Speculation Wellens to Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure whether I'm playing devil's advocate or not here as I do believe this but not sure with how much conviction, but I'm not sure he's actually been playing any worse this season than he has played in the previous 2 seasons, just that the perception of how he's playing and what he offers to the team has changed, because of the differing form of the team of a whole, because he's often seem as the player who is supposed to be running the game from the middle.

I'd go as far as saying the performance against Derby without him in the side can be pinpointed as the exact game where fan perception of him changed. Before that a much used quote to defend his poor games was "when Wellens plays poorly, Leicester play poorly" as if he was the heartbeat of the side, now people seem to slag him off whenever he plays poorly but never seem to praise him when he plays well (as he has been doing in the past 3 or 4 games).

Think he's gone from being a little overrated in the past two seasons, to being underrated in this one. He's always been a bit inconsistent here I reckon but a player who can run the show on his day. Been a decent player for us over the 2 1/2 years he's been here though and I still think there's another couple of years in him as a Championship player. So I think it's well worth keeping him if we have the option.

Last edited:
If Ritchie is past his best what does that make Paul Scholes?
One of the things Scholes will have over Ritchie (if they are worth comparing purely because they are similar mould of a player plus came through the same set up) is his footballing brain is much quicker. Scholes picks his pass instantly whilst Wellens takes time hence why he never made it. That and the fact Scholes is far more gifted technically etc Aside from that we would be mad to get rid now.

I'm fairly sure that Scholes will be a better player when he is 60 than Wellens was at his best

Well worthy of his place in the squad and on his day, we have no better midfielder. Saddly he's not had his day so much this season as he has in others but I'd say it would be rather hasty in getting rid of him, especially given King's injury and the recent departure of Abe.

One average half season doesn't instantly turn him into a bad player, every player has their ups and downs and I'm sure most teams in this league would be more than happy to take him off our hands so I would be quite shocked and disappointed if this turned out to be true.

Last edited:
Good to see Richie playing well last night. IMO this was not unconnected with both Drinksy and Dannzy relieving him of a lot of the water-carrying stuff and all giving him so many more options through running off the ball than has been apparent these last few months.

When Wellens plays well City play well, when City play well, Wellens plays well. Chicken/egg etc ...

Last edited:
Come in for a lot of flak recently, I've not really had leisure to see his performances myself. It'd be madness to sell a center midfielder right now.

Wellens is still our most creative central midfielder (which say a lot about the squad) so I cannot see him going anywhere unless we sign someone else to replace him beforehand.

Wellens is still our most creative central midfielder (which say a lot about the squad) so I cannot see him going anywhere unless we sign someone else to replace him beforehand.

Really? I don't call hanging onto the ball far too long, mainly passing square or back or hoofing it 60 yards creative, in the brief appearance of DD on Monday I saw far more creative passes being made.

Really? I don't call hanging onto the ball far too long, mainly passing square or back or hoofing it 60 yards creative, in the brief appearance of DD on Monday I saw far more creative passes being made.
When compared to our other players, yes. I'm not saying he should be, just that he is. He may slow the game down but he is usually the only one putting the ball in to the box when others almost daren't.

I am not going to comment on Drinkwater when all we've really seen is 50 minutes of him out of position. King is very much a sideways passer, his creativity is from good runs. Danns is just a grafter. (now realising that we've wittled down to just these central midfielders).

When compared to our other players, yes. I'm not saying he should be, just that he is. He may slow the game down but he is usually the only one putting the ball in to the box when others almost daren't.

I am not going to comment on Drinkwater when all we've really seen is 50 minutes of him out of position. King is very much a sideways passer, his creativity is from good runs. Danns is just a grafter. (now realising that we've wittled down to just these central midfielders).

He may slow the game down - Invariably, or our high paced performance against Derby, for instance, without him, could have been coincidence.

the only one putting the ball in to the box - Usually when there is no-one there.

Danns is just a grafter - That is like saying Nugent is just a grafter. Danns has settled in excellently to the Abe role of protecting the back 5 and launching attacks.

He may slow the game down - Invariably, or our high paced performance against Derby, for instance, without him, could have been coincidence.

the only one putting the ball in to the box - Usually when there is no-one there.

Danns is just a grafter - That is like saying Nugent is just a grafter. Danns has settled in excellently to the Abe role of protecting the back 5 and launching attacks.
1. I agree on the tempo. I'm not saying I'm happy with it.
2. Not the case.
3. Not at all. He wins the ball well enough and has great perserverance. I don't remember seeing Danns in full control of the ball once on Monday. Comparisons with Abe and Nugent are some way off.
Ray Wilkins built his whole career on doing just that.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that you need someone who looks forwards alongside him. Maybe Drinkwater is the man.

Most assumptions on this thread are that we are trying to offload - could it be another Abe situation (only more localised), where he is tiring of travel from/to home & wants a club closer to home and Leeds fit the bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566