The Official "Holy Shit, Pearson is Going to Boro" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boro set to name Strachan as boss

Strachan has previously managed Coventry, Southampton and Celtic
Championship side Middlesbrough are set to appoint former Celtic boss Gordon Strachan as their new manager two days after Gareth Southgate was sacked.

Chairman Steve Gibson told BBC Tees that an announcement about the new manager would be made ahead of Saturday's trip to Preston.

But Boro confirmed on Thursday that first team coach Colin Cooper would take charge at Deepdale.

Strachan, who left Celtic in May, has also managed Coventry and Southampton.

Cooper will be assisted by fellow coach Steve Agnew and goalkeeping coach Stephen Pears.

Former England defender Southgate was dismissed on Tuesday, just hours after his team defeated Derby 2-0.

The victory took Boro to fourth in the Championship, one point adrift of top spot, following relegation from the Premier League last season.

Promotion is the only objective for the season

Boro chairman Steve Gibson
Gibson appointed rookie managers Bryan Robson, Steve McClaren and Southgate during his reign as chairman at the Riverside Stadium, but indicated he wanted a more experienced name in charge - with 52-year-old Strachan fitting the bill.

BBC 5 live's chief football reporter Ian Dennis said: "Strachan will be charged with realising Gibson's objective of winning promotion at the first attempt.

"Middlesbrough are just one point from the top - and Strachan will inherit a splendid opportunity."

Boro had suffered three defeats at home already this season, the latest of which came against Watford on Saturday.

606: DEBATE
Perhaps the passion burned bright inside Southgate - but not enough to lift his players and avoid the drop

Matt Newsum - BBC Sport
"When I sat down and considered our start to the season, I felt that the league table was actually more favourable than some of our performances," Gibson's statement on the club website read.

"Then I looked at the important games against the teams immediately around us, and took those results into account.

"In general the results and the performances have not been to the level I would have hoped for.

"Before last night, our five home games had brought in seven points. That will not get us promoted - and promotion is the only objective for the season."

Middlesbrough 2-0 Derby (UK only)
Strachan is a former Scotland international midfielder who played for Dundee, Aberdeen, Manchester United, Leeds and Coventry during a successful career.

He became player-manager of Coventry in 1996 and remained at the club until his dismissal at the end of the 2000-01 season.

Strachan took over at Saints in October 2001 and took the club to the 2003 FA Cup Final before resigning in February 2004.

The Scot succeeded Martin O'Neill as Celtic boss and won the SPL title in three consecutive seasons. He left the club after failing to retain the title last season.

Brilliant, I find it very strange that people like Strachan always find their way back to the hot seat of management.

Some Chairmen are very easily pleased.

A bizarre appointment for me. Would have stuck with Southgate personally.

I'd have gone for Pearson - IF I had been the Boro chairman.

Gibson is arguably one of the best chairmen in the country. He supports his managers with cash and gives them time to build a team. Over the last 15 years they have had 3 managers: Robson, McLaren and Southgate.

I disagree. Showing loyalty and giving a manager time is great in theory but not always in practice. McLaren did a very good job for Boro and was rightly supported by Gibson. Robson and Southgate, on the other hand, did not do very good jobs and both got the club relegated. Sticking with and backing a successful manager is always the right thing to do. Backing an ultimately unsuccessful manager and giving him too much time is not a good thing to do.

Had Gibson sacked Southgate halfway through last season I'm sure he would have been branded as 'trigger-happy' by some and the national media would be bemoaning the sacking of a 'up and coming English manager'. Middlesborough, however, may now still be a Premier League team.

I want a Board and a Chairman who will make the tough decisions and know when the time is right to step in and when the time is right to leave well-alone.

More importantly and putting 2 and 2 together, that is five, are we being softened up for NP's departure; Talk of Davids. and M&M not leaving us in the lurch, seems like a smoke screen to me.

It'll be interested to see if Pearson turns up, as scheduled, to the press conference tomorrow afternoon. He's supposed to be addressing the media at 2pm.

I'd have gone for Pearson - IF I had been the Boro chairman.

When did you give up on that dream? :icon_bigg

Where's the prawn sandwiches?

More importantly and putting 2 and 2 together, that is five, are we being softened up for NP's departure; Talk of Davids. and M&M not leaving us in the lurch, seems like a smoke screen to me.

And NP not posted on th official city site, surely makes it at least 6

Do you know The Don by any chance?

Last edited:
When did you give up on that dream? :icon_bigg

Not a dream I have ever had - not at any club. I waste enough money on the game - how much more is their futile investment?

Not a dream I have ever had - not at any club. I waste enough money on the game - how much more is their futile investment?

:icon_lol: I'd love to know how much other people piss away on watching this game every season. For me last season it was a worrying amount. I'm trying to keep it down this time but don't think it'll be lower than last season's total.

:icon_lol: I'd love to know how much other people piss away on watching this game every season. For me last season it was a worrying amount.

I never add it up. I don't want to know. If I knew, I might let the figure slip in conversation with SWMBO. That might have unfortunate consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669