Wettest drought ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siouxsie

Ok we've got the message - can it stop raining now ?- PLEASE. It's getting boring.

As soon as it starts raining, isn't that the end of the drought?

Even though the rain has stared, we're still living in drought conditions. The total rainfall over the last couple of years is still, despite the current deluge, well average and well below what is needed. It's hard though to believe that in the south-east we are likely to have to continue with the hose-pipe ban for the rest of the year.

Even though the rain has stared, we're still living in drought conditions. The total rainfall over the last couple of years is still, despite the current deluge, well average and well below what is needed. It's hard though to believe that in the south-east we are likely to have to continue with the hose-pipe ban for the rest of the year.

Plenty of water up here. Want to buy some?

Yet another example of how Pearson has lost control of the meteorological system. Exactly how many more days of rain are we going to have to suffer until he is sacked?! It's stupid gone mad.

I don't disagree about the drought conditions, but the definition of drought used to be on the lines of three weeks without rain.

I have heard that said (although I think the period mentioned was a good deal longer than 3 weeks). I don't think it's right though. The derivation of the word is from an Old English word which meant dry and I would quote the definition as being something like 'a prolonged period of dry weather that adversely affects plant growth'.

Ha! According to this a drought can be declared in as little as 15 days in the UK. I don't this is relevant now though in view of the long, long period in which we have experienced very low rainfall. In this area at least, the ground just seems to be sucking the water up. Even after the prolonged rains of the last couple of weeks ground which would have been standing in water a couple of years ago is completely dry a few hours after the rain has ceased.

raining so hard here, i can't see my hosepipe

Looking at tomorrow's forecast, sunshine all day topping out at 17C in Leicestershire.

Rest of week cloud and rain :(

No one?

Officially end of 10 year drought here in the South, means govt doesn't have to pay such large subsidies to farmers now.

Back to back La Niña episodes put an end to it. Since moving here seems it hasn't stopped fecking raining, the media has labbled it "Pommy Weather"

Still one hot period or strong El Niño could easily reverse that. Guess they would then have to stop letting in those boat people "immigrants" stealing all our water.

Officially end of 10 year drought here in the South, means govt doesn't have to pay such large subsidies to farmers now.

Back to back La Niña episodes put an end to it. Since moving here seems it hasn't stopped fecking raining, the media has labbled it "Pommy Weather"

Still one hot period or strong El Niño could easily reverse that. Guess they would then have to stop letting in those boat people "immigrants" stealing all our water.

you're just showing off because you've figured out how to do the wiggly n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670