Twinkletoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKFox

Not in the ODI squad for India.
Almost certainly means end of a his England career...
He can still turn a match though....

MKFox said:
Not in the ODI squad for India.
Almost certainly means end of a his England career...
He can still turn a match though....

I think he pissed off the management, as he stated he didnt want to tour to Pakistan this winter, wanted to spend time with his family and rest, then signed up to do Strictly Come Dancing, apparently it didnt go down to well within the corridors of power.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
I think he pissed off the management, as he stated he didnt want to tour to Pakistan this winter, wanted to spend time with his family and rest, then signed up to do Strictly Come Dancing, apparently it didnt go down to well within the corridors of power.
Exactly, ok he's no spring chicken but I'd certainly have him in the one dayers (don't even bother hf....:icon_razz ) ....am I alone?

MKFox said:
Exactly, ok he's no spring chicken but I'd certainly have him in the one dayers (don't even bother hf....:icon_razz )

I wasn't going to seeing as I've no fecking idea who you are talking about...

MKFox said:
Exactly, ok he's no spring chicken but I'd certainly have him in the one dayers (don't even bother hf....:icon_razz ) ....am I alone?

No I agree, MK I think as the recent one dayers suggest we lack a real quality one day bowler, somebody with the experience and skill to bowl at the death with Flintoff, I still feel we select bits and pieces cricketers in the one dayers instead of selecting the best XI.

DurhamFox said:
Gough is well past it. Move on.

He is as far as the test arena, and if we had true quality coming through to replace him then I would agree as far as the one day game goes as well, but I dont believe we currently have the quality one day bowlers around at the minute and therefore I dont believe we can afford to discount him.

Anderson, Plunkett, Ali and even Harmison to a lesser extent are nowhere near Gough in his ability to bowl tight spells in one day cricket, they are wayward and expensive. Goughy doesnt take the wickets now like he used to but what he does do is create pressure by keeping one end tight. Plus his ability to bowl at the death of an innings is second to none in this country IMO.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Plus his ability to bowl at the death of an innings is second to none in this country IMO.
and mine..

Gough's performances for England weren't that good in the summer. Runs per over 5.66, Average 44.10 and 10 wickets in 9 matches.

I think England are right not to choose him. I think there are several good young bowlers who have the potential to be excellent ODI bowlers. Kabir Ali, S Jones, Anderson, Tremlett and Plunkett. Gough is holding them back a bit.

MKFox said:
Fair point.

No dont agree, younger players need some experience around them as well, Goughy has loads of experience and he would have been able to help these youngsters along, offered advice, having Gough around would IMO help these bowlers improve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670