The Stadium and missing fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
fickle freckle winkle whimsical laughter please.

35 snorkleburgers to watch a championship side?

thought I'd put my two pennies worth in.

1 Snorkleburger : 50 Pennies : 0.25 Marbles.

It seems like a bit of a vicious cycle to me. Ticket prices go up, so less people go, so the matchday experience is reduced, so less people go, more people get out of the habbit / find other things to do on a Saturday etc.

From a purely economic point of view, the club should be finding a set of prices that maximises total revenue (including the effect of increased merchandise, food sales etc.). My instinct is that we are slightly above that point at the minute. Also, that ignores the social (getting kids in, discounts for OAPs etc) and sporting (larger crowd = more support for the team) responsibilities of the club. I understand that prices are never going to be as low as people want them, but they do seem unreasonably high at the minute. That said, I have a ST and travel away and will continue to do so almost regardless of price. I'm the definition of inelastic demand!

The facts speak for themselves. We're doing quite a bit better than we were at this time last season yet gates are down 10%. There is more than fickleness at work here.

Id say the Bristol City game was the first where the general feeling in the build up was unanimously positive and the gate was up quite a bit over previous home games this season.

I also think in comparison, our OAP price is disproportionately wrong. The price is only a few pounds less than the regular ticket price. Having looked at several other championship clubs OAP's prices, the majority are half the regular price.

This won't solve the problem we have at the minute, but thought I'd put my two pennies worth in.

Similar story with students.

Id say the Bristol City game was the first where the general feeling in the build up was unanimously positive and the gate was up quite a bit over previous home games this season.

I would also say that the official gate of 22000 was underselling the true figure, It looked a lot busier and when I entered the ground with 3 minutes untill kick-off there were litterally hundreds of people queing for tickets at the sub offices.

Last edited:
The problem is that it's a bloody rip off to watch a football match. My season ticket works out as something like £17 per game, which I think is reasonable for this level of football but no more than that. If I didn't have a season ticket I wouldn't go. I could probably afford the £30ish now and then, but I wouldn't bother because I couldn't justify spending that amount of money on it, however well we're playing.

Last edited:
I never pay £30

That figure is based on the £28 I saw advertised at the sub-ticket offices at the Bristol City match, which is an extortionate amount to be paying to watch a game of football. As far as I can tell you can get a match ticket in advance for about £25. I still think that's too much. I think football as a sport is taking the piss.

Looks like you are right. Onto an extended allocation for Brum away at £27.

Personally I had to stop going so many away games. That's mainly down to the cost of travel. Also set back my plans for the 92 and began to fit trips away to visiting people or similar.

£30 is the watershed for me at this level. If we go up, we are looking at £35 to £50 every away game. So I will have to pick and choose there as well.

I do hope the trend of falling crowds continues because that hits the club where it hurts. Of course, I am a ST holder that is £20 per game. So the club is getting what I believe to be the true worth of the seat.

There was a family and friends offer on for that game though so might explain the higher attendance. I have a season ticket but I know from friends that don't that the high prices of normal match tickets puts them off coming as often as they would have done in previous years.

I would also say that the official gate of 22000 was underselling the true figure, It looked a lot busier and when I entered the ground with 3 minutes untill kick-off there were litterally hundreds of people queing for tickets at the sub offices.

I think that more season ticket holders turned up so the true figure was around 22000 whereas previous reported figures were way overstated due to counting the season ticket holders who weren't there.

I noticed my Notts County supporting friend on Facebook recently posted his ticket for their game at Sheffield United. It was £24, so in compariosn I don't think our £25 is that expensive. The club have to be careful though as they make commitments at the beginning of the season to STH's, and massively changing their prices mid way through a season or having lots of 'special promotions' will only mean they're mis-selling the ST and the benefits they offer.

I noticed my Notts County supporting friend on Facebook recently posted his ticket for their game at Sheffield United. It was £24, so in compariosn I don't think our £25 is that expensive. The club have to be careful though as they make commitments at the beginning of the season to STH's, and massively changing their prices mid way through a season or having lots of 'special promotions' will only mean they're mis-selling the ST and the benefits they offer.

I wonder how much price should be linked to the level of football watched. I was going to head down to watch Nuneaton vs Wrexham a few weeks back, so we were either away or it was an international break. I decided against because I thought £14 was a bit much for what I'd be watching. But I'd have been a neutral so that makes a difference.

Nuneaton fans want to watch their team as much as we want to watch Leicester and I'd say that's where the value for money stuff comes in. I reckon somewhere in the region of £15 - £20 is reasonable for a football match involving the club I support. If Leicester were charging £20 and I didn't have a season ticket I'd go down regularly regardless of the level of football we were playing.

Pricing, clearly, makes a massive difference to people. I had a couple of mates - Sheffield Wednesday and Bury fans - come with me against Bristol City because they though £15 was a reasonable price. My girlfriend is going with me to the Brighton match because it's costing her the same amount. These people can in no way be described as our core supporter group. But these are the people we need to attract if we're going to increase our attendances. You're quite right that season ticket holders need to be considered in this. I think a good membership deal would bridge the gap somewhat. Perhaps a 20% discount on a maximum of ten games, something like that, would be worth doing.

For info, after two seasons of Premier League football Norwich are charging £46 for the Jarrold Stand.

Cheapest or most expensive stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670