US Election Result . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
That IS more my worry.
I had to write essays about Jean-Marie Le Pen, over 20 years ago, so I'm aware of the political strength that the far right has had stretching back to Marine's father. It's yet another thing they will grab onto, so I can see why you would be worried.

I knew about the first three on that list but I've never heard of the others, maybe I should have researched a bit more. It's a moot point though as I'm not a citizen so I don't get to vote.

I think the world has slipped into rebellion phase; those who feel overlooked are making their vote known, good or bad.

America has become terribly divided.

In 1956 I asked my father about the Eisenhower (R) vs Stevenson (D) election. He told me that the Republicans were like the British Conservative Party and the Democrats were like the British Conservative Party. Both parties believed in the same things and people would vote for Eisenhower because he was a great man (1).Nobody could claim today that Trump and Clinton had the same beliefs. (2)

The admirable Katty Kay pointed out on the BBC that Americans were becoming two tribes. They went to different schools, watched different media (3), parented differently and had little communication with each other. Andrew Neill added that a poll had shown that a lot of Democrats did not want their child to marry Republicans and vice versa.
A question: are people in England also divided into two tribes?

(1) Eisenhower was (IMO) the greatest general of the 20th century and had masterminded D Day the most complex military operation in History. In contrast Donald Trump; had organised Miss World.
(2) America was remarkably united except for African Americans - who did live very different lives.
(3) Britain is arguably worse on print media. American newspapers are basically local so there is no equivalent of the archetypical Guardianista or "Daily Mail reader"

And Johnson.
And Stein.
And McMullin.
And Castle.
And De La Fuente.
And Kotlikoff.
And Hoefling.
And Maturen.

I'm surprised that someone as intelligent as yourself fails to grasp the elector's mentality - especially after Brexit voting.

I think the world has slipped into rebellion phase; those who feel overlooked are making their vote known, good or bad.

And then the losing side in a democratic vote call the winning side's voters uneducated.

America has become terribly divided.

In 1956 I asked my father about the Eisenhower (R) vs Stevenson (D) election. He told me that the Republicans were like the British Conservative Party and the Democrats were like the British Conservative Party. Both parties believed in the same things and people would vote for Eisenhower because he was a great man (1).Nobody could claim today that Trump and Clinton had the same beliefs. (2)

The admirable Katty Kay pointed out on the BBC that Americans were becoming two tribes. They went to different schools, watched different media (3), parented differently and had little communication with each other. Andrew Neill added that a poll had shown that a lot of Democrats did not want their child to marry Republicans and vice versa.
A question: are people in England also divided into two tribes?

(1) Eisenhower was (IMO) the greatest general of the 20th century and had masterminded D Day the most complex military operation in History. In contrast Donald Trump; had organised Miss World.
(2) America was remarkably united except for African Americans - who did live very different lives.
(3) Britain is arguably worse on print media. American newspapers are basically local so there is no equivalent of the archetypical Guardianista or "Daily Mail reader"

I think your (2) negates a lot of what you are saying. In the good old days "blacks" were not even second class citizens.

I think we need to recognise that Trump was democratically elected by the people of the USA. He isn't a dictator or military figurehead who has taken power through a coup. We may think he's a dickhead but that doesn't change the fact he was "fairly" elected.

I think we need to recognise that Trump was democratically elected by the people of the USA. He isn't a dictator or military figurehead who has taken power through a coup. We may think he's a dickhead but that doesn't change the fact he was "fairly" elected.

I see you put the word fairly in quotes. It is a very convoluted process here, Trump won because he got the votes from the Electoral College, Clinton actually got more votes from the population than he did. To give you an idea how odd the system is, take Guam for an example, I believe that Clinton won there but they do not have an Electoral College vote, so in effect it wasn't worth voting.

That being said the system in the UK isn't particularly democratic either.

I see you put the word fairly in quotes. It is a very convoluted process here, Trump won because he got the votes from the Electoral College, Clinton actually got more votes from the population than he did. To give you an idea how odd the system is, take Guam for an example, I believe that Clinton won there but they do not have an Electoral College vote, so in effect it wasn't worth voting.

That being said the system in the UK isn't particularly democratic either.

And wasn't it that other mysoginist Bill Clinton who beat Al Gore even though Gore had more "votes". What goes around comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669