trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcukcov

Can anyone help as Im having some troubles with the train ticket system again!!

My bosses (2) need to get from the Hinckley area to London Euston for 10:45am in the morning but don’t want to have specify a return time as they don’t know how long they will be down there for. I have had a look at tickets and on thetrainline they keep asking me to specify a return time, even on supposedly “anytime” tickets.

They want a direct train with no changes and will be coming back the same day. In terms of train stations to go from they are happy to use Rugby or Nuneaton.

My bosses (2) need to get from the Hinckley area to London Euston for 10:45am in the morning but don’t want to have specify a return time as they don’t know how long they will be down there for. I have had a look at tickets and on thetrainline they keep asking me to specify a return time, even on supposedly “anytime” tickets.

They want a direct train with no changes and will be coming back the same day. In terms of train stations to go from they are happy to use Rugby or Nuneaton.

i'd wing it and just get on the train and see if you can get away with it

I always use an 'anytime' ticket, but have to state a return journey

Doesn't make any difference - you can just get on any return train you like

Anytime tickets do not require a seat reservation but some sites still insist that you choose one; you will not however be restricted to that train.

i'd wing it and just get on the train and see if you can get away with it

There's nothing to 'wing'; an Anytime ticket is not restricted to a single train.

In any case this is bad advice. If you did get on a 'wrong train' with a restricted validity ticket, the conductor *may* use his discretion and allow you to travel. If he does not use his discretion in this way or he works for a train company which does not allow him to use discretion, you will finish up being treated as if no ticket is held - you will have to pay the full single fare for the journey with no discount; often 4 or 5 times the amount you needed to pay. In extreme cases, it could lead to prosecution and a criminal record.

Ive sorted it now guys. £149 for the both of them by buying an advance single on the way out and an anytime single ticket for the return.

There's nothing to 'wing'; an Anytime ticket is not restricted to a single train.

In any case this is bad advice. If you did get on a 'wrong train' with a restricted validity ticket, the conductor *may* use his discretion and allow you to travel. If he does not use his discretion in this way or he works for a train company which does not allow him to use discretion, you will finish up being treated as if no ticket is held - you will have to pay the full single fare for the journey with no discount; often 4 or 5 times the amount you needed to pay. In extreme cases, it could lead to prosecution and a criminal record.

sorry :icon_redf

i manage to wing it from narborough to leicester when we go in town. i just pretend to be asleep or in the toilet. has worked everytime for me.

i've done the 7ish AM train down from nunny on mondays a a fair bit, not too bad

the real way to do it is get on without a ticket and hope they don't check you, then it will only cost £32 to get back (prob gone up at new year)

:)

I need a train ticket from leicester to london on the 31st jan returning on the 8th feb. Both journeys are during the daytime. I am happy to fix a time. On trainline the cheapest i can find is £47. However, i have been on megabus and seem to be able to get it for £16, but the site is quite difficult to follow, so im not sure if i am doing it correctly!

Could someone help me out please? Thanks.

I need a train ticket from leicester to london on the 31st jan returning on the 8th feb. Both journeys are during the daytime. I am happy to fix a time. On trainline the cheapest i can find is £47. However, i have been on megabus and seem to be able to get it for £16, but the site is quite difficult to follow, so im not sure if i am doing it correctly!

You can use megatrain on the way there for either 9 or 7 pound depending on what time you travel. Megatrain does not travel on a Sunday on this route so you would have to use trainline.com. the return ticket is 15quid so the minimum the return journey would cost is 22pounds per person.

You can use megatrain on the way there for either 9 or 7 pound depending on what time you travel. Megatrain does not travel on a Sunday on this route so you would have to use trainline.com. the return ticket is 15quid so the minimum the return journey would cost is 22pounds per person.

Getting good at this aren't you fcuk ?:)

Result. Thanks v much!

PS If anyone asks, we don't know each other and i haven't been surfing when i should be working.

You should have been able to find a pair of singles on trainline for £30 or less; they are still available now - but the suggested Megatrain option is even cheaper for the outward journey.

Please be aware that on your return journey, your train will be diverted between Kettering and Leicester, not calling at Market Harborough. The journey time will be at least 2¼ hours.

Getting good at this aren't you fcuk ?:)

You should have been able to find a pair of singles on trainline for £30 or less; they are still available now - but the suggested Megatrain option is even cheaper for the outward journey.

Please be aware that on your return journey, your train will be diverted between Kettering and Leicester, not calling at Market Harborough. The journey time will be at least 2¼ hours.

Ill never be this good!

I didn’t know about the diversion and extra journey length.:icon_wink

The same thing is happening for 8 consecutive Sundays from 1st Feb until 22nd March - and London Branch are praying that no games will be rearranged to the Sunday during that period.

Not a train question at all but can't be bothered starting a new thread just for one question..
How long would it take to travel from Accrington to Leicester by road and any suggestd routes.I know there are sites for such things but in my experience word of mouth is better on such things.

Not a train question at all but can't be bothered starting a new thread just for one question..
How long would it take to travel from Accrington to Leicester by road and any suggestd routes.I know there are sites for such things but in my experience word of mouth is better on such things.

M66 down to the M62, M62 east. Cut off via Huddersfield over to the M1 just north of Barnsley. Down the M1.

2½ hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47