Waghorn to the Sheep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waghorn was a breath of fresh air when he came on for Howard last night. Why we are planning oout loaning on the former when the latter is so poor is beyond me. As much as I appreciate what Steve Howard has done during his time here, he is looking more and more past it with every game.

Last edited:
Waghorn was a breath of fresh air when he came on for Howard last night. Why we are planning oout loaning on the former when the latter is so poor is beyond me. As much as I appreciate what Steve Howard has done during his time here, he is looking more and more past it with every game.

The problem is that Yakubu and Vassell are also in front of him in the queue to play up top. I can't see Waggy starting too many games for us this year.

The problem is that Yakubu and Vassell are also in front of him in the queue to play up top. I can't see Waggy starting too many games for us this year.

Agreed, but who will be left on the bench to come on up front, would think we should have 2 striker options (Howard if we intend to launch it/if Yak needs to come off) & ????.

Surely he needs to bring another striker with some pace in if Waggy goes out on loan, does he see Danny as the option, no other young striker has even featured in the squad

Hallagher maybe? Someone else on their way in?

*I'm aware of the typo, but have left it there for effect.

Last edited:
Agreed, but who will be left on the bench to come on up front, would think we should have 2 striker options (Howard if we intend to launch it/if Yak needs to come off) & ????.

Surely he needs to bring another striker with some pace in if Waggy goes out on loan, does he see Danny as the option, no other young striker has even featured in the squad

Why do we? Why do we have to have a certain number of strikers "with pace"? Why is having pace such an essential part of being a striker and a style of play to the point it's the defining and only essential characteristic?

Why do we? Why do we have to have a certain number of strikers "with pace"? Why is having pace such an essential part of being a striker and a style of play to the point it's the defining and only essential characteristic?

Spot on

One who just knows where the feckin' goal is would a start....

My thinking is that a pacy striker can run around keeping the tactically clueless amused and always looks like he's doing something, obviously an essential part of the entertainment.

My thinking is that a pacy striker can run around keeping the tactically clueless amused and always looks like he's doing something, obviously an essential part of the entertainment.

True. The "I don't care if he's crap, as long as he tries hard" crew will be kept amused if nothing else.

One of my favourite (favourite as in a humourous way) clichés of the English footballing media is the oft used: "he has everything: pace, strength, power..."

As if those three characteristics are the only thing a player (usually a forward player) needs. I'm not even sure how "power" can be a personal characteristic which differs from strength and in what sense it helps you in the context of a football match. Unless it means their influence in a hierarchical sense i.e. they are close friends with the people who run the Korean betting syndicates which decide all these matches and so can ask for a few results in their favour.

Last edited:
Hopefully Waghorn has a bit more quality than either Hume or Dudley.

Did you see some of Dudley's misses this past week? Shocking stuff.

Elvis? I liked Elvis.

Last edited:
One of my favourite (favourite as in a humourous way) clichés of the English footballing media is the oft used: "he has everything: pace, strength, power..."

As if those three characteristics are the only thing a player (usually a forward player) needs. I'm not even sure how "power" can be a personal characteristic which differs from strength and in what sense it helps you in the context of a football match. Unless it means their influence in a hierarchical sense i.e. they are close friends with the people who run the Korean betting syndicates which decide all these matches and so can ask for a few results in their favour.

In physics, power is work rate. But doubtful that the average journalist knows this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669