The Jamie Vardy appreciation thread

For example...

Castagne has a better conversion rate than Vardy. Two shots, one goal.
Apologies buddy I meant since he has been in the premiere league and where he compares to other world class strikers, not sure where to find that data.

Apologies buddy I meant since he has been in the premiere league and where he compares to other world class strikers, not sure where to find that data.
You can get the shots and goals stats from premierleague.com
But that won't help for all time Premier League stats, because the shots stats don't go back far enough. Top scorer Alan Shearer has had no shots, for example.

Just been watching the winner again... what else is there left to say about him? We all know what what he can do and today he scored another classic Vardy goal. Last minute, beef with the opposition, slotted through and you’re holding your breath knowing he’ll do the defender and he won’t do anything silly with his shot.

He’s our best ever and while not a single Leicester fan underestimated him it still surprises and thrills me when he hits the back of the net. I can’t imagine a time when we’re lining up and he’s not there.

Just been watching the winner again... what else is there left to say about him? We all know what what he can do and today he scored another classic Vardy goal. Last minute, beef with the opposition, slotted through and you’re holding your breath knowing he’ll do the defender and he won’t do anything silly with his shot.

He’s our best ever and while not a single Leicester fan underestimated him it still surprises and thrills me when he hits the back of the net. I can’t imagine a time when we’re lining up and he’s not there.
Definitely need to make the most of it. We've got 2 years more at the absolute most. After that who knows?

20 goal per season PL strikers are the rarest commodity in the game & the vast majority of them cost money we can't afford. Even if we could afford it, they wouldn't come here. The only chance we have (or any club our size) is to get a surprise one before anyone knows who he is. Like with Vardy.

But even if by some miracle we managed to do that again, it still wouldn't replicate Vardy. 20 goals in a season & any other player would have been straight off to a "Big" club for untold millions. If we found a Vardy replacement we'd have him for one season.

We've 2 choices. Spend big & get a quality striker. We've tried that & they were all complete shite.

That leaves changing how we play to accomodate spreading the goals around between players rather than relying on a 20+ per season striker.

Either way the next 18 months are going to be shit or bust.

When he finishes it just won't be the same. We'll be back to having some random strikers who aren't here for more than a couple of seasons before realising its not as hot as where they came from.

The whole game will be less appealing

When he finishes it just won't be the same. We'll be back to having some random strikers who aren't here for more than a couple of seasons before realising its not as hot as where they came from.

The whole game will be less appealing
Agree. From the start he's played with the desire of a non-league player - chasing lost causes, harrying defenders, running down goalkeepers. He plays just as a supporter would, putting everything in for the shirt. But he's improved beyond all recognition. His movement and finishing skills seem to get better each season. Look at the goal yesterday - drifts along the line, spots the opportunity and bursts between defenders. It must be a joy for a midfielder as they know what he'll do. As for the finish, he never looked like missing, drawing the keeper and opening up his body to bend it in the corner. The reaction from Chris Wilder as he ran through says it all - there would only be one outcome. I was too young to remember Weller & Worthington but surely he's the best we've ever had??????

Deserving of a statue when he hangs up his boots?

Has to be surely - what else could a player do to warrant one? He's rejected the big boys, made it from nothing, and won arguably the most competitive league in the world as the most recognisable figure in the most successful outsiders team ever.
The only argument against this is whether you include Kasper and the rest of that season who are still here on there - but somehow they're less exciting so probably not.

I think Vardy will be a Leicester City icon forever, and a great statement to kids and adults that you can enter something late and still be a major success.

Has to be surely - what else could a player do to warrant one? He's rejected the big boys, made it from nothing, and won arguably the most competitive league in the world as the most recognisable figure in the most successful outsiders team ever.
The only argument against this is whether you include Kasper and the rest of that season who are still here on there - but somehow they're less exciting so probably not.

I think Vardy will be a Leicester City icon forever, and a great statement to kids and adults that you can enter something late and still be a major success.
So just to clarify for everyone, my opinion is yes

I recall saying before the season we won the championship that if NP started Vardy in the first game of the season, he should be sacked on the spot. Even though it was a ridiculous and flippent statement, it was indicative of how poor Vardy's first season with us was.

Since then he's gone on to prove us all wrong 1000x times over. I think in that first premier league season he gave us the best two moments for a very long time:
1. Scoring the 4th against Man U - what a finish and so cool.

2. Vardy at WBA when we needed to win more than ever - and one of the best away end celebrations.

Sometimes if I need a pick me up, I have a read through the the 'Jamie Vardy Rustler' thread on twitter.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463