Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media has made so many guesses that somebody must have got it right. Or not?

Any news on Harry's Old Trafford medical yet? It was today, wasn't it?
the scenes when he gets some sort of injury in our first preseason game tonight

Maybe. Probably the right message to be sending out though, from a negotiation point of view, in relation to possibly signing a replacement.
Absolutely. I have little doubt that this will be the official line but they will be working on getting in Dunk behind the scenes. He's not a patch on Maguire but Soyuncu scares the bejesus out of me and Benkovic has been playing against amateurs for the best part of a year before his ankle gave out. If these two can't step up then Morgan and Evans as a partnership will be a ****ing nightmare. I'd be okay with Dunk or Ake but we'd still be weaker defensively if Maguire goes. We cannot replace his quality unless we get lucky, unfortunately.

I'd be amazed if this had an ounce of truth in it. If Maguire goes, he will be replaced, and rightly so.
Yep, otherwise we can kiss away any chances of a top 6 finish next season.

Yes the price for defenders is crazy at the moment and there is no value, but then we’re asking for a world record fee for Maguire. A fee higher than De Ligt is going to Juve for!

It’s all relative. £80m for Maguire and £40m for Dunk. Maguire definitely isn’t twice as good.

I personally think Soyuncu looks like he could be a great player.

All of this negativity toward him is overblown.

I'd like to see him given a chance to play consistently, that's how defenders become less error prone

I personally think Soyuncu looks like he could be a great player.

All of this negativity toward him is overblown.

I'd like to see him given a chance to play consistently, that's how defenders become less error prone
he had problems settling and struggle early to learn English, once he settled in his performances picked up, the game he started with Wes when both Evans and Maguire were injured he looked every bit as good as Maguire, only one game obviously but giving him/Benkovic a chance over over spending a fortune on Lewis Dunk is hardly a massive gamble

he had problems settling and struggle early to learn English, once he settled in his performances picked up, the game he started with Wes when both Evans and Maguire were injured he looked every bit as good as Maguire, only one game obviously but giving him/Benkovic a chance over over spending a fortune on Lewis Dunk is hardly a massive gamble
Of course it is a massive gamble. It may well work out but it's a massive gamble nonetheless given what we have seen before combined with a lack of experience. Let's not be silly about it now.

Of course it is a massive gamble. It may well work out but it's a massive gamble nonetheless given what we have seen before combined with a lack of experience. Let's not be silly about it now.
we're talking about Lewis Dunk, Nathan Ake or James Tarkowski, they aren't world beaters we aren't talking about refusing to sign a top quality player, your refusal to even contemplate the possibility that not signing 1 of those 3 is just odd they simply aren't that good that signing them for £40m+ is a no brainier when.

If you don't trust Rodgers judgement then that's a separate issue

I'd worry more if we're expecting his replacement to do the Dora the explorer stuff. If we're after 2 central defenders to do some defending then I'll be happy with us taking that risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566