ULEZ & The Environment

My Daughter and her friends are off to Brighton this weekend (Pride) they were going to go by train....they are on strike so they will have to drive and use the park and ride in Brighton instead.

The train staff deliberately go on strike at any big events just to piss the public off, I for one couldn't care less if they shut all passenger trains in the UK permanently.
The thing that always baffles me is that Manchester do a great park and ride, but yoy can’t stay overnight. So if you’re going for a weekend there, it’s either drive in and get rinsed, or take the train and be late.

Park and ride - great.
Park and ride between 7 and 7 only - nonsense

The thing that always baffles me is that Manchester do a great park and ride, but yoy can’t stay overnight. So if you’re going for a weekend there, it’s either drive in and get rinsed, or take the train and be late.

Park and ride - great.
Park and ride between 7 and 7 only - nonsense
It's hit and miss at P&R some do allow overnight parking and some don't, as you have mentioned it would make so much more sense if they allowed overnight parking, it's like they we're designed for shoppers only.

It's hit and miss at P&R some do allow overnight parking and some don't, as you have mentioned it would make so much more sense if they allowed overnight parking, it's like they we're designed for shoppers only.
If you could drive to a park and ride, then stay overnight in a hotel and pick up the car tomorrow, you’d make a serious dent in the volume of motor traffic in the city.

As it is, leaving it overnight gets me a £90 fine.

Eh?

The UK needs to offer cheaper and reliable public transport. In Spain, they have cut the costs of public transport, which has helped the government keep inflation low (now 1.9%). I live about 12km from the city centre, the bus fare is now 0.33€, it would be the same if I lived 5km further out. If you take a second journey within 1 hour, including on the tram, prices are reduced by 50% if you use a prepaid transport card.
You can buy a national train ticket for 20€ for 3 months travel! There are, of course, restrictions, no HST or "long" journeys. The intercity buses have always been popular and reasonably priced, they are now cheaper and if you're in the 18-30 age group are 80% reduced.
I stay in Barrow when I'm in the UK. The bus into Leicester has now stopped (Kinch 2), and was always erratic and being cancelled when it was working. The government need to be willing to do something positive and to put their hands in their pockets to help the general population, not to concentrate on cutting taxes for the rich and big businesses. ULEZ is, in principle, a good thing, but to be acceptable to the general public they need to make it economically worthwhile.

ULEZ is, in principle, a good thing, but to be acceptable to the general public they need to make it economically worthwhile.
Except it's flawed in that you can have a 3 cylinder 1:2 Diesel car with a low emission but pre 2015 (Euro 5)and you have to pay £12:50 daily or you can have a V6 3:0 Diesel 4Wd that is post 2015 (Euro 6)that puts double the amount of co2 into the atmosphere put pay £0 emission charges.

You can have exactly the same car with exactly the same engine that comes off the production line 30 minutes apart, the only difference being the date they are registered, both cars will produce exactly the same amount of emissions but one will have to pay the ULEZ charge and the other won't.

I wonder who will be paying for the scrappage scheme for "Londoners" cars.

I wonder who will be paying for the scrappage scheme for "Londoners" cars.

Me. And, as someone who will benefit greatly from any reduction in particulates I don't see that as too great a burden
However, some twat from Surrey County Council has just said he wants me to pay for everyone in Surrey to be covered by the scheme as well!

Me. And, as someone who will benefit greatly from any reduction in particulates I don't see that as too great a burden
However, some twat from Surrey County Council has just said he wants me to pay for everyone in Surrey to be covered by the scheme as well!
I'm not overly convinced there will be a reduction in emissions, the only real way would be to ban fossil fuel engines altogether but obviously that won't be anytime soon.

It's not just people living in London it's also people on the outskirts that commute that will be affected by the ULEZ extension

The UK needs to offer cheaper and reliable public transport. In Spain, they have cut the costs of public transport, which has helped the government keep inflation low (now 1.9%). I live about 12km from the city centre, the bus fare is now 0.33€, it would be the same if I lived 5km further out. If you take a second journey within 1 hour, including on the tram, prices are reduced by 50% if you use a prepaid transport card.
You can buy a national train ticket for 20€ for 3 months travel! There are, of course, restrictions, no HST or "long" journeys. The intercity buses have always been popular and reasonably priced, they are now cheaper and if you're in the 18-30 age group are 80% reduced.
I stay in Barrow when I'm in the UK. The bus into Leicester has now stopped (Kinch 2), and was always erratic and being cancelled when it was working. The government need to be willing to do something positive and to put their hands in their pockets to help the general population, not to concentrate on cutting taxes for the rich and big businesses. ULEZ is, in principle, a good thing, but to be acceptable to the general public they need to make it economically worthwhile.
Not a chance in hell of ever happening in this country. I predicted pretty much everything to do with the future of public transport at the end of the 80s when the bus privatisations were rolling out.

Of course, I was argued with by people who were convinced that the future would be a ****ing rose garden.

Apparently in 35 years (so, by now essentially) 50% of people would be comfortable property owners, which would mean that for those who couldn't afford to buy, private rents would be cheap as chips due to low demand therefore reduced public housing stock due to Right to Buy would be irrelevant.
Huge numbers of us would be working part time & retiring early thanks to the passive income we'd all have from our share holdings & investments in a permanently booming economy facilitated by unshackling business from the state & uneccessary regulation.

Plus of course, energy prices would be a mere pittance thanks to competition driving down prices (!)

Same for buses & trains. For the same reason.

People bought into it all hook line & sinker. Biggest con trick in history.

& I repeat, it will NEVER change. There isn't any political opposition to it that matters. Labour under Starmer are every bit as in thrall to the corporate agenda as the Tories are. Just more endless pumping of public money into private hands to be gifted to shareholders. Money for nothing for people who already have plenty of it.

My Daughter and her friends are off to Brighton this weekend (Pride) they were going to go by train....they are on strike so they will have to drive and use the park and ride in Brighton instead.

The train staff deliberately go on strike at any big events just to piss the public off, I for one couldn't care less if they shut all passenger trains in the UK permanently.
Yeah. It's all the fault of the train staff.

Perhaps if they were treated with a modicum of ****ing decency by these ****s we have in charge, their Unions wouldn't feel the need to ask them to strike.

If you think the train staff, some of whom are already on incredibly low incomes and who are under the constant threat of redundancy, choose to lose a day's pay simply to 'piss the public off' then you're part of the problem.

What would be the point of striking on a day when nobody is travelling?

Yeah. It's all the fault of the train staff.

Perhaps if they were treated with a modicum of ****ing decency by these ****s we have in charge, their Unions wouldn't feel the need to ask them to strike.

If you think the train staff, some of whom are already on incredibly low incomes and who are under the constant threat of redundancy, choose to lose a day's pay simply to 'piss the public off' then you're part of the problem.
Mick Lynch publicly said he would target specific events to cause maximum public disruption to get his point across.

He did the Eurovision in Liverpool, the FA cup final, Brighton pride and those are just off the top of my head.

I'm not part of the problem as you indicated, I don't use the railways as it's vastly overpriced for a poor unreliable service, it can fold for all I care. But as I've said the union which is doing what it's members want by causing maximum disruption to major events.
And some of those staff are already exceptional well paid for very basic hours doing a job with little qualifications and very good working conditions.

I don't see many people championing the catering staff, the porters, the cleaners and all the other low paid workers when the highest paid workers as in the Dr's and nurses go on strike.

Mick Lynch publicly said he would target specific events to cause maximum public disruption to get his point across.

He did the Eurovision in Liverpool, the FA cup final, Brighton pride and those are just off the top of my head.

I'm not part of the problem as you indicated, I don't use the railways as it's vastly overpriced for a poor unreliable service, it can fold for all I care. But as I've said the union which is doing what it's members want by causing maximum disruption to major events.
And some of those staff are already exceptional well paid for very basic hours doing a job with little qualifications and very good working conditions.

I don't see many people championing the catering staff, the porters, the cleaners and all the other low paid workers when the highest paid workers as in the Dr's and nurses go on strike.
You clearly have absolutely no clue whatsoever what you're blithering on about. I mean nothing, nada, zip.

Including nurses and doctors in a bracket of 'highest paid workers' shows how unbelievably out of touch you really are.

You clearly have absolutely no clue whatsoever what you're blithering on about. I mean nothing, nada, zip.

Including nurses and doctors in a bracket of 'highest paid workers' shows how unbelievably out of touch you really are.
Bit unfair. My friend is a nurse & she managed to pay both her rent AND fuel bills AND student loan repayment last month with still enough left over for a bag of crisps & a haircut. Only worked 3 50 hour weeks in the month too, not 4.

Minted.

Ok. The fact my wife is a Pharmacist in a Dr's Surgery that employs all the different workers I mentioned and not one Dr at that surgery is on under £100k a year. My wife is on £40 an hour and the cleaning contractors are on £10:42 but yeah I have no idea what I'm "blithering on about"

Dr's and Nurses are in the highest paid brackets in the NHS.

Ok. The fact my wife is a Pharmacist in a Dr's Surgery that employs all the different workers I mentioned and not one Dr at that surgery is on under £100k a year. My wife is on £40 an hour and the cleaning contractors are on £10:42 but yeah I have no idea what I'm "blithering on about"

Dr's and Nurses are in the highest paid brackets in the NHS.
1. Doctors. Not Dr’s.
2. Your wife most likely works with GPs, not hospital doctors.
3. Doctor is a generic term. If you are talking about junior doctors, they are absolutely nowhere near the top earners in the NHS. In fact, they are dreadfully underpaid. Are you talking about SHOs? Consultants? Registrars? GPs? Clinicians? Paramedics?…..
4. The very fact you’re quoting hourly rates and not salaries is a huge part of the problem.
5. My wife works in both the NHS and Private sector As a senior practitioner in her field. She had to open her own clinic because she couldn’t make a living on what she was paid by the NHS despite her years of training, her years of accruing governmental enforced student debt and then years of service.
6. You really need to do your research and not get your info from GBNews
7. This has nothing to do with rail workers who are also appallingly treated by the government who subsidise the dividends of share holders in private firms and not the salaries of employees.

And of course he did, but not for fun or simply to annoy folk. That’s how strikes work. It‘d be pretty stupid to do it on days where there would be little to no disruption.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4563