Speculation Wellens to Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

Can't see it anywhere else, wonder if Snodgrass might come our way?

Sky Sports understands Leeds are eyeing a move for Leicester ace Richie Wellens as they look to bolster their squad.

Leeds boss Simon Grayson is seeking a replacement for Norwich-bound Jonny Howson and Wellens is thought to be on his wanted list.

Grayson is hoping to have money to spend from the sale of Howson and he is considering using some of the funds to make a move for Wellens.

Grayson is a big admirer of Wellens having worked with the midfield playmaker during his time in charge of Blackpool and believes he would be a valuable addition to his side.

Leicester would be reluctant to lose Wellens, but they could be persuaded to cash-in on the 31-year-old after bringing in Danny Drinkwater from Manchester United last week to bolster their midfield options

Source

I know it's not the most popular thing to say on here, but I for one would miss him if he went.

If we sell Wellens, we'll suddenly be needing central midfielders again having had loads earlier in the season.

With King out (any confirmation on how long for yet?), Abe gone, Fernandes gone and presumably Johnson gone/going, we need the ones we've got.

I've never been a big fan of Wellens, but so many pundits are. I've heard Robbie Savage say a number of times that he thinks Wellens is the best centre mid in the league..

I wouldn't mind this if it involved some kind of part exchange for Snodgrass. I wouldn't mind Clayton from Leeds either, very good little player. I think a centre midfield combo of Drinkwater, Danns and King would be quite an interesting prospect. For the time being though, we need cover because, as others have intimated, King is injured for the time being and without him, we're starting to look a bit thin in the middle. I suppose there's Moussa, but he can't seem to get a look in under Pearson.

I would assume, if he's going to move Wellens on, then we'll be getting a replacement, either on loan or permanently. Pearson's hardly going to leave himself short.

Unless there's someone lined up we should keep him.

I'm not a big admirer of him but we look short of numbers in that department (after having too many a few weeks ago).

Just out of interest, whereabouts does Snodgrass play most regularly? I've had it in my head that he was pretty much an out-and-out winger, but my mate reckons he plays in attacking/centre midfield quite a lot for Leeds. Is he, as I suspect, talking shite?

Probably about the last opportunity to get some money for Wellens (32 in a couple of months)

Let him go.

Don't think we are going to be in serious danger of relegation this season - and surely Wellens has no long term future at the club within a re-buidling process.

I'd be more than happy to see him go, provided there was a reasonable replacement waiting in the wings. Wellens has been poor for two seasons now (despite somehow getting player of the season last year) and at his age we'd do well to shift him. We can do, and need, better.

If it fueled the Snodgrass deal I'd be all for it.

Wellens has been a decent player for the club...but as stated, you have to believe his best days are behind him and I doubt we are going anywhere this season.

If it fueled the Snodgrass deal I'd be all for it.

Wellens has been a decent player for the club...but as stated, you have to believe his best days are behind him and I doubt we are going anywhere this season.

Unfortunately it has been made clear that Snodgrass wants to join a Premier League Club so I don't think that he comes into the equation.

Maybe Leeds have someone else that Pearson wants who would welcome a move to us. In any event time to unload Wellens if there is money on offer.

I think wellens is past his best, and this season has been really disappointing, if we can do a cheeky deal involving him and snodflaps that'll be lovely!

wellens is very much one of Pearson's players; can't see him wanting rid.

he is one of the few players left from the 2010 play-off team, and Pearson wants to rekindle the spirit that team had. I'd be astounded if Pearson was happy to let Wellens go.

wellens is very much one of Pearson's players; can't see him wanting rid.

he is one of the few players left from the 2010 play-off team, and Pearson wants to rekindle the spirit that team had. I'd be astounded if Pearson was happy to let Wellens go.

That may be partly true - that is the bit about being one of Pearson's players. But every play becomes time expired and if and it is a big if, Leeds are really prepared tp pay anything worthwhile, then given the stage of Wellen's career I'd expect him to offer Wellens the opportunity because its not likely to arise again.

If it involves Snodgrass coming here I'd be more than happy for him to go, if not then I'd be indifferent. Decent player in his time but his time has now gone. Think we should be looking to the future and any opportunity to cash in on some of the older members of the squad should not be turned down lightly.

If Ritchie is past his best what does that make Paul Scholes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566