Vardy For England!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only watched the game in passing at best but from what I seen, Vardy was barely invlolved in the game. Kane looked more of a goal threat, as did Ings when he came on.

Both played straight through the middle. Didn't see Kane shunted wide.

Surely if there's one thing Vardy is then it is our best option?

Our style of play currently compliments the strongest aspects of his playing style - and in turn he dictates our playing style in order to get the best from him.

England have the luxury of not having to win matches, score goals and entertain because no one expects that to happen. Consequently they play a dull, insipid, laborious game plan that doesn't suit Vardy. It's nothing to do with him not being able to adjust his game - he's simply too good for them.

Both played straight through the middle. Didn't see Kane shunted wide.

Fair enough, as I say I only watched in passing so didn't get a full overview of the game but from what I did see, I probably would agree a bit, but not to the extreme, with BN.

I can recall a couple of times he had chance to close in towards goal and have an attempt but chose to go to the byline and cut back.

For us he would have arrowed in on goal and got a shot in but whether this was down to instructions or confidence we will never know but I would assume the former seeing as he is in the form of his life and fully deserves his chance with England.

It does seem as if a lot have blue tinted specs on in here though.

There was one moment last night that summed up his (and England's) performance for me.

Vardy was back helping defend (covering the full back's run I think), when England won the ball back. He just stood and waited to see what would happen next. If he was playing for Leicester the first thing on his mind would be to sprint forward into space expecting a quick ball forward. Maybe it's lack of confidence, or because he knew that the way England play they wouldn't have played it to him anyway.

There was one moment last night that summed up his (and England's) performance for me.

Vardy was back helping defend (covering the full back's run I think), when England won the ball back. He just stood and waited to see what would happen next. If he was playing for Leicester the first thing on his mind would be to sprint forward into space expecting a quick ball forward. Maybe it's lack of confidence, or because he knew that the way England play they wouldn't have played it to him anyway.

This is what probably had most effect on his performance as it's a completely different game England played in the qualifiers to what we play at City.

Maybe he'll be better when we have our backs to the wall against France, Italy & Spain and play more defensively!

This is what probably had most effect on his performance as it's a completely different game England played in the qualifiers to what we play at City.

Maybe he'll be better when we have our backs to the wall against France, Italy & Spain and play more defensively!

I'm unsure if you are referring to me in your previous 'blue tinted specs' post but frankly I couldn't give a rats whether Vardy and/or England are successful in the quest fir success in the Euros or the World Cup.

What I find irritating (which is ongoing virtually ever since I can recall watching England) is the constant playing a player out of position and certainly not to their strengths.

Vardy would have taken nothing from that game (in terms of his international development) as he was used woefully.

If that is what you mean by my 'blue tinted specs' then you have me banged to rights.

What I find irritating (which is ongoing virtually ever since I can recall watching England) is the constant playing a player out of position and certainly not to their strengths.

Yup, it's absolute bollocks this whole at international you need to adapt to a position. Kane would have been shit on the wing, as would Ings...as would actually top class forwards. yet every England lineup for as long as I can be arsed to think of has someone filling that position who can't play there. Who are England's left wingers though? Adam Johnson? Jason Wilcox? Jeremy Corbyn?

Yup, it's absolute bollocks this whole at international you need to adapt to a position. Kane would have been shit on the wing, as would Ings...as would actually top class forwards. yet every England lineup for as long as I can be arsed to think of has someone filling that position who can't play there. Who are England's left wingers though? Adam Johnson? Jason Wilcox? Jeremy Corbyn?

Albrighton?

According to Wiki, on 2 April 2009, Albrighton made his debut for the England under 20s He made his debut for U21 team in September 2010 during their Euro 2011 qualifying play-offs and scored just fifteen minutes after coming on as a substitute.

I almost don't think it matters in a way - if a player plays for his club as a winger - and he is the best at club level in that role - then he should be picked for England to play that position.

Playing Vardy, Rooney and A N Other out there is not going to improve the overall team.

England always seem to do this - playing Gerrard and Lampard together - it is just bollocks. Drop one of them and only bring one back when the other has a dip in form.

I almost don't think it matters in a way - if a player plays for his club as a winger - and he is the best at club level in that role - then he should be picked for England to play that position.

Playing Vardy, Rooney and A N Other out there is not going to improve the overall team.

England always seem to do this - playing Gerrard and Lampard together - it is just bollocks. Drop one of them and only bring one back when the other has a dip in form.

Totally agree

So, you're Hodgson, no injuries, you need to pick your squad. Who do you take to France in your forward group of, say 4 or 5? Is Vardy in it ahead of Kane, Welbeck, Sturridge, Rooney and Walcott? No?? Didn't think so.

Mr Vardy has a lot to do if he's to break in to the squad. He will have a few more opportunities, but he will need to be absolute mustard from now on in. I reckon Ings might have a say in the last place too.

So, you're Hodgson, no injuries, you need to pick your squad. Who do you take to France in your forward group of, say 4 or 5? Is Vardy in it ahead of Kane, Welbeck, Sturridge, Rooney and Walcott? No?? Didn't think so.

Mr Vardy has a lot to do if he's to break in to the squad. He will have a few more opportunities, but he will need to be absolute mustard from now on in. I reckon Ings might have a say in the last place too.

No, there is no way he would shift any of those to book himself a ticket to the finals...there is also no way on this ****ing earth he will impress enough to do so playing out of position.

No, there is no way he would shift any of those to book himself a ticket to the finals...there is also no way on this ****ing earth he will impress enough to do so playing out of position.

Good. All the better for us.

Interesting points. However, you're suffering from the bias of many other media outlets. Why Ings? Because he's now at Liverpool? Would you be saying the same for Austin were he playing for, for example, Newcastle and banging them in?

Vardy has scored more goals and set more up than any other player in the premier league. What does he have to do to get a start up front? If he has a great game on the wing... Then Roy has justification to play him there. I'm with the others, not BN here. If Roy wants to know if Vardy can do it at international level, he should be asking him to prove it in his natural position, not hopefully crammed in somewhere.

Danny Ings is out of contention now anyway I guess, but him aside who would you not take to France for Vardy if you were the boss?

I t
Danny Ings is out of contention now anyway I guess, but him aside who would you not take to France for Vardy if you were the boss?

I think he is a back-up and would only get picked if there is an omission due to injury to be honest.

Wayne Rooney
Daniel Sturridge
Harry Kane
Danny Welbeck
All forwards who are ahead of Vardy in the pecking order.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Theo Walcott
Raheem Sterling
All attacking midfielders/wingers who are ahead of Vardy in the running for the wide role he's been playing in.

Whether you agree with some of those being ahead of Vardy or not, they seem to be the first choices, with players like Welbeck able to fill either role.

Injuries will dictate whether Vardy gets in the squad or not and that's not me knocking him, that's just the way it seems to be.

I would probably be trying to work out if Danny Welbeck offered significantly more. Whilst these are all excellent players, do they all offer something completely different to each other?

Welbeck is a really, really good striker but how different is he in terms of what he brings to the team than Kane?

That said I'd still expect him to be a backup. He's not going to be able to prove to Hodgson that he's more valuable unless he's being played in the right position though. Nobody is judging, say, Leighton Baines because he's not a good right winger.

Roy loves Welbeck. He also adores Kane, Rooney, Sterling and Walcott. If Sturridge gets back to fitness and form he is better than all of them. He'll get selected even if he doesn't

Our Jamie only gets in if there's one or two injuries to the above list, regardless of any current or future terrible form of some of the others

That's just how it is.

Tough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00