Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2022 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t believe we treat our players well, what’s wrong with us? They should be flogged daily, the bastards.

Could be something in treating players like shit. Barca just signed Lewandowski and they don't pay their players wages.

Are we being too nice to the unwanted players?

BR seems to include all of them through the main preseason plans irrespective of whether they are likely to feature or not. This is the right thing to do if you're a nice chap. However, it doesn't nudge them towards the exit does it?

At some clubs, and at ours under managers like Puel or Pearson, those who weren't part of the managers plans were simply excluded from the main group and didn't travel to training camps or play in the games. As a result, the players knew that they had to get out and so were more proactive about it.

A player made to train separately and told to find a new club will be on to their agent sharpish. A player treated very nicely might not.

It seems to me that we've gone out of our way to get about thirty players game time in preseason when we should have focused on twenty and left the rest out.
If players are treated in the way you seem to suggest, they may become entitled to leave the club with no fee payable. Probably not what we want or need.

If players are treated in the way you seem to suggest, they may become entitled to leave the club with no fee payable. Probably not what we want or need.

Eh? I'm just proposing the same as many clubs are doing right now. It's something we've done many, many times before. Sometimes you need to make it clear to players that their future is elsewhere.

Just look at someone like Choudhury. This is the fourth window in a row that we've been actively trying to move him on and he's still here because we were stupid enough to give him a contract well beyond his value to anyone. Because we're nice and include him and he knows that he'll get the occasional game, he can justify staying put. If we'd sidelined him and told him that he wasn't going to play under any circumstances, he'd be long gone.

Depends doesn't it, if you have players (reportedly) on silly wages that are adding nothing, then what's to lose by them just leaving?

Eh? I'm just proposing the same as many clubs are doing right now. It's something we've done many, many times before. Sometimes you need to make it clear to players that their future is elsewhere.

Just look at someone like Choudhury. This is the fourth window in a row that we've been actively trying to move him on and he's still here because we were stupid enough to give him a contract well beyond his value to anyone. Because we're nice and include him and he knows that he'll get the occasional game, he can justify staying put. If we'd sidelined him and told him that he wasn't going to play under any circumstances, he'd be long gone.
Doesn't make what I said incorrect though. And in a season like last season, we did have to play him.

Last edited:
Doesn't make what I said incident though. And in a season like last season, we did have to play him.

But if we don't get rid of players, there will be several who can't be named in the 25 man Premier League squad.

From last season's squad we've lost Jakupovic and Lookman. But we've gained Praet and Fofana, who is now too old to count as an under 21.

We'll want a third choice goalkeeper, so either Iversen or Stolarczyk would need to be included. That gives us 26 players for 25 places, meaning at least one senior player will miss out.

And then there are a number of other young players who no longer qualify as under 21s.
We're probably trying to loan out or sell Brunt, Hirst, Eppiah and Suengchitthawon.

But Callum Wright has done well, and impressed out on loan last season, so we might want to name him in the squad. If we do, that means another senior player will miss out. Choudhury and Bertrand would be the obvious candidates.

But if we don't get rid of players, there will be several who can't be named in the 25 man Premier League squad.
I know that and I know the root of the problem. But I don't think BN's suggestion has any merit in solving it.

The clues are there. Schmeichel spoke out last season about seeking a new challenge. He was given extra time off this summer when he would be vital if the club were serious about improving our set piece defending. Proper journalists were reporting that we'd made enquiries for the likes of Sanchez and Raya.

Add to all that the reports from Percy that we have to reduce our wage bill and Schmeichel is reportedly our second highest paid player on around £130k a week. Only De Gea, Kepa and Alisson are on more in the PL.

Maybe this is all a charade with Schmeichel attempting to tease us into giving him a new deal but I don't really see it. It actually feels as though the club and Schmeichel think that a parting of the ways this summer might be for the best all round.

Schmeichel has been a legendary player for the club and deserves to be remembered as the best keeper we've ever had in my opinion. His impact exceeds anything Banks or Shilton did in a City shirt. But time is showing him up. He is getting less and less confident coming off his line and it cost us a lot of points last season. His kicking is better than people say, but the next generation of keepers are just better at it than he is.

If will be a gutting feeling seeing someone else as our number one. But time has to move on and Schmeichel isn't good enough for a top side any more.

It feels a bit like the club are panicking now. Selling Kasper (assuming we're not allowing him to leave on a free) is all very well, but we probably need £20-£25m to even get close to replacing him. We don't have that money this season and there's no prospect of raising it at the moment.

I wonder if we're close to hitting the FFP limits and getting his wages off the books is what's driving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363