Wayne White

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

There was an interesting exchange between Dagnall and Tom New last night about Wayne White. Daggers clearly thinks a lot of him - "he can bowl 85mph, bat in the top 6 and one of the best fielders we have" - just that he needs to believe he can be as good as his talent suggests.

Tom New agreed, but then you'd expect him to do that about his team-mate. Even said that if he put it all together he could play for England, agreed with Dagnall about the mental side and that Whitticase and Hoggy were saying the same to him.

It has to be said that White is turning into a very useful allrounder, he is consistently scoring first-class runs, and I for one would be happy to eat my words from the start of last season if he continues in this vein.

Totally agree re White.

Has everything needed to be a good county player apart from consistency. His bowling can be devastating or park level all within a few overs.

He has always had that there is something good there and he is not showing it,maybe now as he has got older he is starting to realize his potential

I think Wayne White is as likely as Tom New to play for England.

To be fair his fielding brings an athleticism and energy to the side that is in short supply and there is obviously a premium on being an all rounder in all three formats. But before anyone gets carried away - and Charlie Dagnell finds that quite easy to do - just have a look at both his bowling and batting averages. I guess he's about as quick a bowler as anyone on the books - and he can certainly give the ball a smack - but he has some way to go to make the grade at county level.

I suspect he has been told that this season is critical if he wants to remain on the staff - and there are some signs of improvement - but I'm not sure that it will work out for him.

I think Wayne White is as likely as Tom New to play for England.

To be fair his fielding brings an athleticism and energy to the side that is in short supply and there is obviously a premium on being an all rounder in all three formats. But before anyone gets carried away - and Charlie Dagnell finds that quite easy to do - just have a look at both his bowling and batting averages. I guess he's about as quick a bowler as anyone on the books - and he can certainly give the ball a smack - but he has some way to go to make the grade at county level.

I suspect he has been told that this season is critical if he wants to remain on the staff - and there are some signs of improvement - but I'm not sure that it will work out for him.

Agreed.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when New and Dagnall were discussing him as a potential England player!

I seem to remember some senior county players predicting England futures for Matt Boyce and Matt 'Wide' Whiley in the past. Might as well have gone the whole hog and predicted similar for Jamie Grove, Carlos Remy, Scott Boswell, Carl Crowe, Ian Stanger and David Hepworth.

I think his career averages are probably a bit skewed by his early career and the relatively small number of matches.

His batting has definitely improved in the last two seasons:
http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/80/80030/f_Batting_by_Season.html

Let's hope his bowling returns continue this season's record, rather than reverting to previous years
http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/80/80030/f_Bowling_by_Season.html

To me - and I think to most of the regulars at Grace Road from what they say - White has always looked and a good fielder a better batter than a bowler. Frankly, as a bowler he has often been a liability and just the right pace and waywardness to be what the doctor ordered from an opposition viewpoint. Any improvement in his bowling is to be welcomed.

The point I was making along with leicsfoxes1 is about the silly talk by Dagnell and New that speculated as White as a potential England player.I appreciate that local radio sports commentators tend to get a bit carried away when pitching to a local audience - but this was something way beyond.

The point I was making along with leicsfoxes1 is about the silly talk by Dagnell and New that speculated as White as a potential England player.I appreciate that local radio sports commentators tend to get a bit carried away when pitching to a local audience - but this was something way beyond.

Just think how much worse it would be if Stringer was interested in cricket.

His batting and fielding alone sadly aren't going to justify his selection for very long. His bowling consistency and discipline needs to improve. There is a rawness about his bowling which gives you something to work with and he does sometimes get life from a lifeless pitch where others fail. I can't see that he has much of a role with the ball currently aside from an occasional partnership breaker. Frustrating.

To someone who hasn't seen much of him (me) - what's Andrew McDonald's bowling like? I watch a lot of cricket but he's managed to elude me in all forms of televised or live cricket!

I know this is a Wayne White thread.. but what is everyone's take on Malik? I like Malik, Buck and Hoggard as a frontline 3 in the seam department.

Is Wyatt still on the books?

His batting and fielding alone sadly aren't going to justify his selection for very long. His bowling consistency and discipline needs to improve. There is a rawness about his bowling which gives you something to work with and he does sometimes get life from a lifeless pitch where others fail. I can't see that he has much of a role with the ball currently aside from an occasional partnership breaker. Frustrating.

To someone who hasn't seen much of him (me) - what's Andrew McDonald's bowling like? I watch a lot of cricket but he's managed to elude me in all forms of televised or live cricket!

I know this is a Wayne White thread.. but what is everyone's take on Malik? I like Malik, Buck and Hoggard as a frontline 3 in the seam department.

Is Wyatt still on the books?

Wyatt has made several appearances this season.

Andrew McDonald is a proper cricketer - stronger at batting than bowler.

Malik is a decent bowler - takes his share of wickets - very poor injury record & I guess he thinks he has to play through injuries more these days in order to prolong his career. Not an asset in the field.

Just think how much worse it would be if Stringer was interested in cricket.

I think there must be some sort of training programme for Radio Leicester sports broadcasters which includes at least one module on how to be OTT and patronise your listeners with absurd claims about our local sports 'heroes'.

I think there must be some sort of training programme for Radio Leicester sports broadcasters which includes at least one module on how to be OTT and patronise your listeners with absurd claims about our local sports 'heroes'.

True, but I like Dagnall as a commentator despite exaggerating the potential of some players.

Anyway Wayne was the real hero tonight :icon_wink

True, but I like Dagnall as a commentator despite exaggerating the potential of some players.

Anyway Wayne was the real hero tonight :icon_wink

Dagnall has a good knowledge of first class and local club cricket which helps.

Yes - it was good to see Razzaq understanding that he was there only to play a supporting to our future England all rounder and true heir to Ian Botham!

Dagnall has a good knowledge of first class and local club cricket which helps.

Yes - it was good to see Razzaq understanding that he was there only to play a supporting to our future England all rounder and true heir to Ian Botham!

Love it :)

Was a good batting cameo from White but is his bowling really worth persisting with? In three T20 matches so far this season he is wicketless with an economy rate of 9 per over. I bet the England selectors are salivating!

Love it :)

Was a good batting cameo from White but is his bowling really worth persisting with? In three T20 matches so far this season he is wicketless with an economy rate of 9 per over. I bet the England selectors are salivating!

As I've previously posted - White can bat a bit but he is a liability with the ball. He's useful as a middle/late order batter - say Number 8, but even as a counter balance within an otherwise generally sluggish fielding side, he's going to find it tough to maintain a career in the game. I think he was a decent footballer too but as a cricketer its hard when you are a 'bits and pieces' player to establish a place.

I think the term 'all rounder' is used far too generously in cricket.

My definition of all rounder would be a cricketer who could be picked in a team for either his batting or bowling alone. (Being a good fielder is a bonus!)

Jigar Naik is a bowler who can bat but would never be picked on his batting alone - the same goes for Josh Cobb - a batter who can chuck down a few useful overs then and again.

White has never impressed me as a bowler and as Redditch said, is a decent number 8. He is a poor mans Jon Dakin.

Jimmy Allenby - particularly in limited overs cricket - was really the last domestic all rounder we possessed.

Quite - White has been called our all rounder because we didn't possess a real domestic all rounder. Since it's almost essential to have that sort of role to give the side any balance there has been a strong motivation to pick him

Jigar Naik has really improved his bowling in the last couple of years. Seeing him when he made the odd appearance a few years ago and also seeing him appear in club cricket then, I actually thought he might make a better batter than a spinner. He's improved on all fronts (except possibly fielding - where he looks a bit too podgy to me) and I guess that coaching support from Henderson has been good for his bowling development.

I think the term 'all rounder' is used far too generously in cricket.

My definition of all rounder would be a cricketer who could be picked in a team for either his batting or bowling alone. (Being a good fielder is a bonus!)

Jigar Naik is a bowler who can bat but would never be picked on his batting alone - the same goes for Josh Cobb - a batter who can chuck down a few useful overs then and again.

White has never impressed me as a bowler and as Redditch said, is a decent number 8. He is a poor mans Jon Dakin.

Jimmy Allenby - particularly in limited overs cricket - was really the last domestic all rounder we possessed.

Jimmy Allenby was a really good player. I was disappointed when he left.

Ridiculous to suggest he will play for England, although his batting and fielding have much improved.

His bowling is a bit too wayward, he can take wickets but bowls too many four balls. According to cricinfo his strike rate is 61, which is good, economy is 4.1 which is shocking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669