Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded autumn/winter 2017/18 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be very unlike Leicester to exploit clubs and get over the odds for players in Jan. If we can send Slimani and Ulloa to clubs near the bottom for about £35m combined and use that money to add proper strength to our side in defence (or a surprise attacking addition) then it would the first time we've managed to take take advantage in that way rather than just give players away for less than we bought them for.
Top of my list to buy with any income would be Dunk at Brighton to add to our core of English early / mid twenties players. He'll be difficult to get though. I'm sure that Puel has a few at Southampton that he'd happily take. Stephens and Ward-Prowse would be on the list for me.

Chelsea have made a loan approach for Leicester City's Algeria forward Islam Slimani, 29, in their bid to sign a striker this month. (Mail)

I wasn't saying we hadn't made any money on players. More that we havent used market dynamics to sell players for a profit who have come to us and failed (or gone backwards) to clubs who are desperate for a gamble to pay off in Jan.
All of the players in Jeff's list either improved or achieved something whilst at Leicester and then left for fair price or above market price. (Lawrence and Wood fall into that category after their loan performances at Ipswich and Leeds).

Slimani and Ulloa fall into a different category where receiving a good fee for them would be us 'playing' the January market to our advantage....

I wasn't saying we hadn't made any money on players. More that we havent used market dynamics to sell players for a profit who have come to us and failed (or gone backwards) to clubs who are desperate for a gamble to pay off in Jan.
All of the players in Jeff's list either improved or achieved something whilst at Leicester and then left for fair price or above market price. (Lawrence and Wood fall into that category after their loan performances at Ipswich and Leeds).

Slimani and Ulloa fall into a different category where receiving a good fee for them would be us 'playing' the January market to our advantage....
We never loaned Wood to Leeds, we sold him to them.

Fair enough, but the headline transfer fee (which isn't usually publicly stated anyway) is masked by a whole wodge of other inputs, such as sell-on clauses, agents and signing-on fees, image rights, sponsorship, wages (which we may still be paying especially in a loan deal), bought out contracts, bonuses, etc which nowadays seem as big a factor as the traditional selling fee. There's also the obvious issue of replacement cost - maybe not in Slim and Leo's cases straightaway, but in an inflationary environment that's not playing the market to our advantage. The big "profits" we made on the reluctant sales to Chelski have disappeared and some.

Slimani at the Arsenal v Chelsea game last night

But the big news was that Mahrez was spotted leaving the Emirates after the game. Must be nailed on that he's going to Arsenal :icon rolleyes:

Yep, nailed on. Not just there to watch the footy, or see his friend N'golo play. Kante's been to the KP too. Does that mean we're resigning him?

So far it would appear that Slimani is going to Newcastle, Chelsea, Besiktas and Monaco.

£8M from each and we're quids in - and they've all got a bargain. I'm sure the FA would approve the deal.

That all depends on whether Besiktas are playing Monaco that week as he may be rested in time for the Champion's League.

If ground sharing can be made to work then why not playing sharing?

I just don't know which dressing room Slimani would sit in at half time. Should he listen to the team talk with a single ear plug in?

Maybe Puel wanted Riyad to realise that the grass was not necessarily greener!

Puel should have suggested that they both look out for the lesser spotted Drinkwater, rarely seen these days but with some alarming new plumage. It should serve as a warning of a slow, lingering, death of a footballer that thinks he can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566