Wales manager Gary Speed confirmed dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you don't identify yourself as the gay stereotype, and you know that people will have that prejudice about you if you say that you're gay, then obviously that's a factor.

It's not about trying to make some people less gay, it's about understanding that gay people are different in the same ways that straight people are different. When someone says "he's straight", I don't immediately get a picture of a chest-haired Simon Cowell sort of guy in my head (that would be horrible by the way). In the same manner, that someone is gay doesn't necessarily mean they will talk like Alan Carr but when a large proportion of the gays on telly are loud and pink, that's the way it goes for some people unfortunately.

Plenty of gay people that are in the limelight that aren't like that, although they are the ones that are most likely to stick in your mind. There's Ian Mckellen and Stephen Fry to name two.

Plenty of gay people that are in the limelight that aren't like that, although they are the ones that are most likely to stick in your mind. There's Ian Mckellen and Stephen Fry to name two.
Both of whom I love (IANGWOC).

But if you want to love them IAGW, that's absolutely fine.

A similar thread about Robert Enke here...

http://talkingballs.co.uk/showthread.php/29582-Robert-Enke...?highlight=enke?goto=newpost

Only 27 posts before the first joke on there. A couple of people with a similar opinion to Realist, too.

Quite shocking some of the comments on there. I totally get the debate on the way he chose to commit suicide. I think the way he took his own life was inconsiderate (but probably spur of the moment rather than premeditated) and there's rightly some criticism there. I seem to remember someone committing suicide that way before and caused multiple unnecessary deaths by derailing the train that hit their car and that's unforgivable. Making jokes about it is tasteless though.

Sad news, a player that's been around the entire time I've been watching football and always seemed like a model professional. Never any shit or controversy about him, and a good footballer too.

Last edited:
How has that gone over my head? If you're trying to take the moral high ground over Rhydal then you're a hypocrite seeing as a few posts later you cracked a joke that was just as tasteless in that thread. Haven't seen anything in this thread to suggest that Rhydal has tried to shoot down any of the jokers, so you're not pointing out his hypocrisy either.

Last edited:
How has that gone over my head? If you're trying to take the moral high ground over Rhydal then you're a hypocrite seeing as a few posts later you cracked a joke that was just as tasteless in that thread. Haven't seen anything in this thread to suggest that Rhydal has tried to shoot down any of the jokers, so you're not pointing out his hypocrisy either.

I made the first joke in that thread. I was the twat.

So you don't think that suicide can ever be a selfish act, the easy way out, then? Whatever the reasons behind it, suicide is never selfish, is that correct?

There are occasions when a person commits suicide to lay guilt on people who they feel have wronged them. I'm not saying that's what happened here, I wouldn't know, and I doubt anyone in their right mind would do such a thing.

I would imagine that if the rumours are true that the media were about to unveil stuff that would destroy him, that he has taken his own life in a vein to attempt to protect his family from the contents, in the hope that the newspaper in question would have enough remorse and sympathy to leave well alone. Either that or he felt so desperate that he would not be able to see his loved ones destroyed by whatever the media had on him. Absolutely tragic circumstances, still numb with the whole situation

Shocked. Extremely sad if it was due to reasons already speculated.

I think it was actually Rhydal. Yours came after I think....crossed wires

I think being outed as a gay manager would have its difficulties from fans here. Look at the stupid moronic chants that Sven and Dave Jones get. I think it would be even worse as an international manager where you'd have to travel to countries that are generally more homophobic and have well supported right wing political parties. If it were true, and this is still a big if because it's all rumours and conjecture at the minute, I think he would have felt that his dream job as an international manager of his country was ruined.

I think he would have felt that his dream job as an international manager of his country was ruined.

I imagine this would have ranked as one of the least important aspects of being outed. Some things are far more important than jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669