Speculation Waggy to the Saints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness, it's a daily newspaper and the story only broke last night... When were they meant to put it in?

It's been on their website since before 9 this morning.

I'll stick by what I said in another thread: I think people really overrate the season he had under Pearson. I don't remember people going mad over him at the end of that season. He had a decent season, he came in and was a decent (though clearly inferior) cover for Fryatt, but he was nothing sensational.

I watch him and I think he just has very little footballing intelligence which is what makes me think that he won't improve much, his whole game is "head down and run," he never seems to look up and spot obvious passes when in possession and his off the ball work at trying to get into good positions basically involves running into random places with no thought in it whatsoever. I think at best he will go on to become a John Stead-esque journeyman, at worst he will become the next Francis Jeffers and get club after club above his level based on one decent season.

CHAMPIONSHIP NEWS

Martyn Waghorn: Set for Leicester exit

WAGHORN SET FOR LEICESTER EXIT
Leicester v Southampton. Click here to bet.

Martyn Waghorn has been told he is allowed to leave Leicester before the transfer window closes next week.

The 21-year-old striker, who completed a permanent move to the Championship club in a £2million deal last summer, has struggled to establish himself since Sven-Goran Eriksson's appointment as manager in October 2010.

Midlands rivals Derby are admirers of Waghorn, who has also been linked with Bristol City and Sheffield Wednesday.

But Eriksson is unsure which club the player will join.

"I had a chat with him a few days ago and we agreed he is free to find another club," Eriksson told the Leicester Mercury.

"I really don't know which club Waggy will go to.

"We really hope to take someone in but Waggy is in the same situation as last season when he didn't play regularly and he has started this season the same. He needs to play football, if not his career will go backwards not forwards.

"He wanted to leave three or four weeks ago and then we said 'no'. But, for his own sake, he needs to play. I know he is frustrated, he is young and he wants to play."

I'll stick by what I said in another thread: I think people really overrate the season he had under Pearson. I don't remember people going mad over him at the end of that season. He had a decent season, he came in and was a decent (though clearly inferior) cover for Fryatt, but he was nothing sensational.

I watch him and I think he just has very little footballing intelligence which is what makes me think that he won't improve much, his whole game is "head down and run," he never seems to look up and spot obvious passes when in possession and his off the ball work at trying to get into good positions basically involves running into random places with no thought in it whatsoever. I think at best he will go on to become a John Stead-esque journeyman, at worst he will become the next Francis Jeffers and get club after club above his level based on one decent season.

Excellently said.

On a rumours site below - could be Waggy but it may be Sam Baldock so they say - as he's said to have travelled down to Southampton this evening to hold talks with the club.
26 Aug 2011 00:20:38
Southampton will announce a new signing tomorrow. Not sure of position or fee but someone will be a Southampton player tomorrow.

Last edited:
Martyn Waghorn has rejected terms with Southampton, looks set to join Hull City #HCAFC - everyones favourite Fourth_Official on Twitter.

Martyn Waghorn has rejected terms with Southampton, looks set to join Hull City #HCAFC - everyones favourite Fourth_Official on Twitter.

... but still won't be allowed to leave until it is 100% certain he is not required as a make-weight in any deal involving Maynard.

Looks like his lack of intelligence includes non playing scenarios as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566