War (what is it good for?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before getting to the point I regret that we have not heard from Jeremy Corbyn If Corbyn had become Prime Minister in 2019 he intended taking Britain out of NATO and becoming an intermediary between NATO and Putin. How much influence Mr Corbyn would have had in the present crisis I leave others to judge.

War is a terrible thing. However, it is good for defeating Hitler, the Kaiser and Napoleon (1) People often say that "nobody wins a war". If they say that to you it shows their ignorance, There are many cases of winning wars. Give them three: Rome won the Punic Wars against Carthage, Britain won the Seven Years War against France and America won the War Of Independence against Britain.

Putin is not another Stalin let alone another Hitler. He should be compared to Tsar Nicholas I. In 1853 Nicholas I targeted Turkey and the result was the Crimean War. He is very isolated and appears to think in the short term One of the many lessons of Iraq is that it is easier to win the war than to win the peace. If he does topple the Ukrainian government how does a new government run the country that big. It took Julius Caesar many years to subjugate Gaul (France) and Putin is certainly no Caesar.
Historians often point out that Napoleon created Britishness as opposed to Englishness or Scottishness. I believe Putin is creating an identity for the countries of Eastern Europe, America in the last twenty years has neglected Europe in "a pivot to Asia" This will now end which is not what Putin wanted,

(1) Most historians believe that if we had not gone to war alongside France in !914 we would have faced the Kaiser alone in 1916. However, there are a number of excellent historians who disagree.

turned her over, started first time ;)

Good, nauseating pile of shit responsible for people saying ‘simples’

Did you know that it’s Michael the Geordie from I’m Alan Partridge who does the Meerkat’s voice? Blew my mind that did.
I did not know that. God facting ted.

Good, nauseating pile of shit responsible for people saying ‘simples’

Did you know that it’s Michael the Geordie from I’m Alan Partridge who does the Meerkat’s voice? Blew my mind that did.
He also does Captain Barnacles in Octonauts and many others. He was on an episode of Pointless Celebrities recently and did all his voices, worth the license fee on it's own that was

If you’re in the Melton or Loughborough area and you’ve got any old blankets, pillows, jumpers, coats, anything warm really, let me know and I’ll come and pick it up if you’re happy for it to go to help Ukrainian refugees.

I was only half listening but my wife was telling me about a local haulage company who are going to try and get supplies to an aid station. They’re making a stop at the school she teaches at on Thursday to collect stuff from there, so if you’re got anything let me know and I’ll try and pick it up tomorrow.

*I live in Melton and work in Loughborough

If you’re in the Melton or Loughborough area and you’ve got any old blankets, pillows, jumpers, coats, anything warm really, let me know and I’ll come and pick it up if you’re happy for it to go to help Ukrainian refugees.

I was only half listening but my wife was telling me about a local haulage company who are going to try and get supplies to an aid station. They’re making a stop at the school she teaches at on Thursday to collect stuff from there, so if you’re got anything let me know and I’ll try and pick it up tomorrow.

I’ll give you a shout Ted

Wish I'd read this yesterday.

Nice one

Surprised this thread isn't more active. Is there any fear over there about escalation? For me, the fear is the use of tactical nukes. That would surely be the beginning of the end, or maybe the end of the beginning, not sure, but it's a quiet for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363