The McCarthy poll

Have we missed Paddy McCarthy the past couple of months?

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we have missed him, I agree about being third on ability, but we do not have one player on the pitch at the moment that shouts and organises, McCarthy is that player. That is why he is captain.
I am not saying if he had played we would have loads more points, but I do think we would have more than we have now and not looked as lightweight and soft.

i wouldnt call him a reckless liability so i couldnt really vote.

Personally i would like to see all 3 of them playing even though i think McCarthy is reckless at times.

Kisnorbo would be the centre of the three talking them through and remaining captain in my opinion

Unless he could've scored a couple of goals then I don't think we've missed him, I'm be more worried about how bad things could've been with him

Last edited:
Both McAuley and McCarthy have been tried at right back. More square pegs though...

When did McCarthy play at right-back? I know that McAuley played there (at Cardiff and Colchester) when Nissa was injured so that Maybury could swap sides, but I don't remember McCarthy doing so.

In any case, I'm not sure whether the suggestion was that either of them should play at right-back - more the 3-5-2 arrangement with wing-backs that MON used to use so successflly.

Last edited:
When did McCarthy play at right-back? I know that McAuley played there (at Cardiff and Colchester) when Nissa was injured so that Maybury could swap sides, but I don't remember McCarthy doing so.

In any case, I'm not sure whether the suggestion was that either of them should play at right-back - more the 3-5-2 arrangement with wing-backs that MON used to use so successflly.

They would make a good 3 with McCarthy's strength and pace. We do now have two potential wing backs in Newton and Mattock (not sure about Newton defensively though). This would also allow Hume to play just behind the front two (probably his best position based on his time at Tranmere).

probably his best position based on his time at Tranmere.

:018: Jeff will be after you for that comment.:icon_wink

I have liked the idea of 3-5-2 for ages now (and said many times on here) we have struggled with RB and LB positions and been weak in midfield. This formation IMO deals with those problems, but I am no the manager.

One thing, which I have not seen mentioned, it was nice to see NW change the formation to 3-4-3 on Tuesday trying to force the game, something we have not seen for ages down here.

I think we have missed McCarthys motivation above all else. At the beginning of the brum game Kisnorbo was stood with his arms behind his back as they warmed up, McCarthy is normally out there shouting the players up, getting them pyched up etc.

How soon some of you forget.

This is the same McCarthy who gave away half a dozen dopey freekicks a game around the area, routinely got booked for idiotic challenges as he couldn't tackle/head, had fewer leadership skills than the tea lady, had no positional sense, no pace, bottled it under any sort of pressure and blamed everyone but himself for goals conceeded?

We miss him about as much as Josh Low.

I dont miss him and I dont think you will see him in a city shirt again.....

I think Yes and No. That's the pros and cons of having him - one of the only players who doesn't mind taking a few knocks for the cause, but just isn't all that talented...

Unless I'm going mad, he played right back in one his first games for us under Levein, and then again more recently (either early this season or back end of last season). I was hoping for someone with encyclopedic knowledge on these matters to remember.... but that'd be you Boc and you don't remember it!

Maybe I am giong mad after all.... :biggrin:

Yes, we have missed him. I don't buy that he's not as good of a defender as the others either.

Clean Sheet %:
McAuley - 25%
McCarthy - 24%
Kisnorbo - 17%

Goals Conceded (per game):
Kisnorbo - 1.51
McCarthy - 1.28
McAuley - 1.22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts