Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you accept that we wouldn't need to replace Maguire. Your concern is that without Maguire we don't have enough quality in central defence.

This brings me back to Dunk. Are you saying that Dunk is of higher quality than our existing options?

What evidence do you have for this? Dunk is a kick it away, head it away type, who will be 28 this season and nobody else has ever considered to be a top central defender.

I'd pick Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Morgan ahead of Dunk. They all offer more.

Which three of our remaining four do you rate Dunk to be better than to justify signing him?
At last! Someone talking great sense in answer to the utter tripe being posted on this topic.

These are all opinions. You can all say what you think, but until someone plays in the team, you can’t possibly know who is correct.

...and even then there will be differences of opinion.

For example, I personally think Soyuncu looks like a decent player in the making. He knows what to do and keeps it simple, for the most part. He looks up when he has the ball, he looks to be positive yet he doesn't take the risky option - there's a decision making process going on. I like it. Sure, he has his 'wtf' moments but I see a player looking to learn. And he can only but learn playing alongside Evans and having Morgan in the squad.

As for Morgan being a better option than Dunk... I mean, come on now. Let's not be silly about this.

Are we dismissing Morgan again this year then?

He was excellent last season (as usual). I'd much rather have him than Dunk.

When Morgan shows any sign of losing his ability, you may have a point. Until then, everyone that has ever dismissed him has been proved wrong.

Some blinkered vision going on in this thread.
2 of our most consistent defenders started off very shaky. To the point some of our illustrious supporters were questioning these players of their ability as premier league players.
I'm talking of Evans and Ricardo.
As regards Morgan being excellent all season.
Have you forgotten his 2 red cards early in the season. the points we lost because of him?

Some of the comments aimed at the above 3, are exactly what some are accusing The Prince of without even seeing him have a run of games.

When Morgan shows any sign of losing his ability, you may have a point. Until then, everyone that has ever dismissed him has been proved wrong.
Some blinkered vision going on in this thread.
2 of our most consistent defenders started off very shaky. To the point some of our illustrious supporters were questioning these players of their ability as premier league players.
I'm talking of Evans and Ricardo.
As regards Morgan being excellent all season.
Have you forgotten his 2 red cards early in the season. the points we lost because of him?

Some of the comments aimed at the above 3, are exactly what some are accusing The Prince of without even seeing him have a run of games.

I really, really think that Morgan is an excellent central defender. But, he's only excellent when he has someone he can predict next to him who will run the area. For me, Morgan and Maguire is not a partnership that works well. You can see Morgan's panic when he turns round and Maguire isn't where he expects.

If we get 80m for Maguire, then he's worth selling. He adds a lot from back to front, but no player is bigger than the club for me and 80m really is a good price for us to get.
I don't think I'd be adding any more players personally. Even if we do sign someone considered to be consistent like Dunk, I'd say that's as much as a risk as Soyuncu, who I would say needs games.

Let us not forget but Chilwell made many, many mistakes in his first few games that often led to goals. And look where he is now.

It seems to me you cannot learn the pace and positioning of premier league football without playing it.

I'm not dismissing him. I said he wasn't as good as Dunk. He isn't. He did a good job when we needed him last year and I am sure he will have his moments again this season but I repeat, he isn't as good as Dunk. Do you think Brighton fans would swap them? Of course they wouldn't and neither would any manager in the league.

All this talk of 'dismissing' players or 'having no faith in our squad' is just silly, overprotective, even paranoid rubbish. Some of us would just like to see a proven defender help to catapult us into the top six whilst the chance is our's to grab. Making the point (I know you didn't but it had been made) that Chilwell 'made loads of mistakes at first but is great now', only serves to support exactly what I have been saying; why would we want to take such a risk with Benkovic and Soyuncu when we have a glorious opportunity? We've been here before and blown it, let's not do the same thing again because of a lack of forethought.

I have no opinion of Dunk whatsoever. Which, in itself, is not a good sign. Not a bad sign either tbf. It just means that he hasn't stood out enough for me to have an opinion, either way.

Now Aké I remember.

Why are some on here enthralled by Dunk? For me he is just a lump it, hump it and thump it player. He is not the only defender to go for should we need to.
They aren't necessarily. Ake would be a great signing along with many others. The fact is that some of us want to buy in some proven experience and quality if Maguire goes.

It seems to me that the majority of our best recruits have been punts, to one degree or another, and I think we should follow this methodology.

why is no one considering style of play? Dunk has played in an ultra defensive system in his 2 years in the prem, we don't play that way, what evidence do you have that he is capable of playing a more expansive way?

Same goes for Tarkowski

From The Express:

MANCHESTER UNITED could offer Leicester Phil Jones as they look to secure the signing of Harry Maguire this summer.

Unless this is Phil Jones plus £100m then they can **** right off to Bollockton.

why is no one considering style of play? Dunk has played in an ultra defensive system in his 2 years in the prem, we don't play that way, what evidence do you have that he is capable of playing a more expansive way?

Same goes for Tarkowski
So let's get this straight. For the past two years the same old suspects have been criticising Maguire for playing too high, running into mifldfield, not getting back enough etc.... Now we have shown some interest (allegedly) in a defender who stays put, prioritises clearences and challenges and has proven himself a very hard working dependable CB, we are moaning because he is 'too defensive'?

Excellent. Just so long as we are clear.

So let's get this straight. For the past two years the same old suspects have been criticising Maguire for playing too high, running into mifldfield, not getting back enough etc.... Now we have shown some interest (allegedly) in a defender who stays put, prioritises clearences and challenges and has proven himself a very hard working dependable CB, we are moaning because he is 'too defensive'?

Excellent. Just so long as we are clear.
I have never moaned about Maguire doing that, but that wasn't what I was referring to, even if the defender stays put they still will need to be good on the ball our system depends on it as they will be starting a lot of our attacks.

From The Express:

MANCHESTER UNITED could offer Leicester Phil Jones as they look to secure the signing of Harry Maguire this summer.

Unless this is Phil Jones plus £100m then they can **** right off to Bollockton.

Is this the same Phil Jones who was supposed to be the future of central defenders who he was signed from Blackburn? Who has played at full back, centre back and in midfield mainly because no one could work out what his best position is? No thanks, we've already got Daniel Amartey for that role.

...and even then there will be differences of opinion.

For example, I personally think Soyuncu looks like a decent player in the making. He knows what to do and keeps it simple, for the most part. He looks up when he has the ball, he looks to be positive yet he doesn't take the risky option - there's a decision making process going on. I like it. Sure, he has his 'wtf' moments but I see a player looking to learn. And he can only but learn playing alongside Evans and having Morgan in the squad.

Fully agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670