Those were the days!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motown Fox

This might be a bit of a bore for those below the age of 42-44 but it is 40 years tomorrow that Jimmy Bloomfield became City manager.

From the OS there is an article featured today on this matter and it just made me think that I grew up watching such a good team and that we were only 2-3 players from having a great team and one which perhaps we could have won something with. But the City board would not put more money on the line when we needed it when most of the players were getting older at the same time. So Jimmy they reckoned had to go and the board were that insightful they appointed McLintock and we all know how useless he was.

Any of the older fans on here have good memories (or otherwise) of the 70's teams Jimmy put together.

Last edited:
This might be a bit of a bore for those below the age of 42-44 but it is 40 years tomorrow that Jimmy Bloomfield became City manager.

From the OS there is an article featured today on this matter and it just made me think that I grew up watching such a good team and that we were only 2-3 players from having a great team and one which perhaps we could have won something with. But the City board would not put more money on the line when we needed it when most of the players were getting older at the same time. So Jimmy they reckoned had to go and the board were that insightful they appointed McLintock and we all know how useless he was.

Any of the older fans on here have good memories (or otherwise) of the 70's teams Jimmy put together.

I started the year before he came. He bought some really sylish and class players to the club(and the Birch)

Yes I started going to go to watch the City regularly about 1968 shortly before Allan Clarke signed for the City. My Granddad used to take me regularly and we had season tickets in the Kop end Wing stand until the mid 1980's. I have many great memories of the games and parts of the games where there was the magic they could produce. I remember a little of the frustration of not winning things but I remember more of us realising that the team was something special.

I've been watching the Classic Matches DVD this afternoon, I've had my leg up since a cartilage and joint smoothing operation on Monday evening, back to work tomorrow. I've started the exercises which are a bit sore but it's incredible that it's uncomfortable rather than outright painful.

All the best,
Martyn

Yes - Leicester have had more successful sides e.g. under Matt Gillies & then of course MON - but I doubt if they have had more stylish teams than those turned out by Bloomfield. Without deluding ourselves we played football that attracted regular interest from MOTD and neutrals.

Of course this success became the author of Jimmy's downfall. I think we were still in the top half of the top flight but the crowd and then the Board turned on Jimmy. One of the issues was some frustration when Jimmy stated that Laurie Cunningham (who moved from some London club to WBA ) was no better than the wingers we already had. Ironically later Cunningham played for Leicester - but he was well past his best by then.

Was Bloomfield the manager when we beat QPR in the FA cup in 1974? It could have been 1975
It was the 5th round at Loftus Road. Brilliant game and Joe Walters scored 2 on his debut.
Did anyone on here go to this game?

Was Bloomfield the manager when we beat QPR in the FA cup in 1974? It could have been 1975
It was the 5th round at Loftus Road. Brilliant game and Joe Walters scored 2 on his debut.

Yes and Yes. Joe never really reached those heights again - but I recall that one of the goals was a cracker.

Do you mean Joe Waters ? Sorry to be a pedant like

Do you mean Joe Waters ? Sorry to be a pedant like

Your correct, stupid mistake I must admit. I remember Joe Waters first goal, it seemed an age before he ran onto the ball and blasted it in. I don't think that stadium has changed much since.
I bought my tickets the week before on a Sunday from QPR's ticket office, though I can't recollect being with the home fans during the game. Great night afterwards!

I was also there. I still have the programme and cuttings from the Sunday Papers.
The Sunday Express did a Picture Special with a great shot of " Rangers 'keeper Phil Parkes flailing helplessly as new boy Joe Waters's first sails into the net." also the comment "Leicester's win was in the nature of a present from the players to Bloomfield, who was celebrating six years to the day as manager"
Yes, they were great days.

I remember Match Of The Day having the 'Joe Waters' game on that night - I stayed up late to watch it.

I was also there. I still have the programme and cuttings from the Sunday Papers.
The Sunday Express did a Picture Special with a great shot of " Rangers 'keeper Phil Parkes flailing helplessly as new boy Joe Waters's first sails into the net." also the comment "Leicester's win was in the nature of a present from the players to Bloomfield, who was celebrating six years to the day as manager"
Yes, they were great days.

3 Years with Orient and 3 with City.
I missed the QPR game as I sold my vouchers to someone I was at 6th form with, so he went instead. I made sure I went to both Semi's later on that season though.

I remember making sure I watched the MOTD footage as well. In those days we were not on TV too much except the odd occasion on MOTD and the local games they showed on ITV.

Joe was another young one who never really fulfilled his potential, went to Grimsby and was quite a fans favourite. Sadly died at quite a young age IIRC

Joe was another young one who never really fulfilled his potential, went to Grimsby and was quite a fans favourite. Sadly died at quite a young age IIRC

I'm not sure that you do recall correctly. He went down with cancer of the tongue about 5 years ago but I'm sure he managed to beat it and is still in remission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669