Wales manager Gary Speed confirmed dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredibly sad news.

After reading the article about depression by Stan Collymore yesterday, who knows what he was going through.

Unfortunately we'll all find out very soon. It will be all over the paper in a matter of days.

R.I.P.

Some of the press in this country are straight out of the gutter, even the so called 'quality' end.

The Telegraph currently has a rolling blog about this tragic event and several contributors have rightly called for it to be taken down.

You'd expect that sort of crap from the red-tops but how low the Telegraph has sunk.

Shay Given looks completely cut up today. Says a lot about how well he was respected in the game

Some of the press in this country are straight out of the gutter, even the so called 'quality' end.

The Telegraph currently has a rolling blog about this tragic event and several contributors have rightly called for it to be taken down.

You'd expect that sort of crap from the red-tops but how low the Telegraph has sunk.

The gutter is reserved for the people that are undoubtedly racking their brains and coming up with tasteless Gary Speed 'jokes' right now.

Last edited:
I remember a documentary on 5Live about a year ago which talked about how so many professional sportsmen and women suffer from depression after their career is over because their whole life, training and everything was built around their sport and the adrenaline rush they get and when that suddenly is taken away from them when they retire and that a lot of people around them suddenly abandon them, so a lot of people find it difficult to adapt after retirement.

I'm sure there was one boxer on there, can't remember who, who said that he found that all the people around him like his agent, promoters, other people in the sport etc. offered no sympathy whatsoever when he was suffering from depression after retirement and they all completely ignored him and turned their back on him.

Not saying this is related to the Gary Speed thing, but depression in sport seems to be glossed over to easily, I seem to remember when Stan Collymore came out and said he had depression most people treated him with disdain and just came out with that horrible "get over it and man up" attitude and opposition fans mocked him.

I remember a documentary on 5Live about a year ago which talked about how so many professional sportsmen and women suffer from depression after their career is over because their whole life, training and everything was built around their sport and the adrenaline rush they get and when that suddenly is taken away from them when they retire and that a lot of people around them suddenly abandon them, so a lot of people find it difficult to adapt after retirement.

I'm sure there was one boxer on there, can't remember who, who said that he found that all the people around him like his agent, promoters, other people in the sport etc. offered no sympathy whatsoever when he was suffering from depression after retirement and they all completely ignored him and turned their back on him.

Not saying this is related to the Gary Speed thing, but depression in sport seems to be glossed over to easily, I seem to remember when Stan Collymore came out and said he had depression most people treated him with disdain and just came out with that horrible "get over it and man up" attitude and opposition fans mocked him.

I think a lot of this can apply to depression in general and not just in sport sadly

Absolutely numb, so shocked. Seemed one of those players who were well respected and well liked by all genuine football fans. RIP and condolences to his family in particular his two sons, devastating situation

The public get the press that they deserve

Have been on the Telegraph site and haven't seen anything on there that I would consider in particular poor taste. Are you referring to the article by John Ley?

The public get the press that they deserve

Quite right.

That said, given the circumstances of the death and Speed's role in the footballing world, I can understand the desire for information from the public.

As many have said why would this man make this choice?

Quite right.

That said, given the circumstances of the death and Speed's role in the footballing world, I can understand the desire for information from the public.

As many have said why would this man make this choice?

I think there is a need for information on it, otherwise we're in effect just sweeping it under the carpet and not addressing the problems. Obviously this needs to be done in a sensitive and non intrusive way that allows his family to grieve but I think it needs to be looked into to see whether it could be avoided in future, presuming the reasons are football related.

Puts so many things into perspective for me. Let football unite and mourn the sad loss of Gary Speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669