Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siouxsie

Since there appears to be advice on trains available here...

my daughter (teenage) needs to go to Brighton for the day this Saturday arriving 10am ish leaving 5pm ish. I've looked on the various websites but does anyone have any tips for a good route/ reasonable price?

The following Saturday she will be going to Portsmouth. Same thing

Thanks

my daughter (teenage) needs to go to Brighton for the day this Saturday arriving 10am ish leaving 5pm ish. I've looked on the various websites but does anyone have any tips for a good route/ reasonable price?

The following Saturday she will be going to Portsmouth. Same thing

Thanks

Does she have a railcard, and how many people will be traveling together?

It's a pity that you hadn't asked about this earlier. It would have enabled her to get a First Capital Connect DaySave ticket. That would only cost her £12.50 (presuming Adult fare) for the Bedford to Brighton part of the journey. Together with Advance Singles (possibly to St Pancras) at £7 each way, that would have made a total fare of £26.50.

Luckily the through route under London is open this weekend and her easiest journey will be just a single change at Bedford. If she just goes along and asks for a ticket on Saturday, she will be charged £61.10 (presuming adult, half that if child).

The cheapest way would be for her to do the journey would be for her to buy a series of Off-Peak Day Return tickets:

Leicester to Kettering - £9.30
Kettering to Bedford - £9.00
Bedford to Brighton - £26.50
TOTAL £44.80

All these tickets can be bought from the ticket office at Leicester before the journey begins. She would need to travel to Bedford on a train which stops at Kettering (most, if not all, of the trains that stop at Bedford do also stop at Kettering so that is no problem)

She would then change at Bedford and catch one of the very regular direct trains from there to Brighton.

As Jeff suggests, fares will be cheaper if she has a railcard or travels in a group of 3 or 4.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.Yes she does now have a railcard.

I'm not sure yet whether I'll be going with her. There will probably one other friend for the Portsmouth trip.

I hadn't realised before that it made a difference buying in advance - I rarely travel by train.

I'm going to Newton-Le-Willows from Accrington in a while.Can I get there for less than fourpence ?

I'm going to Newton-Le-Willows from Accrington in a while.Can I get there for less than fourpence ?

Travelling on a Thursday ?

In October ?

For less than fourpence ?

Without booking six months in advance ?

You must be a complete ****ing idiot........

Travelling on a Thursday ?

In October ?

For less than fourpence ?

Without booking six months in advance ?

You must be a complete ****ing idiot........

How about if I go via Truro ?

Is that Newton-le-Willows in Merseyside or Newton-le-Willows in North Yorkshire?

In Merseysde although I'm actually getting off at Earlstown

:icon_eek: You know the area - even though you don't spell Earlestown quite correctly.

The first Mrs Boc used to live beside the railway just south of Earlestown station. I advise you not to go there - it will only lead to trouble.

:icon_eek: You know the area - even though you don't spell Earlestown quite correctly.

The first Mrs Boc used to live beside the railway just south of Earlestown station. I advise you not to go there - it will only lead to trouble.

I lived in Liverpool for 7 years and have worked around the Warrington area.The job isn't based there,I have a mate who can get me a job I'm just going to see him for a chat,informal and all that.Newton-Le-Wilows it meant to be ok:102:

I lived in Liverpool for 7 years and have worked around the Warrington area.The job isn't based there,I have a mate who can get me a job I'm just going to see him for a chat,informal and all that.Newton-Le-Wilows it meant to be ok:102:

Newton-le-Willows is almost Greater Manchester - a much superior place. But Warrington? That's Cheshire - really posh!
:icon_wink

I'll give you 4/7 you get it :icon_wink

The missus has some friends in Warrington, nice enough in parts. Certainly no New Parks though.

Out of interest whats the cheapest way to get to falmouth and whats the quickest way (from Birmingham)

If you just turn up on the day and ask for the cheapest return ticket, the booking clerk will ask you for just over 112 of your hard-earned pounds. If you get yourself organised, are able to book far enough ahead and willing to travel on specified services, the cheapest Advance Single is £22.50.

From Brum, you need to get to Truro. There are some direct trains but at other times you will need to change at Exeter or Plymouth. Change at Truro for the branch line train to Falmouth.

Journey time - a little over 6 hours.

Last edited:
how far in advance are we talking for the 22.50 ? what about a return?

Depends when you are travelling - what day of the week - and on the date that the Train Operating Company can confirm the service. Cross Country are at the moment booking Monday - Friday services up to 12 December but weekends only up to 15/16 November. To ensure the cheapest tickets on this busy line, I would be checking availability at least 6 weeks ahead.

There are no Advance Returns. You have to buy two Singles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669