throughout the club. (Chambers, Dodds, Muggleton, Magunda all highly promising).

If CL goes because the 'fickle boneheads' aren't happy we are probably around 15-12th for the next few months then a new manager will come in and break this foundation that is being created.

Before people say this is like wanting to stick with MA last season, its nothing like MA because there was no foundations put into place by him, instead it was a squad full of players aged 30+ with no apparent plan in place for the future, whether we got promoted or not.

I think the majority of City fans are now coming to the realisation Leicester City FC are (as far as history goes) a decent 1st Division team or a poor Premiership team on average. We punched above our weight because of a one off who was our manager (much like Forest) but lets not do what they did after he'd gone, lets stick with a manager who appears to be building for the future, get behind a young team who are going to improve and stop over reacting to every result that happens.

In my opinion (and I did say this at the start of the season) - expect a finish between 8-12th this year with a push onto better things next year (i'd expect top 6).

People who are questioning the budget for next year because of the parachute payments ending, I would find it hard to imagine that players are being signed on 3 yr deals with a budget only allowing to pay them for 12 months.

As far as I can see, we have a new team (again) but it is one built for the future and one that will only improve with time and a few further additions over the next 12 months. We will have a number of local lads brought into the squad as well who will have had a season of regular and competitive reserve team football and given time next season could be a very successful one.

UP THE CITY!

Of course if the "ugly rumours" thread is right, you can ignore all of the above.

Good post Dunc.

The key I think is to get a reasonably settled side; I'm not convinced anyone, including the manager, knows what this is yet. The magic of football is getting the right blend of players.

Think of it as a curry. It shouldn't be too hot, but not too bland, not undercooked then again not a reheat from last Tuesday. At the moment it seems Craig is still dabbling with the ingredients, lets hope he's got good taste because after this season he wont be going to Waitrose it'll be the reduced shelf at the local Spa.

Dunc said:
I've avoided posting in response to the usual over reaction to win/defeat that happens on this forum each week at the moment but thought I'd make a point now the dust has settled somewhat.

I know its not great at the moment, lets make no bones about it but I actually like what CL is doing with the club at all levels. He appears to be happy with what he knows (good and bad) about the 1st team squad and doesn't see the point in them playing for the reserves unless they are returning from injury or haven't played for the first team for a few weeks.

Instead he is bringing a very young team through some tough games against strong reserve teams with what appears to be a plan to fast track the players that stand up for the ressies into the 1st team squad over the season. (Sheehan, Stearman, Weslowski etc)

What I think some people haven't picked up is that our squad has a very young average age and CL seems to be building for the future. This isn't going to happen over the next 3-4 months, but over the next 6-12 and into the next few years. Look at our Academy team now, most have a load of reserve team experience and the results against their own age group now are extremely promising.

The people that post "play off contenders" on a saturday and then "relegation fodder" on a tuesday really need to see this and back CL cause its the first time in 20 years that I can think of 3-4 regulars of the 1st team squad being through the academy with another 3-4 coming through and with an emphasis on youth throughout the club. (Chambers, Dodds, Muggleton, Magunda all highly promising).

If CL goes because the 'fickle boneheads' aren't happy we are probably around 15-12th for the next few months then a new manager will come in and break this foundation that is being created.

Before people say this is like wanting to stick with MA last season, its nothing like MA because there was no foundations put into place by him, instead it was a squad full of players aged 30+ with no apparent plan in place for the future, whether we got promoted or not.

I think the majority of City fans are now coming to the realisation Leicester City FC are (as far as history goes) a decent 1st Division team or a poor Premiership team on average. We punched above our weight because of a one off who was our manager (much like Forest) but lets not do what they did after he'd gone, lets stick with a manager who appears to be building for the future, get behind a young team who are going to improve and stop over reacting to every result that happens.

In my opinion (and I did say this at the start of the season) - expect a finish between 8-12th this year with a push onto better things next year (i'd expect top 6).

People who are questioning the budget for next year because of the parachute payments ending, I would find it hard to imagine that players are being signed on 3 yr deals with a budget only allowing to pay them for 12 months.

As far as I can see, we have a new team (again) but it is one built for the future and one that will only improve with time and a few further additions over the next 12 months. We will have a number of local lads brought into the squad as well who will have had a season of regular and competitive reserve team football and given time next season could be a very successful one.

UP THE CITY!
I could not agree more. I have mentioned this before, but I would be amazed if our wage bill is not now tailored for the fact that we get no parachute payment next season. Being slightly long in the tooth, when I first started supporting the team we were generally in the ( then second division ) with the occasional foray into the top league. I basked in the success in the MON era, but in my heart I knew it could not last with the fan base we have, and the fact that we cannot raise as much revenue ( from all sources ) as the big city clubs. Some people seem to forget we nearly went bust recently, and you cannot go from that to a permanent member of the Premier League without a fairy godfather. I am totally behind CL, and agree that we now have an exciting bunch of youngsters, however, it aint gonna happen this season. Next season we have a chance when they have got experience under their belt. Also being young and raw, they will make mistakes, but it is the only way they will learn, rather than rotting in the reserves. I see most games home and away, and can genuinely say I am enjoying myself this season because I can see some sort of long term plan there, and it is better than watching a bunch of thirty-somethings just going through the motions.

Phew! Glad I got that off my chest!:038:

Great post.
I agree with what you have said, but unfortunately there are people who want success yesterday and dont look at the fuller picture. Fan pressure is a terrible thing if you are a director at a football club and the need to be seen to be on the fans side could outway the logiics of the situation. We all have to get behind CL and not allow the moaners to derail CL's plans before they bear fruit.

Brilliant as usual Dunc.

I hope people read this and take note. Fickle boneheads.

thank you very much Dunc.

will wait for the onepost whingers to add their thoughts now!!

why is these people NEVER post when we win a match?

and that Andy from long Eaton posts on the OS....reckons he went on Tuesday....posted at 10pm using his laptop....liar...we all know Andy from Long Eaton listens to the radio commentary!!

The negative feeling spouted by (I'd still say) a minority of fans I feel is sadly to do with our past. I can't read a whinging post without seeing 'MON managed to turn us around after 12 games, not 12 months' etc. The problem is they're comparing Levein to MON. MON took over a team that had been in the playoffs for a few seasons and had some decent players. Yes he bought in some future stars but only because he had some saleable assets at the club already, not many people were crowding around to buy Adams's players were they! Levein has had a much harder task on his hands, he's had to replace the whole squad of an average Championship team, not just supplement the squad of a top 6 Championship team like MON did. It will take far longer for him to be successful, this line about it being a long-term plan is not just an excuse for bad results now but rather an honest warning about what this season is going to be like and an acknowledgement that Levein is not clueless about our immediate prospects.

exactly what i think Leigh.

a lot of people seem to forget we were a yo-yo team before MON and look at our history with rosy specs thinknig it should be like that always!!

we were VERY lucky to have MON as a manager when we did imo,and whilst we shouldn't forget the great times under his tenure, the truth is we went far beyond anyone's expectations when he was here.

Last edited:
beaumontfox said:
exactly what i think Leigh.

a lot of people seem to forget we were a yo-yo team before MON and look at our history with rosy specs thinknig it should be like that always!!

we were VERY lucky to have MON as a manager when we did imo,and whilst we shouldn't forget the great times under his tenure, the truth is we went far beyond anyone's expectations when he was here.

Very True but we were still improving when he left i cant beleieve the influence he had on the team!!

I can say the MON days were the days i remember best as a city supporter and i would love to see them occur again soon, i think we have the squad to at least reach the playoffs and at least give it a good go!!

ScarboroughFox said:
Very True but we were still improving when he left i cant beleieve the influence he had on the team!!

I can say the MON days were the days i remember best as a city supporter and i would love to see them occur again soon, i think we have the squad to at least reach the playoffs and at least give it a good go!!
I wouldn't totally agree we were improving when he left. He left us with some great players, but they were not going to get any better. He was a one-off who made the team much better than the individuals themselves warranted.

Real Sharapova said:
I wouldn't totally agree we were improving when he left. He left us with some great players, but they were not going to get any better. He was a one-off who made the team much better than the individuals themselves warranted.

sorry i didnt really make myself clear i meant if he didnt leave! we were improving on out league position every year and went to places like Liverpool and beat them. If he stayed i think we could have got into Europe again through our league position

We certainly wouldn't have signed Akinbiyi/Benjamin or Cresswell.

But I think you are failing to see the irony of this point. Yet again after a post is made positive about the future, what do we do, end up talking about what might have been under MON.

he's gone, get over it, look to the future and support the team that CL is building.

Dunc said:

But I think you are failing to see the irony of this point. Yet again after a post is made positive about the future, what do we do, end up talking about what might have been under MON.

he's gone, get over it, look to the future and support the team that CL is building.
:038: :038: :038: :038:
although cresswell wasnt too bad selling him for far less than we paid for him was the mistake

Dunc said:

Cresswell was given a fair chance IMHO!!

and as forgetting about MON, how can you he played a massive part in the history of the football club and he got us to three cup finals and europe twice in the past ten years something that shouldnt be forgotten.

i can see your point we can look forward to the future but at the same time be proud of the achievements MON brought to the club.

From what i have seen so far CL has brought in some talent to the club and he knows what he is doing on the side of things but his squad selection and tatics need working on. For CL to play a massive part in the future of LCFC he needs to get a stable team down that can play together.

I for one am starting to look forward to Wolves now but feel come Saturday night at work im going to dissappointed again because with so much hope there is always the downfall

I actually think we will lose on saturday (again) but its the long term I'm getting at being positive about. Give it 4-6 months and we'll be between 8-12th and looking at a positive season in 2006/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566