The Gaffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic story

“The (Thai) owners have backed me both in bringing players in and in backing me as manager. I had speculation every month last year about somebody else having my job.’’

Can somebody tell me how the bit in brackets is relevant to anything?

Anyway, excellent article, I enjoyed reading it.

What's Bill Maynard got to do with anything?

Many years ago I heard something about Bill Maynard having some connection to Leicester City. Can anyone confirm or rubbish this Idea?
It does sound a little odd - although he lives in the area.

“The (Thai) owners have backed me both in bringing players in and in backing me as manager. I had speculation every month last year about somebody else having my job.’’

Can somebody tell me how the bit in brackets is relevant to anything?

I'm guessing it is to make a point about foreign (maybe even asian) owners. Ours have been good to him, yet others as named in the article from the small piece of land known as Asia are a bit mental and believe in lucky colours and numbers.

Many years ago I heard something about Bill Maynard having some connection to Leicester City. Can anyone confirm or rubbish this Idea?
It does sound a little odd - although he lives in the area.

Often used to see him attend at Filbert Street.

Thank you ThatSweetChilli for an excellent read. What made you choose "The Gaffer" as the title of the thread?

I just thought it summed up the article content. It's all about the gaffer and explores his personality and his mindset well. It certainly explains why he's so grounded, after all it's football and he recognises that there is more to life than football.

I never knew the story of the wolves or the fact that he would've been in the Forces had he not played football. Honestly loved reading this. I think it has actually increased my respect for him. He seems a very cultured person.

I just thought it summed up the article content. It's all about the gaffer and explores his personality and his mindset well. It certainly explains why he's so grounded, after all it's football and he recognises that there is more to life than football.

I never knew the story of the wolves or the fact that he would've been in the Forces had he not played football. Honestly loved reading this. I think it has actually increased my respect for him. He seems a very cultured person.

I realise that I am nit-picking and I agree with the second paragraph.

My unease is about the word "gaffer" which never appears in the article. Whenever I have heard it (thankfully rarely) about a person in charge it has been used rather disparagingly as with the Bill Maynard character. The word "boss" has always seemed more respectful.

My unease is about the word "gaffer" which never appears in the article. Whenever I have heard it (thankfully rarely) about a person in charge it has been used rather disparagingly...

I think it depends in what circle you revolve, David. I have certainly heard the word used disparagingly, but I've also heard 'boss' used in the same way too. In the north-east where I grew up, works foremen were invariably gaffers and I don't think there was any disrespect meant. The term would also be used to refer to and to identify some of the older men of the community - those who the younger people could look to for advice.

When I ran the InternetFoxes football team some years back, the players often called me gaffer. Perhaps I should check back with them to see if they were meaning to be disrespectful; I'm sure they weren't.

I've always understood that gaffer was a contraction of godfather, although I've got no evidence to support that. My godfather (and mother) used to bring me sweets.

Likewise Kasper in the pre-match interview. I've never considered it disrespectful and had no idea that others did. I always thought it was the standard name that all footballers call their manager.

Acceptable: Boss, Gaffer, Sir, Mr Masson, Colonel but not Bertie Big Bollocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570