Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2021 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin played better for us in his position this season until he was injured.
I think Justin was possibly player of the season for us until he got injured.

He didn't play LB the whole time though and having a right footed LB is not a long term solution - left footer will always have the natural advantage of the first time cross rather than trying to cut back on to their stronger foot etc.

Both are very good players but I don't think many managers would pick Justin ahead of Chilwell for a LB spot.

Chilwell was targeted by opposition managers as the weak link in our team, Klopp had him bummed big time in our 0-4 boxing day defeat.
Chilwell is clearly a very good player but he wasn't for Leicester, his attitude sucked with him going through the motions in game's.
If he actually turned up for Leicester we could of sold him for a bigger fee than Maguire.
We are better off having JJ play left back than someone that couldn't give a shit.

Chilwell is perfectly made for LWB

His weakest trait is his defensive positioning, and in particular guarding the back post on crosses.

In a back 3/5 then the wing back doesn't have as much responsibility for that, so it lets him focus more on the areas he's better at - attacking forward play and closing down the wingers.

We didn't play a back 5 as much when he was here, but it's no surprise he's looking good in that role.

Chilwell was targeted by opposition managers as the weak link in our team, Klopp had him bummed big time in our 0-4 boxing day defeat.
That particular game wasn't helped by Brendan playing a narrow diamond in midfield, which gave both their full backs licence to charge forward. Ricardo was similarly rinsed in the same game.

Chilwell was no great loss IMO, always saw him as a bit of a noncey boy. He was always pretty good going forward but weak defensively. His delivery improved too whilst with us but deny him that space to get in behind and it was practically pointless having him on the pitch. On his day he's a great player and in the last few weeks he's had that extra bit of impetus to perform with some silverware on the line but in general he's hardly been standout for Chelsea.

Why are people spending so much time talking about Ben Chilwell?

Even his old team mates dislike him.

Seems even more bizarre, considering our incesssant bleating about how with Wilf, Cags, Timmy and Justin, replacing our exiting talent, means we're up on the deal.

The days of the holes left by the sales of McLintock, Clarke, Lineker, Smith, McAllister, Draper, Heskey and Lennon, etc, etc ad nauseam leaving our cheap 'n cheerful squads are over, and we should be over it too,.

If anyone doesn't think that we badly missed Chilwell in the season just finished, I give up on them being able to objectively debate anything. Because it was obvious over and over how much weaker we were without him. Not surprising really as he's one of the most expensive left backs in history, first choice for club and country and now Champions League winner. But yeah, he's shit.

I didn't appreciate his way of leaving Leicester or the peculiar interviews he's given but I've written about that elsewhere. He's a bit immature and a bit of a knob. However, he's also an exceptional footballer.

It's worth reflecting on what we chose to do last summer. We had two capable right backs - Ricardo and Justin. We had an old hand (Fuchs) and a kid (Thomas) at left back. Of the two positions, we needed to strengthen the left. We strengthened the right. It didn't make sense then and it still doesn't.

If Ricardo had recovered as he should have done, the imbalance would have been even more obvious. As it is, Castagne has played right back most of the season. However, we've not got a left back worth the name. Thomas may become one, but he has a lot of rough edges for a side trying to win things.

I don't want us to have three right backs and a bunch of weak options on the left - be it a right back playing out of position, or a short term fix (Bertrand) or a long term prospect (Thomas). Injuries may have muddied things, but just like we haven't replaced Mahrez, we also haven't replaced Chilwell.

A very blinkered view IMO. It seems strange that somebody would pay the money they did for somebody who was "****ing terrible", and then suddenly they come very good, but never were for us.
Nope. They knew that defending would be mostly unnecessary, especially in the volume he was asked to do it with us. His attributes suit them. They were rubbish for out needs. It's not a miracle turnaround, I've seen him make the same old defensive **** ups several times this season for Chelsea but a combination of him not starting as many games and having to defend less means that his work going forward has proved valuable for them.
If anyone doesn't think that we badly missed Chilwell in the season just finished, I give up on them being able to objectively debate anything. Because it was obvious over and over how much weaker we were without him. Not surprising really as he's one of the most expensive left backs in history, first choice for club and country and now Champions League winner. But yeah, he's shit.

I didn't appreciate his way of leaving Leicester or the peculiar interviews he's given but I've written about that elsewhere. He's a bit immature and a bit of a knob. However, he's also an exceptional footballer.

It's worth reflecting on what we chose to do last summer. We had two capable right backs - Ricardo and Justin. We had an old hand (Fuchs) and a kid (Thomas) at left back. Of the two positions, we needed to strengthen the left. We strengthened the right. It didn't make sense then and it still doesn't.

If Ricardo had recovered as he should have done, the imbalance would have been even more obvious. As it is, Castagne has played right back most of the season. However, we've not got a left back worth the name. Thomas may become one, but he has a lot of rough edges for a side trying to win things.

I don't want us to have three right backs and a bunch of weak options on the left - be it a right back playing out of position, or a short term fix (Bertrand) or a long term prospect (Thomas). Injuries may have muddied things, but just like we haven't replaced Mahrez, we also haven't replaced Chilwell.
We didn't miss him. We missed Justin who was excellent when on the left.

Discussing his price tag is a ****ing ludicrous way of judging his quality. You spent two seasons telling us how shit Maguire was before Manchester United made him the world's most expensive CB. If money is an arbiter or quality then Slimani for us, Carrol for Liverpool, Drinkwater for Chelsea must all have been brilliant players.

I have seen Chilwell make the same old ****ing idiotic mistakes for Chelsea this season when trying to defend. Luckily for them, they had a proper LB on the bench hence them dumping Chilwell whenever they needed to keep a game tight. They bought him knowing full well that he wouldn't have to do a quarter as much defending as he did for us so they could fully exploit his attributes going forward. This wasn't our primary concern. We needed a defender and he sure as shit isn't one. He had an excellent game in the CL final just like he had a few for us but, on the whole, he's up and down more than a whore's arse in terms of his defensive performances. If we have a fit Justin playing at LB, we get top 4. Simple.

Luke Shaw, you know, the player you said was shit, has been far and away the best LB this year and fully deserved to start ahead of Chilwell for England.

If we had kept that Chillwell bloke, he would have been injured for most of the season knowing us.

I really don't mind West Ham. But some of their fans are ****ing deluded. You can have him

I stopped reading after:
We think the Hammers are far better placed to sign Tammy than the Foxes are.

FFS -

...than are the Foxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572