The official, though undoubtedly misunderstood or derided, 24/25 VAR thread

If a penalty was given for every foul before and during a corner, there would be one every time.

It can't be given if it's before the corner is taken. That's why players usually try to do the pushing/pulling etc before the ball is in play.
And they won't be given every time for long, because players, stupid as they often are, will soon learn that they can't do it any more.

INCIDENT: Should Southampton have been awarded a penalty for Jordan Ayew holding Paul Onuachu?

GRAPHIC

DERMOT SAYS: "I thought it was a penalty. If you hold a player's shirt for five steps, which he does, that's sustained. They were of the opinion the goalkeeper would have got the ball anyhow."

STEPHEN WARNOCK SAYS: "I thought it was a penalty. You only have to look at other instances, like (James) Tarkowski, you know he's never getting the ball but he's bringing him down."

SUE SMITH SAYS: "You can't hold a player's shirt for that long. It's bound to impact his ability to get the ball."

INCIDENT: Should Southampton have been awarded a penalty for Jordan Ayew holding Paul Onuachu?

GRAPHIC

DERMOT SAYS: "I thought it was a penalty. If you hold a player's shirt for five steps, which he does, that's sustained. They were of the opinion the goalkeeper would have got the ball anyhow."

STEPHEN WARNOCK SAYS: "I thought it was a penalty. You only have to look at other instances, like (James) Tarkowski, you know he's never getting the ball but he's bringing him down."

SUE SMITH SAYS: "You can't hold a player's shirt for that long. It's bound to impact his ability to get the ball."

No wonder people get confused when supposedly informed people talk such bullshit.

The point of this thread is to hopefully improve our collective knowledge.

It can't be given if it's before the corner is taken. That's why players usually try to do the pushing/pulling etc before the ball is in play.
And they won't be given every time for long, because players, stupid as they often are, will soon learn that they can't do it any more.
I’d like to bring the attention to your honour of the Leicester v Derby game, many moons ago.
Before the corner kick was taken for us, their keeper fouled Robbie Savage.
Ref gave us a penalty.

From the laws of the game:
Direct and indirect free kicks and penalty kicks can only be awarded for offences committed when the ball is in play.

And...
. Holding an opponent
Referees are reminded to make an early intervention and to deal firmly with
holding offences, especially inside the penalty area at corner kicks and free
kicks. To deal with these situations:
• the referee must warn any player holding an opponent before the ball
is in play
• caution the player if the holding continues before the ball is in play
• award a direct free kick or penalty kick and caution the player if it
happens once the ball is in play

The definition of holding:
Holding offence
A holding offence occurs only when a player’s contact with an opponent’s body
or equipment impedes the opponent’s movement

No mention of it having to be "sustained".

The refs are just making up their own rules.

As a former referee, albeit in a different sport, the less "judgement"/subjective calls that have to be made make it a far easier job to do. There should be no grey areas.

As a former referee, albeit in a different sport, the less "judgement"/subjective calls that have to be made make it a far easier job to do. There should be no grey areas.
Spot on.

This one isn't subjective at all. It's clearly a foul. I honestly can't believe anyone is trying to argue anything else.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool821
2Manchester C  820
3Arsenal817
4Aston Villa817
5Brighton815
6Chelsea814
7Tottenham 813
8Nottm F813
9Newcastle812
10Fulham811
11Bournemouth811