Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2021 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time last year, we had the likes of Gray, Slimani, Silva, Ghezzal, James, Morgan, Fuchs, Sowah, Knight, Under, Praet and Tavares on our books. All are now off our wage bill. There could be more if Choudhury and/or Mendy and/or Benkovic depart in the next few hours.

With due respect to any of those in the above list, these departures don't weaken us. They weren't key players.

We've added five. Soumare, Daka, Bertrand, Vestergaard and Lookman. To date, none have demonstrated anything and none have started for us. We are yet to see whether there are good/bad/indifferent signings.

Assessing our transfer window is impossible right now. All I'd say is that I was hoping for more. I don't know if you can claim that our squad is stronger or better. Three of the five additions are proven 'average' PL players. Two are young players from overseas with potential.

Our squad is smaller. Our wage bill is lower (I hope). And we've spent a lot of money getting here. I can't help thinking that after a promising start, our summer has been another pretty unimpressive one.

Since BR has been here. we've signed three successes: Tielemans on a permanent deal from his loan and added Justin and Fofana across the four windows prior to this one. I think you have to say that the jury is out over him and Congerton.

We seemed a lot more confident, innovative and progressive under Macia and Walsh. I know there were failings under them too but, for me, the evidence is building that Congerton isn't in the same league.

Rob Tanner has said with a bit of apparent authority that we want five new players; centre defender, left back, centre midfield, winger and striker.

For the left back he speculated that we might want an experienced player on a short term deal to cover Justin's absence and to enable Thomas to go on loan.

I can't see us spending on a left back. Much more likely a loan.

Fair play. Looks like Tanner knew what we were doing all along. He made the above statement back in April.

Newcastle have supposedly been after been him for at least two transfer windows. If Bruce was really that desperate to bring him in, and my God that tells you all you need to know about him and the state of Newcastle if he is desperate to get him, then they wouldn’t/shouldn’t leave it till the last day, again.

To be clear, having not sold any of our top players and adding young talent I believe makes us stronger, but only time will tell. And time is what they need!

last season we ended up with Amartey, Morgan, Fuchs, playing lots of minutes.
now we've got Vestergaard and Bertrand to cover for injuries and provide competition.

we had mendy and choudhury providing back up when ndidi was out. now we haev KDH and Soumare

We had iheanacho and perez to play centre forward with Vardy out. we now have ihenacho, perez and daka

+ we have lookman

i'd say we are a stronger squad but need to hope that the competition keeps everyones form up.

We haven't sold a first team player which is a massive statement about our advancement as a club. First because we didn't need to financially, and second because none of them were pushing for a move away. This is the most exciting aspect of our business this summer.

It has come at the expense of not particularly strengthening our first 11 though. With everyone fit I don't see Bertrand, Vestegaard, Soumare, or Daka starting games, Lookman remains to be seen but is not the sort of signing you expect of a Champions League chasing team. The squad as whole may be stronger though which could make the difference.

My only complaint is that right wing has been the biggest weakness in the team for several years but we chose to prioritize other positions. The Soumare signing in particular was confusing in this regard, his signing is a luxury And the money should have been spent on more vital areas IMO.

Glad we've not lost anyone but right now it doesn't feel like we've bought anyone to improve. I keep telling myself that the Kante twins didn't make an impact or start until a few games in.....maybe soumare and daka just need to settle in first. Lookman signing is baffling, cover for Barnes/Perez? **** knows? Maybe Ted weighs the same as a duck or has bought some top notch turd polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566