Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2020 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not being awkward or anything, this is a genuine question - After the shitfest of an end to the season, using this formation, compared to the success we had for the first half of the season, using the system we did, why would you like us to use this formation? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm pretty sure BR's favoured formation is 4-1-4-1. But that's when he trusts the players who are on the pitch 100% and not just some but all. We work as a unit and if Ndidi is missing for example, we can't play that formation as he is just so important to the team overall. Mendy and Hamza don't offer the same even though Hamza has played there before.

Why would we agree to strengthen a side we competed with all season long?

Because we think of ourselves as LOL - Little Old Leicester. You'd rarely see Man Utd or Man City selling one of their most highly rated first-team players to Chelsea. But maybe we just are LOL. As our finances demonstrate. Having said that, Liverpool sold Torres to Chelsea, Arsenal sold Cole to Chelsea, Spurs sold Walker to Man City etc., so it's not totally strange.

Regarding our finances, Forbes estimates Khun Top's real time net worth at about US$3.1bn which I think is down from about $4.9bn in October 2019. But of course the majority of that is in assets, business value etc and when things resume with Thailand and toursim that will slowly increase presumably. This means relatively little to us though as BN pointed out, we haven't recieved outside finance for ages.

In fact, they've done very well not to pump their own money in. Khun Vichai's (RIP, I still can't believe he's gone) net worth when he purchased us was £150m at the time, since then King Power had had a phenomenal income and value increase. Now the "enterprise value" of our club alone is about £500m.

I'm afraid we may have to do an Arsenal for a few years by relying on kids, developing players and then selling them for a huge profit, and some excellent negotiation. I bet Arsenal miss the days of 4th place each season with Wenger - he did a stellar job managing the club during the time they were paying for their stadium. We essentially need another Europa finish next season to continue spreading our brand, increasing finance, attracting young and promising players etc.

One more thing on finance, the majority of our income is TV Rights, which i believe is still being paid to us in full? So whilst we would have lost roughly 20% of matchday revenue this season, I just think of it as a crappy signing. I hope future players have a pandemic clause in their contract where we don't have to pay them. Lazy ****s.

Slimani, Silva, Ghezzal and Diabate.

These, plus Gray. King is off the wage bill now, plus Morgan and Fuchs presumably agreed reduced terms to get an extension.

Plus whatever is left of the Maguire money - apparently we're due to an additional payment now that Man Utd qualified for the Champions League.

I would've thought there is enough if we can go offload those players, without needing to sell key assets.

I asked Jordan Blackwell from the Mercury on Twitter if we had budget for a big summer.

His answer:

Possibly not. I still think they’ll look to bring in around four new faces, but possibly only one who could be considered a ‘big’ signing. Expect that will be a creative player who operates out wide.

If we've got budget to do that without selling Chilwell, I'd be happy with that.

The only reason is because he's young and a left back?
Rubbish. He's a bloody good left back that could quite easily be England's first choice for the next ten years. He's extremely comfortable on the ball. He's a huge attacking threat for us. His defending has improved season on season.

Seriously, when he goes we will miss him.
Being England's left back is hardly something to be proud about, in my whole lifetime England have won absolutely nothing, they beat the likes of Tunisia and Scotland 1-0 then lose to every single decent side every time I can't remember a single time England have beat a good team in a competitive game.
Anyway I don't want Leicester to sell Chilwell but as others have said if we have to sell someone I would pick Chilwell over Ndidi, Ricardo, Soyuncu, and Maddison.
Chilwells best position is as wingback with 3 centre backs to cover his defensive frailties.
Only problem with this is we then can't play the 4231 system that Brendan wants to implement.
I do think Chilwell can improve and become a great player but at the moment he's not there.

"Anyway I don't want Leicester to sell Chilwell but as others have said if we have to sell someone I would pick Chilwell over Ndidi, Ricardo, Soyuncu, and Maddison."
Chillwell is nowhere near the same level as Ricardo not by a country mile he was our best player this season. Soyuncu is a precocious talent and we will struggle to keep him, this our biggest risk going into the new season IMO. I heard a daft rumour that Barcelona were looking at Ndidi I agree that Chillwell is a better player than Maddison at the minute.

Nice to see Chilwell finally getting recognition from the majority but I do also agree, if we got £80m for him and re-invested it well, I could see the logic in that.

Two big ifs though and a good left back is not easy to find so we could easily end up a lot worse off. Thomas looks a good prospect but no way ready to be relied on as a first teamer. Perfect for some cup and European experience and as a back up in case of injuries.

If what Graz has suggested above is correct though then that would be much better. Keep the regular squad, add a quality winger and 3-4 squad players.

I'd also be incline to keep Gray. He finished the season well and with him being in the last Yr of contract, we'd only really get £10-15m which wouldn't be enough to use to improve.

We're hardly blessed with wingers either. Perez shouldn't be played out there but either in the AM or 2nd striker role. That leaves us with Barnes, Albrighton & Gray and we'll need 2 players for every position so to add another makes sense.

I know people say we need to trim the squad but people won't be happy with an early league or FA Cup exit so we need to have a good number to enable to compete on 4 fronts and account for injuries & suspensions etc.

Chilwell is not a wing back either.

Just because he is quick does not make him a wing back.

He struggles when an opponent faces up to him and doesn't have the skill or quick feet like Ricardo. He is however, one of the best overlapping full backs in the league. When he's got a winger in front of him to link up with, his pace can be absolutely lethal which also creates an extra distraction and give the winger more time/space.

We really need to get the 3 CB and wing backs idea out of heads as we've never looked that great playing it and the results have been pretty terrible too.

4-1-4-1 by far our best formation, as proven by the first half of the season.

Sell, sell, sell. He will will be found out for any other club in the same way that he has been for us. He is an abysmal defender. Yes, he can run with the ball but he can't cross it and that's not a big enough pay off for the complete inability to stop anything coming into the penalty area when he is 'defending'.

He has flattered to deceive for some time and if some mug wants to spunk upwards of £60m on him then so be it. Maguire definitely strengthened Manchester United, Chilwell at Chelsea however, will give us a pretty easy target to aim for when we play them. He'll get skinned inside out all game by Ricardo.

I'm pretty sure BR's favoured formation is 4-1-4-1. But that's when he trusts the players who are on the pitch 100% and not just some but all. We work as a unit and if Ndidi is missing for example, we can't play that formation as he is just so important to the team overall. Mendy and Hamza don't offer the same even though Hamza has played there before.
But that’s exactly my point. It didn’t work even with Ndidi in the team. We’ve literally just seen that formation in use and it hasn’t worked, so why anyone would still call for it is beyond me.

****ing hell, seriously?!
10 years ago playing for England was seen as a step up from club level but in my opinion just being English and playing in the Premier league guarantees at least one cap.
I hate the international breaks they are shit and the football is pointless, Premier league and champions league football has overtaking England in the football pyramid, so yeah being an England Left back in my opinion isn't as good as it used to be.

Chilwell is not a wing back either.

Just because he is quick does not make him a wing back.

He struggles when an opponent faces up to him and doesn't have the skill or quick feet like Ricardo. He is however, one of the best overlapping full backs in the league. When he's got a winger in front of him to link up with, his pace can be absolutely lethal which also creates an extra distraction and give the winger more time/space.

We really need to get the 3 CB and wing backs idea out of heads as we've never looked that great playing it and the results have been pretty terrible too.

4-1-4-1 by far our best formation, as proven by the first half of the season.
Exactly what I’ve been saying.

Exactly what I’ve been saying.
To be fair, it was your post that inspired my point then but I have thought it ever since Rodgers has come in.

People were crying out for it in his first game away to Watford and we were crap, we reverted to what we know and improved dramatically.

I can understand why we did it at the end of this season but it is no way the way forward. Whatever people think, we don't have 2 wing backs to play it well enough as it means we won't play any wingers either. It becomes a double hindrance to us.

10 years ago playing for England was seen as a step up from club level but in my opinion just being English and playing in the Premier league guarantees at least one cap.
I hate the international breaks they are shit and the football is pointless, Premier league and champions league football has overtaking England in the football pyramid, so yeah being an England Left back in my opinion isn't as good as it used to be.
It's a bit strong to say it's 'nothing to be proud of' though, surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669