Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need a replacement for Maguire if he goes. Soyuncu isn’t ready for this level yet and Benkovic is an unknown quantity at this stage.

Lewis Dunk would be a decent replacement. I’d seriously worry about us defensively if we go into the season relying on Evans/Soyuncu/Morgan/Benkovic.

Fortunately we already planned ahead for the potential sale of Maguire by signing two hot prospect CBs last summer. No way would I want to lose him at £40m but double that you can't argue with.

I think we need a replacement for Maguire if he goes. Soyuncu isn’t ready for this level yet and Benkovic is an unknown quantity at this stage.

Lewis Dunk would be a decent replacement. I’d seriously worry about us defensively if we go into the season relying on Evans/Soyuncu/Morgan/Benkovic.

Yep

Agreed. Morgan had some good games last season but was also woefully caught out at other times. He can do a job for certain types of games but not all season. Evans also probably won't be able to play every game.

Soyuncu didn't look ready, whereas Benkovic we just don't know yet. There's a big difference between the Prem and the SPL!

Also keep in mind another possible factor here - Brendan switched to 3 at the back for his first game in charge here, before promptly switching back. But is that the setup he wants to get us playing?

Agreed. Morgan had some good games last season but was also woefully caught out at other times. He can do a job for certain types of games but not all season. Evans also probably won't be able to play every game.

Soyuncu didn't look ready, whereas Benkovic we just don't know yet. There's a big difference between the Prem and the SPL!

Also keep in mind another possible factor here - Brendan switched to 3 at the back for his first game in charge here, before promptly switching back. But is that the setup he wants to get us playing?
he's never played it anywhere else so I would doubt it

He would but 40m? That is crazy money for a defender who’s part of a side barely avoiding relegation! Can we just remember how much Mr Jonny Evans was please...

Has this come from somewhere other than the story I posted in the transfer thread?

Genuinely interested to see whether it's being widely reported.

I think he's decent

I found a few rumoured articles. Nothing more. Just thought the move made sense really.

Doesn’t all these last few posts belong in the rumours thread?

He would but 40m? That is crazy money for a defender who’s part of a side barely avoiding relegation! Can we just remember how much Mr Jonny Evans was please...
That was more of an exception than the rule. In modern transfer fee talk, which I grant you is ****ing absurd, £40m is probably about par for a player such as Dunk. I think he's an excellent defender by the way and would be a terrific addition if we were to lose HM.

Can we just remember how much Mr Jonny Evans was please...
If that’s the benchmark for every defender then we may as well pack up and go home.

At £40m, two Lewis Dunk’s = one Harry Maguire.

Evans transfer was awfully managed by the selling club. They're supposedly offered something like 10 times what we ended up paying for him but turned it down and decided to get relegated anyway.

I really liked the look of Soynucu when I saw him play. I hope he gets more time. If Maguire goes we definitely need a solid replacement though. I'm all up for giving chances to the likes of Benkovic and Soyuncu but I don't want to piss around with this season. Benkovic may well be a top top defender in the Premier League but I'd rather us spend whatever it takes to get in a proven CB and let the survival of the fittest take place.

It's not ideal, but it's better to have too many well-performing players than not even if it means some will be unhappy and eventually sold. Benkovic does look fantastic and personally I have a feeling he will cement himself as our no.1 CB.

There appears to be no reliable source confirming the imminent departure of Maguire and there are still links to other centre backs going to Man City.

Does anyone have any reliable info that he is going?

There appears to be no reliable source confirming the imminent departure of Maguire and there are still links to other centre backs going to Man City.

Does anyone have any reliable info that he is going?
Check out the name of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570