Vardy For England!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vardy's been stuck out of position and barely got the ball in his two starts and therefore the naysayers will say he's had his chance and not up to international class. As someone else said he may as well not have bothered.

Slightly off topic, but still:

20 attempts on goal by Jamie Vardy is top amongst frontmen. The Leicester man has ran riot over the last four and, as the underlying stats highlight, he’s fully deserved his five goals from Gameweek 5 onwards. Vardy also leads the way for touches in the final third (128), touches in the box (36), shots in the penalty area (17) and attempts on target (nine). Furthermore, only two strikers – Steven Naismith (seven) and Gabby Agbonlahor (six) have created more chances for team-mates than Vardy’s five. Vardy’s progress under new manager Claudio Ranieri shows no sign of slowing down. When compared to last year, his minutes per shot (up from 49.1 to 27.1) have risen substantially, and with his efforts inside the box shifting from an average of 1.1 to 2.9 this term, he’s scored 25% of his attempts, which is a major improvement on 10.4% from 2014/15. Furthermore, Vardy’s frequency of key passes has also improved, up from 65.4 minutes to 63.2 – all the more impressive when you consider he earned 12 assists in the previous campaign.

Well done Roy, you are indeed a tactical genius of epic proportions, managing to achieve something that no Premier League Manager has this season and that is nullify the threat of Jamie Vardy .....however you have clearly shown the way forward by playing him out of position on the left and then starve him of any meaningful or quality service.

Woy, you sir are a fecking spunk trumpet of the highest order, have you even bothered watching how Vardy plays, he is the top scorer in the prem by playing through the middle ....so here's a novel thought why not pick him and play him in his natural position you might get a pleasant surprise or maybe you don't want the headache!!!!!

He was playing the standing looking lost on the left wing role. Many other strikers have played this with similar effectiveness for England. A shrew tactic indeed as the opposition will never work out that everything will go down the right.

I don't give a toss about the England football team but they won ten out of ten to ensure they got to the Euro finals This was achieved without the need to risk our star striker contributing much and that suits me fine as he is now safely back on club business again which is far more important.

Well done Roy, you are indeed a tactical genius of epic proportions, managing to achieve something that no Premier League Manager has this season and that is nullify the threat of Jamie Vardy .....however you have clearly shown the way forward by playing him out of position on the left and then starve him of any meaningful or quality service.

Woy, you sir are a fecking spunk trumpet of the highest order, have you even bothered watching how Vardy plays, he is the top scorer in the prem by playing through the middle ....so here's a novel thought why not pick him and play him in his natural position you might get a pleasant surprise or maybe you don't want the headache!!!!!

I don't agree at all. If he wants to make it in the England squad, he will have to prove his worth, whether this is through the middle or out wide. It's not up to England to build a team around his strengths, he has to earn that right.

He's now been given two full games and two sub appearances and, apart from a set up for Sterling on Friday, he's been utter shite. He seems scared shitless, lacking any confidence. If he's playing to orders, then they don't know what they're doing. But I think I've seen Vardy like this before; when he first joined us. He didn't really believe he was good enough and it showed. I think he's playing exactly like that for England. Trouble is, he won't get many more chances to get that belief, In fact, if I were in charge, he's not get picked again.

Opportunity given, opportunity squandered. And that's nobodies fault but his own.

I think people are missing the obvious issue with Vardy in these games.

We are coming up against sides who are absolutely ****ing shite, insipid piles of non footballing spunk.

Vardy is far more effective when he has some room in behind or a team commits a few more than 1 player to an attack, how is Vardy supposed to play his way when stuck out wide against a backline that is deeper than my own personal list of talents?

He would be a better option against the better sides, teams who take the game to us a bit.

We are going to get embarrassed when we come up against a quality side, playing football that is similar in pace and style to that displayed in the outer Hebrides over 75 blind league.

**** em, **** em all.

I don't agree at all. If he wants to make it in the England squad, he will have to prove his worth, whether this is through the middle or out wide. It's not up to England to build a team around his strengths, he has to earn that right.

He's now been given two full games and two sub appearances and, apart from a set up for Sterling on Friday, he's been utter shite. He seems scared shitless, lacking any confidence. If he's playing to orders, then they don't know what they're doing. But I think I've seen Vardy like this before; when he first joined us. He didn't really believe he was good enough and it showed. I think he's playing exactly like that for England. Trouble is, he won't get many more chances to get that belief, In fact, if I were in charge, he's not get picked again.

Opportunity given, opportunity squandered. And that's nobodies fault but his own.

Sorry BN I have to disagree with that.

If we are picking players on:

A) Form
B) Potential

Then what England did to Vardy (and hundreds of others before him) is just plain wrong. England need to decide on a system(s) that they are going to use at tournaments and indeed in qualifiers and then pick the best players to fit those roles.

Wedging square pegs into round holes never has worked for England and you would think having won the square route of **** all in nearly 50 years we would have learnt something, wouldn't you?

Vardy should have played alongside Kane or been a straight replacement for him. Sticking him out on the wing only confirmed two things that I could see:

1) Vardy isn't a winger (surprise).
2) Woy is a eejit (surprise again).

One day we might actually see an England team with 11 players on the pitch playing to their strengths.

BN, can't agree with you on this. When Rooney was played out on the left wing for England, he was totally abysmal. No player played particularly well on that pitch except Barkley. O-Chamberlain was particularly poor apart from his goal as was the amount of misplaced passes and loss of possession by the whole team.

BN your posts just recently have been a little more measured, but on this occasion I believe your absolutely wrong. No doubt Vardy was asked to play on the wing, not his natural position, and in my opinion Hodgson effectively nullified him. The game plan was to go through the middle after a very slow build up, via Barkley and Kane, which is the total opposite to how Vardy plays. Vardy needs quick balls from the midfielders through either the left of right inside channels, then he can use his biggest assest his speed, he can then lay the ball off for others or take it on himself. Where you get the idea he is 'scared shitless' and lacking confidence is quite frankly beyond me, its totally without foundation.

England last night looked laboured and slow against a very poor side, play like that against better opposition we will get beat. BN if you think Vardy has been picked because of media hype, rather than his abilities, then Kane certainly has. Last night Kane had at least four good chances which he missed, this is against a defence who have shipped goals all through the group stage because their marking is so poor. Kane will not get that amount of time and space again. As Volpone stated Rooney was asked to play out wide to accommodate other players, he was quick to voice his dissatisfaction about the role, because didn't suit his strengths. Vardy doesn't have that option, because he has not established himself as an England regular he is just happy to pull on the shirt and play where he is asked and do the best he can and I'm sure Hodgson recognises that.

BN your posts just recently have been a little more measured, but on this occasion I believe your absolutely wrong. No doubt Vardy was asked to play on the wing, not his natural position, and in my opinion Hodgson effectively nullified him. The game plan was to go through the middle after a very slow build up, via Barkley and Kane, which is the total opposite to how Vardy plays. Vardy needs quick balls from the midfielders through either the left of right inside channels, then he can use his biggest assest his speed, he can then lay the ball off for others or take it on himself. Where you get the idea he is 'scared shitless' and lacking confidence is quite frankly beyond me, its totally without foundation.

England last night looked laboured and slow against a very poor side, play like that against better opposition we will get beat. BN if you think Vardy has been picked because of media hype, rather than his abilities, then Kane certainly has. Last night Kane had at least four good chances which he missed, this is against a defence who have shipped goals all through the group stage because their marking is so poor. Kane will not get that amount of time and space again. As Volpone stated Rooney was asked to play out wide to accommodate other players, he was quick to voice his dissatisfaction about the role, because didn't suit his strengths. Vardy doesn't have that option, because he has not established himself as an England regular he is just happy to pull on the shirt and play where he is asked and do the best he can and I'm sure Hodgson recognises that.

Agreed Borderfox, the other massive minus for Vardy was (as I pointed out last night) the plaggy pitch - the ball couldn't be sent down the channels or over the top as it ran out of play every time.

In reality the pitch and the position he was asked to play (possibly because of the pitch and how England 'set up')
meant he was on a hiding to nothing from the off.

Very disappointing to watch a player who has performed so well for his club over about 15 consecutive games being reduced to 'England level' on such an important game for him.

Vardy wasn't the only player playing on a plastic pitch.

I only watched the game in passing at best but from what I seen, Vardy was barely invlolved in the game. Kane looked more of a goal threat, as did Ings when he came on.

I like Vardy and think he deserves a place in the squad but I don't have ridiculously blue tinted glasses and think he is our best option.

At International level you have to be good enough to adjust your game or play a different position. Sadly, in his very limited time Vardy hasn't shown this but he hasn't looked any worse than anyone else.

Hopefully he will get another chance in the upcoming friendlies as those recent games, even though they were competitive matches, were pretty much pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00