Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think Soyuncu looks like he could be a great player.

All of this negativity toward him is overblown.

I'd like to see him given a chance to play consistently, that's how defenders become less error prone
He has been a complete bomb scare whenever he has played for us. There’s a reason he hasn’t kept his place in the team each time he has come in.

Yes he could possibly become better if he played consistently, but how many poor performances and lost points are we going to risk in the hope that he’ll be better?

Arsenal being linked with a moved for Everton Soares, was a start for Brazil in the Copa America, fee is only around £30m if we aren't looking at players like this we need to hire a scout with detailed knowledge of South America

I think I'm right on saying that the links with Dunk have not come from either club. Certainly the Brighton ITKs have been perplexed by the strength of the links.

I think I'm also right in saying that Dunk is very good mates with Rodgers son. The links could well be being generated by Dunk's agent on his behalf because Dunk fancies the move to us.

If we were to sign Dunk, I'd be highly suspicious of the motive. We don't need another central defender. Indeed if Maguire stays, we'll surely need to loan one out.

Any talk of signing yet another central defender is preposterous. We've got loads of them.

But but but..... the Sun said he had been sold.... the Express said he'd been sold.... the Mirror said he'd been sold. ****ing bullsh*tting w*nkers.

No way they don’t come back in with the big money I reckon.

Got deadline day written all over it.

In which case, those thinking we need to spend big on a replacement are likely to be disappointed

In which case, those thinking we need to spend big on a replacement are likely to be disappointed

We managed to spend big on a replacement when Drinkwater left on deadline day. And that worked out OK...

From listening to Mark Ogden earlier I don’t think they can afford to until Lukaku is sold

I think I'm right on saying that the links with Dunk have not come from either club. Certainly the Brighton ITKs have been perplexed by the strength of the links.

I think I'm also right in saying that Dunk is very good mates with Rodgers son. The links could well be being generated by Dunk's agent on his behalf because Dunk fancies the move to us.

If we were to sign Dunk, I'd be highly suspicious of the motive. We don't need another central defender. Indeed if Maguire stays, we'll surely need to loan one out.

Any talk of signing yet another central defender is preposterous. We've got loads of them.
At one stage we had loads of strikers; Slimani, Musa, Okazaki, Vardy, Ulloa. Only one of them was any ****ing good. Numbers mean nothing if the quality isn't there. It is a nonsensical, unnecessary risk to let Maguire go without trying to replace him with someone of experience. We are weaker without him full stop; not replacing some of his qualities with a proven PL defender would be preposterous.

There’s a big difference between having loads of defenders and having loads of quality.

We signed Tielemans even though we have heaps of central midfielders. Perhaps we should have just played King and James for the season ahead.

There’s a big difference between having loads of defenders and having loads of quality.

We signed Tielemans even though we have heaps of central midfielders. Perhaps we should have just played King and James for the season ahead.

So you accept that we wouldn't need to replace Maguire. Your concern is that without Maguire we don't have enough quality in central defence.

This brings me back to Dunk. Are you saying that Dunk is of higher quality than our existing options?

What evidence do you have for this? Dunk is a kick it away, head it away type, who will be 28 this season and nobody else has ever considered to be a top central defender.

I'd pick Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Morgan ahead of Dunk. They all offer more.

Which three of our remaining four do you rate Dunk to be better than to justify signing him?

This brings me back to Dunk. Are you saying that Dunk is of higher quality than our existing options?
Yes of course he’s better than our existing options, apart from possibly Evans.

What evidence do you have for this? Dunk is a kick it away, head it away type, who will be 28 this season and nobody else has ever considered to be a top central defender.
Erm, my eyes?

Two full seasons of Premier League football where he has practically single handedly kept Brighton in the Premier League with some of his performances, leading to England call ups.

Maguire is going to be 27 this season. I’m not sure how Dunk going to be 28 is particularly relevant.

I'd pick Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Morgan ahead of Dunk. They all offer more.
I’m sorry but that is completely laughable. What evidence do you have that shows Benkovic offers more? Half a season in the SPL? What about Soyuncu? Watching a handful of appearances last season where he has looked completely out of his depth?

Benkovic is unproven and could possibly be great for us this season. Soyuncu will never be a Premier League footballer.

These are all opinions. You can all say what you think, but until someone plays in the team, you can’t possibly know who is correct.

Asked by Sky Sports News about potential replacements should Maguire leave, Rodgers added: "The club have been very good. If we lose him, we'd have a number of targets we'd look at."

Quick, someone had better remind him he has Morgan, Soyuncu and Benkovic waiting in the wings...he must have forgotten.

Personally I don't understand why Soyuncu and Benkovic being dismissed so quickly and seen as a gamble.
If we didn't 'gamble' playing young players we wouldn't have given Chilwell, Maddison, Ndidi and all the others a chance.

At the beginning of last season Richardo looked miles away from being a Premiership fullback. His defending was terrible. He settled and has been absolutely class for 3/4 of the season.

Of course it's possible Benkovic and Soyuncu will turn out to be turds. That's the risk you take when you buy any young player. But if we don't give them a chance we'll never know.

Yes of course he’s better than our existing options, apart from possibly Evans.

Erm, my eyes?

Two full seasons of Premier League football where he has practically single handedly kept Brighton in the Premier League with some of his performances, leading to England call ups.

Maguire is going to be 27 this season. I’m not sure how Dunk going to be 28 is particularly relevant.

I’m sorry but that is completely laughable. What evidence do you have that shows Benkovic offers more? Half a season in the SPL? What about Soyuncu? Watching a handful of appearances last season where he has looked completely out of his depth?

Benkovic is unproven and could possibly be great for us this season. Soyuncu will never be a Premier League footballer.
Oof, big claim in that last sentence.

It's not about 'writing off' our own players, it's about risk management. I think we genuinely have a chance of getting into that top 6 this season and I don't see why we would take a gamble by letting Maguire go without thinking about bringing someone else in. Benkovic and Soyuncu may turn out to be excellent players but then again, they might not.

I don't know if Dunk will be better than Benkovic but I know he's a lot less of a risk based on his performances over the last two seasons against the very teams we will be facing this year. This is what I mean about risk management. As for Morgan being a better option than Dunk... I mean, come on now. Let's not be silly about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566