Wales manager Gary Speed confirmed dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tragic way to lose a loved one.

Awaits the jokes from the funny crowd.

Have been on the Telegraph site and haven't seen anything on there that I would consider in particular poor taste. Are you referring to the article by John Ley?

All of the comments that were left complaining about the blog were removed shortly after I posted.

It wasn't the content that many found offensive so much as the concept of a rolling blog about a tragic suicide.

Tragic news, as always one is left wondering how someone can be so tortured by depression or other circumstances that they see this as the only way out,especially where they have young family.
Always seemed a model professional and good bloke. Very shocked, RIP Gary Speed.

Shocked, stunned and saddened are the 3 words that spring to my my mind right now. Wonder if there will be a minute's silence/applause at Tuesday's game????

Tragic, you have to feel for his family

RIP

See post 36. I think that was supposed to be funny.

I think someone is :icon_wink

While I can sympathise, do you not think he's a bit selfish to top himself and leave a wife and children and a whole host of unanswered questions? I'll save my sympathy for those who deserve it thanks.

While I can sympathise, do you not think he's a bit selfish to top himself and leave a wife and children and a whole host of unanswered questions? I'll save my sympathy for those who deserve it thanks.
What a ****ing ridiculous, clueless, offensive, spiteful thing to say. You can **** right off.

Realist is that an anagram of fcuking stupid twat, unbelievable and unneeded comment

Jesus Christ! Are you Stephen? Depression is a mental illness, ffs! I'm not going to even comprehend it as I've never been there, but suicide from depression is essentially dying of an illness in the same way cancer is. You think people commit suicide on the spur of the moment? You don't think it takes months or if not years of mental demons to get to that point? To start saying that it's selfish is clueless beyond belief.

The whole "man up and get on with it" attitude is the problem, there's a ridiculous stigma connected to mental illness that it's either made light of or is seen as someone faking it. Depression is a horrible illness, not a selfish act. People need to be shown they can be open about these things and get help. It's great that Stan Collymore has been tweeting about this openly recently.

Last edited:
You're the only one who has made any reference to humour, looking for an argument much?

Go back and begin by reading the thread before questioning me sunshine, looking for an argument much?

Jesus Christ! Are you Stephen? Depression is a mental illness, ffs! I'm not going to even comprehend it as I've never been there, but suicide from depression is essentially dying of an illness in the same way cancer is. You think people commit suicide on the spur of the moment? You don't think it takes months or if not years of mental demons to get to that point? To start saying that it's selfish is clueless beyond belief.

The whole "man up and get on with it" attitude is the problem, there's a ridiculous stigma connected to mental illness that it's either made light of or is seen as someone faking it. Depression is a horrible illness, not a selfish act. People need to be shown they can be open about these things and get help. It's great that Stan Collymore has been tweeting about this openly recently.

Completely agree that it's a narrow minded comment.....but we don't actually know that it's related to depression yet. It could be anything and I don't think anyone should be jumping to conclusions or speculating, even if depression is probably the likely cause. It's a very sad thing and shocking thing to have heard today and people making jokes about it seriously need to have a long hard look at themselves, especially when it's directed at someone who had very few enemies.

Was about to say that exact thing. I've been reading Stan's comments a lot. Unbelivably, he's apparently been getting some criticism for talking about it! Shocking.

Please let's not let this thread turn into another argument though. If you must have this discussion/argument, at least have the dignity to take it into another thread and not this one about a tragic loss of life.

While I can sympathise, me being a Coventry fan, I thought it'd be amusing to make up a shit joke mentioning Coventry.

How incisive of you, you really have an eye for comedy in seemingly tragic circumstances.

Completely agree that it's a narrow minded comment.....but we don't actually know that it's related to depression yet. It could be anything and I don't think anyone should be jumping to conclusions or speculating, even if depression is probably the likely cause. It's a very sad thing and shocking thing to have heard today and people making jokes about it seriously need to have a long hard look at themselves, especially when it's directed at someone who had very few enemies.

That's a fair point, gregs, though if it does turn out to be depression, which seems likely, the idea that suicide from depression is selfish is ridiculous. It's a horrible illness taking someone's life, not someone being selfish at all.

As someone who was at A&E only last week with someone who'd attempted suicide and following my brother in laws suicide a couple of years ago, I think I have some knowledge of this subject.

You've proved yourself to be completely clueless. As such, please avoid commenting on things you know nothing about.

Speed didn't have to be depressed to do what he did. There are many and varied mental health issues that can lead someone to this end. I have known happy and outwardly sorted people find themselves in that place. I really hope you forever remain ignorant of something that can affect anyone.

To hang yourself is a strong statement. It is no 'cry for help'. He definitely wanted out and felt he had no alternative. To feel anything other than sympathy and sadness at such an act is to completely misrepresent a life and a death.

Go back and begin by reading the thread before questioning me sunshine, looking for an argument much?

I still don't see your point? There was one joke from somebody who most have on ignore but you decided to try to take the post OT with a snide comment about people's bad taste again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669