Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never moaned about Maguire doing that, but that wasn't what I was referring to, even if the defender stays put they still will need to be good on the ball our system depends on it as they will be starting a lot of our attacks.
And you don't think Dunk is good on the ball? He really is you know. He's no Maguire, I grant you but he's most certainly not a Gerry Taggart type hoofballer either. What about Ake? He is fantastic on the ball but you don't want him in either. From what I've seen of Soyuncu, albeit very little, I don't think he's looked great on the ball, quite the opposite in fact, neither has Benkovic particularly although he looked a very good defender against pub teams in Scotland. What about Morgan? Is he good on the ball? I think we both know he isn't but he'd be our backup.

You don't want us to invest in a new defender if Maguire goes but you want us to have a ball playing CB because it suits our style even though we haven't really any evidence that there is one of those on our books. You can't have it both ways.

And you don't think Dunk is good on the ball? He really is you know. He's no Maguire, I grant you but he's most certainly not a Gerry Taggart type hoofballer either. What about Ake? He is fantastic on the ball but you don't want him in either. From what I've seen of Soyuncu, albeit very little, I don't think he's looked great on the ball, quite the opposite in fact, neither has Benkovic particularly although he looked a very good defender against pub teams in Scotland. What about Morgan? Is he good on the ball? I think we both know he isn't but he'd be our backup.

You don't want us to invest in a new defender if Maguire goes but you want us to have a ball playing CB because it suits our style even though we haven't really any evidence that there is one of those on our books. You can't have it both ways.
I don't know about Dunk, that's why I am not hyped for signing him, if you say that he is good enough on the ball fantastic, still doesn't necessarily make me want to spend around half of the Maguire fee on him though.

My concerns about Ake are aerially, whenever I have seen him he seems to get beaten in the air quite a lot, swapping one of the most dominant aerial players for someone that gets beat often would be a mistake.

The story that Rob Dorsett broke yesterday about not signing a replacement came from the manager not thinking these players were worth the fee demanded, I place my trust in him, its that simple

I don't know about Dunk, that's why I am not hyped for signing him, if you say that he is good enough on the ball fantastic, still doesn't necessarily make me want to spend around half of the Maguire fee on him though.

My concerns about Ake are aerially, whenever I have seen him he seems to get beaten in the air quite a lot, swapping one of the most dominant aerial players for someone that gets beat often would be a mistake.

The story that Rob Dorsett broke yesterday about not signing a replacement came from the manager not thinking these players were worth the fee demanded, I place my trust in him, its that simple
Is that the same manager who said this yesterday?

"Of course, we can't leave ourselves short. There are obviously going to be targets that we have in mind if Harry was to move on, but we don't have to sell, we don't need to sell.’’

Is that the same manager who said this yesterday?

"Of course, we can't leave ourselves short. There are obviously going to be targets that we have in mind if Harry was to move on, but we don't have to sell, we don't need to sell.’’
where did he say the only targets are Dunk, Ake or Tarkowski? if Harry left and they signed someone from abroad for £15-20m great but spending north of £40m on any of the 3 players mentioned is a mistake

Car for sale:

Rolls Royce 2019 Model
5 year guarantee
MOT up to date and not required for 5 years
Excellent runner, reliable, smooth, turns heads and wins many street races.
£25,000 OVNO

Reply:

Really like the look of your car, unfortunately due to the price this is a bit out of my league.

I have an unreliable Ford Fiesta that has seen better days and is very expensive to upkeep as it keeps breaking down.

It failed its last MOT and probably should either be broken up and sold as spares or scrapped.

Can I offer you £15,000 plus the Fiesta in part exchange?

I used to buy and sell up-market cars but at the moment my business is tough.

Many thanks.

I wish I had time to watch as much football as others do. I consider myself to be able to confidently comment on our players, but my opinions on players from other teams are mostly based on highlights, so I’m certainly not able to say anything with any real confidence that it’s correct.

Dunk has been instrumental in Brighton's respectable defensive record, however he is also culpable for their habit of giving the ball back to the opposition, contributing to their lack of goals. He is not the answer for us should Maguire leave.

where did he say the only targets are Dunk, Ake or Tarkowski? if Harry left and they signed someone from abroad for £15-20m great but spending north of £40m on any of the 3 players mentioned is a mistake
He didn't. Nobody did. What are you on about now? They are options but I'm sure there are others. You are advocating not signing anybody at all, some of us are advocating a replacement. It's really not that complicated. I'd like us to sign a proven defender preferably from the PL but I've not limited my list to 2 or 3 names and neither have the club I would have thought.

My view upon the debate as to whether we would need a replacement, were Harry Maguire to be sold:

I would be happy to see Evans and Soyuncu playing together. I have not seen Benkovic, but from reports, he too should work with Evans. The concern would be what we would do if Evans was to pick up a bad injury. Two untested centre backs wouldn't be good and Big Wes is at the stage of his career whereby he needs help from a partner, rather than giving protection.

Ideally, we spin out the HM transfer for another season and blood Soyuncu and Benkovic otherwise, an incoming defender would be the safer option.

My view upon the debate as to whether we would need a replacement, were Harry Maguire to be sold:

I would be happy to see Evans and Soyuncu playing together. I have not seen Benkovic, but from reports, he too should work with Evans. The concern would be what we would do if Evans was to pick up a bad injury. Two untested centre backs wouldn't be good and Big Wes is at the stage of his career whereby he needs help from a partner, rather than giving protection.

Ideally, we spin out the HM transfer for another season and blood Soyuncu and Benkovic otherwise, an incoming defender would be the safer option.

The definitive post on the subject. I agree entirely.

You speak much sense. However, in your scenario we probably won't 'blood' Soyuncu or Benkovic. They'll be expected to settle for the odd cup game or filling in for an injury or suspension. We're not in Europe which might justify a bloated squad.

We signed these two players a year ago and have adapted them. If we keep Maguire, or sell him and replace him, we are still one central defender over what we'd want. Therefore we will need to sell or loan one of these two.

My fundamental argument is that is silly if we sell Maguire. Unless of course we replaced Maguire with someone clearly superior to our current options. None of the names that I've seen linked are anywhere near good enough to meet this criteria.

If we were to spend a lot of the Maguire proceeds on Dunk, it would stink, and be the first sign that the Congerton/Rodgers relationship is up to no good.

Last edited:
... and have adapted them....
How exactly? One of them we shipped out to play second division football in Scotland whilst the other got a few hundred minutes or so, most of which were under Claude Puel and his brand of nonsense football. Most of the training sessions they have been involved with have been in the systems used by Celtic and Puel respectively. Other than paying them and helping them to learn English, what have we done to ready them for PL football in the heart of our defence and what evidence is there that these 'adaptations' have been successful enough to bank on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566