Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded winter 2021/22 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone wants to steal a march on the opposition for his signature by offering us a half decent fee I'd let him go this summer...

If someone wants to steal a march on the opposition for his signature by offering us a half decent fee I'd let him go this summer...
What would you consider a half decent fee ? £60 million taking into consideration only 12 months left on his contract come this summer ?

We'll never get £60 million for him in the summer.

Possibly this window if there was a mad bidding war no way £60 million when he has less than 12m on his contract.

We'll get around £30-35 million for him at best in the summer.

I'm going to be very interested to see what interest there is in him (now or summer) and, more to the point, how much is offered. And I say that without any inference. I really don't know what the market will be like for him.

Amartey is out of contract in the summer and I don't really see any point in keeping him. He's done a decent job filling it at times but he's just not the required level for us.

Three players enter the final year of deals - Tielemans, Soyuncu and Ricardo (although there has been speculation that Ricardo extended his contract but nothing said by the club). We cannot afford to allow them to leave for nothing so, if they aren't prepared to extend, we should be prepared to sell these players now.

If we were in the running for a top six finish, we'd maybe want to wait until the summer and the reality is that it's more likely to see us have teams interested then, but we need to generate income.

We also have a lot of players that aren't really contributing/worth keeping. We managed to get Benkovic out but there are plenty more.

Praet should bring in some cash if/when Torino make his move permanent as he seems to be doing well there.

Bertrand and Vestergaard have been unmitigated failures. The sooner we cut our losses the better. Choudhury and Mendy are both surplus to requirements. Perez also offers us nothing.

We've got a lot of rebuilding to do with this squad in the summer. The sooner we get on with it, the sooner we'll start to shape up. Any signings we make this month should be part of longer term squad development, and not a stop gap.

Several PL clubs have approached Eriksen and he's expected to make a decision this week. Given that we made an offer for him this time last year, you wouldn't be surprised if we were one of those clubs in talks.

Amartey is out of contract in the summer and I don't really see any point in keeping him. He's done a decent job filling it at times but he's just not the required level for us.
Our best defender for the majority of this season
Bertrand and Vestergaard have been unmitigated failures. The sooner we cut our losses the better.
Two of the worst signings in the history of football
Choudhury
Steady on, we might have discovered a new defender there

Amartey has been our best defender this season. But in a season where almost all/if not all other defenders have been the drizzling shits, him being the best of them is kinda like being the nicest guy in prison.

The squad needs to be shaken-up. I’d be happy to see us try and shift Soyuncu even if he wanted to re-sign. I don’t think we can ever again rely on Evans to be a regular. We need to look at signing a player who can be a regular and long-time partner to Fofana. In Castagne, Fofana, and Justin we have 3 parts of a very solid back 4. I’m not sure if we’ll ever see Ricardo get fit enough to be a regular or get back to his best form, which is a real shame.

The emergence of KDH has been a massive bonus. While I’m not saying he’s necessarily as good as Tielemans, or even the exact same type of player, I do think the loss of Tielemans will be felt less if KDH continues to progress and improve.

For me, I’d be okay with shifting any of the following:

Amartey
Bertrand
Soyuncu
Vestegaard
Praet
Mendy
Choudhury
Perez

I didn’t include Tielemans in that list but I think his loss is inevitable.

Several PL clubs have approached Eriksen and he's expected to make a decision this week. Given that we made an offer for him this time last year, you wouldn't be surprised if we were one of those clubs in talks.

I think this would be a very good low-risk signing. Bring him in now with the plan to monitor him and get him fit for next season. A fit Eriksen definitely improves us.

Doesn’t the current situation prove unless we are Man City we will always need and have people like Amartey who won’t let us down but are clearly not first XI players. Perhaps we have too many at the moment….but we seem to have needed them all over the past month, no?

I always thought that Under was brought in to help Soyuncu feel less isolated. Sadly Under gave the impression of someone trying too hard to secure a permanent deal, he lost his instinctive play & became more desperate/selfish.

I think Evans will play less games than Vardy. Can he continue to operate his way out of his condition?

Londonfox drops a list of
Amartey
Bertrand
Soyuncu
Vestegaard
Praet
Mendy
Choudhury
Perez
I agree that seeing some of those names on the team sheet fill me with terror, but can we find better alternatives that will be happy as the 4/5th choice selection?

I never want to settle for our expected goals/position /our lot. We have shown that we can over achieve season after season. Therefore the algorithms are wrong.
Ps. Please bring Fuchs back as a throwin coach. #marginalgains

Just for reference, here is a list of squad players who, by my reckoning, have been transferred out in the January window since we arrived in the Premier League - seven seasons.

Schlupp
Hernandez
Ibora
Benalouane
Slimani
Gray.

There's a smattering of loans out, too, but it's an average of just under one permanent transfer out per window.

Is Benkovic the "one" this time, or is there another?

I suppose to be nit-picking pedantic (which I believe this forum likes ;) ), Benkovic wasn't transferred out. He had his contract terminated (by mutual agreement) allowing him to sign another contract elsewhere.

Just for reference, here is a list of squad players who, by my reckoning, have been transferred out in the January window since we arrived in the Premier League - seven seasons.

Schlupp
Hernandez
Ibora
Benalouane
Slimani
Gray.

There's a smattering of loans out, too, but it's an average of just under one permanent transfer out per window.

Is Benkovic the "one" this time, or is there another?
None of those were as close to the first team as Amartey is now

If you were to rank our defenders from best to worst, Amartey would come in as our 8th or 9th best.

After 6 years here, he isn't going to improve. I'd much rather free a pathway for a young defender than have him clogging the squad up.

Yes, he's been a useful player this season for us. But if we ever need him in this way again then it's a systemic failure in our ability to keep defenders fit.

Amartey is about as good a squad player as we can expect, wanting to get rid of him because he's not alessandro nesta is just stupid. He clearly has a great attitude and is respected amongst his peers too.

Getting rid of him before we have adequate replacements who are better would just be plain stupid. He’s been an excellent back up this season

Currently we absolutely don’t have anything better , so it’s a no brainier to keep him until we do

While I don't particularly rate Amartey, if you're going on current form - he's easily been in our top 3 defenders, let alone top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757