Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2021 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming Soumare is in, City priorities:

1. A winger that actually is what we hoped Under would be (Perreira would be perfect)

2. Another option up front to rest Vards (likely to be Edourd)

3. A left footed left back (Gosens would be amazing, more likely Bertrand)

4. A central defender for cover

Expect some outgoing:

1. Wes
2. Fuchs
3. James
4. Jakupovic
5. Under
6. Choudhury
7. Benkovic
8. Amartey(possibly)

I could see Praet or Mendy moving too. But I’d sooner they didn’t.

And then there are the contracts: Tielemans, Soyuncu, Ricardo all need sorting. Albrighton too.
Not convinced Eduoard or Bertrand are anywhere near good enough for our side, but I guess that they would be reasonable backup?

Not convinced Eduoard or Bertrand are anywhere near good enough for our side, but I guess that they would be reasonable backup?
I think Bertrand definitely would be. As a squad player and not a regular starter I think he would be a very astute signing.

I think Bertrand definitely would be. As a squad player and not a regular starter I think he would be a very astute signing.

He'd walk over broken glass to come to a club like ours

Can't find the link now, but saw a story yesterday from either The Mirror or The Sun that Chelsea are apparently interested in Maddison and we've set an asking price of £51m

If we have to continue with our policy of one big sale every summer to fund new signings, then I think Maddison is the likely candidate this summer - and probably our preference too. I don't want him to leave, he's still a good player even though his stock has fallen slightly with City fans over the last couple of months (not helped by the COVID party, but also by form and injury) and he's got a lot of potential.

But I'd much rather lose Maddison than Ndidi, Youri or Fofana. With the injuries to Barnes and Justin, those 4 are probably the only ones we're really at risk of losing this summer? Maybe Soyuncu too?

Also doing the rounds - apparently had an £18m offer accepted for Odsonne Edouard. Whenever I've watched Celtic he's done naff all, but obviously Rodgers knows his qualities and £18m is a relatively cheap gamble for any Prem club, particularly for a striker. With the Soumare deal apparently all but rubber stamped it's shaping up to be a good transfer window this summer...

Making a big sale once a year has been pretty crucial to our own development over the last few seasons. Difficult to see us splashing too much cash if we don't do it again this year but a lot depending on whether we get that Champions League place and the extra funds that would bring.

I've only watched Edouard twice and both times he failed to impress me. In fact, quite the opposite. Still, as said, BR does know him and he is a French U21 player so he can't be that shit.

I've only watched Edouard twice and both times he failed to impress me. In fact, quite the opposite. Still, as said, BR does know him and he is a French U21 player so he can't be that shit.
Even in his highlight reels he likes far too many touches for a striker in the PL.

His record for the French U21 is absolutely mint. Every chance he’s the long term heir to Benzama in the France squad.

17 goals in 13 appearances.

Also he has scored a skinful for Celtic, many under our old boss. I know the standard in Scotland isn’t as good, but his goal scoring record is pretty impeccable.

Add to that we are getting him at a bit of a discount due to his contract and I think it’s a good bit of business.

I don’t expect him to make an immediate impact, but between his age, his cost, and eye for goal, there’s reason for optimism.

What's with Bertrand being so in demand? Us, arsenal and a few others I've seen linked. He still a promising youngster?

What's with Bertrand being so in demand? Us, arsenal and a few others I've seen linked. He still a promising youngster?
Half decent squad player on a free and probably reasonable wage expectations.

No but he will be an able backup to James Justin and Luke Thomas.

BR knows Bertrand well. They were together in the youth set up at Chelsea and BR took him on loan from Chelsea to Reading in 2009.

When BR was at Liverpool, they were linked with Bertrand in summer 2013 and 2014.

We were linked to him in January 2020 too. Back then, BR said:

‘Ryan’s a player I know very well. We took him into Chelsea at 16 and he’s had a brilliant career. But we’ve got England’s number one left-back [Ben Chilwell], we’ve got a fantastic senior professional here in Christian Fuchs, and we have James Justin who can play left-back as well. At this moment in time, it’s not a position we would be looking at.’

Half decent squad player on a free and probably reasonable wage expectations.

Reasonable wages maybe but he'd probably be third choice. Considering the amount of duffers we've tried trimming from our squad it'd be odd to add another for the sake of it.

Reasonable wages maybe but he'd probably be third choice. Considering the amount of duffers we've tried trimming from our squad it'd be odd to add another for the sake of it.
We’ve also done well in the past from having positive influences in the dressing room and, with the likely departure of a couple of them next season (Morgan, Fuchs), maybe Rodgers has Bertrand marked down as helping on that front.

We’ve also done well in the past from having positive influences in the dressing room and, with the likely departure of a couple of them next season (Morgan, Fuchs), maybe Rodgers has Bertrand marked down as helping on that front.

Is he a smashing bunch of lads? Honestly haven't heard owt about him beyond watching him play. If he's a smashing bunch of lads then I'm all for it...does make me wonder why arsenal would be interested as he'll not fit in with them twats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566