What Are You Listening To Now?

Camel - Camel LP.

I only wanted to watch them on TOTP in the 80's to see what she was wearing.
And I don't think I have ever come across such a selfish cock as David whatever his name is.

David Van Day. And if it's any consolation he ended up running a burger van in Brighton for a while!

David Van Day. And if it's any consolation he ended up running a burger van in Brighton for a while!

Oh you mean "Burger Van Day"

Found an article on the wanker.

And burgers too? David is happy to be reminded of his burger stall, which not only gave him a "very nice little earner," as he puts it, but also put him back in the limelight nationally. "I was touring with Bucks Fizz but I didn't see a future in it and I was getting tired of all the travelling," he says. "It was paying a living and keeping my family of four but I do like my luxuries. I thought about doing public relations or something else but the quickest way to get cash coming in was a burger stall. I bought this rather shabby unit from a fairground worker and set up near the clock tower. The site was filled with drug addicts and I gave them little jobs and the odd burger. Brighton people seemed to be behind me, but as Churchill Square developed the council wanted me out. In truth the unit was an eyesore. I later got a modern grazing cart in Churchill Square and went upmarket, selling waffles. But I was still touring with Bucks Fizz and couldn't really give it enough time, so I sold it."

Give the man a medal.

"I want to help bring Brighton into the 21st century," he says

"Things seem to stand still. Why does it take so long to get some action? Rather than councillors and bureaucrats deciding for us, they should be asking us 'Do you want this?' Right you do, let's do it." In the last year David has got heavily involved in both charity work and business in the area. In the 1990s he chaired the sussex branch of the children's charity section of the Variety Club, and he is now giving his time to raising big money for a new local children's charity, Whoopsadaisy. This will provide respite care for physically disabled children in the redeveloped stable block at Stanmer House. The house is being totally refurbished by Cherrywood Investments, and the respite centre is the personal project of Cherrywood chairman Mike Holland and his wife Nina, their son Christopher has cerebral palsy. Meanwhile he is working as a marketing consultant for Adelphi Hotels, which is refurbishing the Abbey Hotel in Norfolk Terrace and introducing the David Van Day Room. This was David's idea, a place in the hotel where guests can get fast food 24 hours a day. "You put money in and choose a pizza or lasagna or shepherd's pie or whatever, and put it in the microwave," he says.

Perhaps he should rename himself "That'll B"

........ David says his Dollar and Bucks Fizz days are now over, :038: unless similar events come up. "There is no future in it," he says. "I'm not going to bring Thereza over from Australia, where she's very happily married to a barrister and has two children, to go round holiday camps. Cabaret is dead. There are very few clubs left to tour, and then you just have arenas. Some towns are easier than others. The Brighton Centre is hard to fill because it's so close to London. Blackpool has three piers with three live shows. Brighton has one pier, with a karaoke bar."

Classic TV here.

I'll Never Stop Loving Yooooooooooooo:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mo - Nearly one o'clock in the morning on a Friday night and you're searching for David Van Day on the interwebs? What the friggety feck is going on?

Mo - Nearly one o'clock in the morning on a Friday night and you're searching for David Van Day on the interwebs? What the friggety feck is going on?

I was just reminding myself what an absolute tosser the guy is and everything I found reinforced that view. There was more I could have put up. I didn't realise just how much of a "how great am I" type that he is.

He's even "accidently on purpose" in the background of one of his Mrs' video's about her beauty products. He's one of the biggest "it's me me me 's " that I've ever come across.
If any City fan sees him today whilst in Brighton, you never know he might be selling dodgy burgers, then give him a good kicking from me.

Last edited:
I was just reminding myself what an absolute tosser the guy is and everything I found reinforced that view. There was more I could have put up. I didn't realise just how much of a "how great am I" type that he is.

He's even "accidently on purpose" in the background of one of his Mrs' video's about her beauty products. He's one of the biggest "it's me me me 's " that I've ever come across.
If any City fan sees him today whilst in Brighton, you never know he might be selling dodgy burgers, then give him a good kicking from me.

Methinks you doth protesteth too much :icon_wink

I would like to know what he did when he was with Bucks Fizz for Cheryl to hate him so. It must have been something very wrong. Can you let me know, Mowts?

I would like to know what he did when he was with Bucks Fizz for Cheryl to hate him so. It must have been something very wrong. Can you let me know, Mowts?

Well you asked.
Long story!

1981/82, Bucks Fizz (feat. Baker) were a chart-eating pop act to be reckoned with. Dollar (feat. Van Day) had a few hits around this time. The pop press staged a kind of forerunner to the Blur-Oasis war between the two. Van Day slagged off Buck Fizz at every opportunity before going solo and, ironically, recording with Bucks Fizz's producer. Not, in itself, the basis of the hatred but it might contain the germ of some low-grade animosity.

By the 90s, Bucks Fizz was still going but there had been line-up changes. Cheryl Baker, her best mate Mike Nolan, Jay Aston and Shelley Preston (Aston's replacement since 1985) had left by the time Van Day joined the line up, headed by founder member Bobby G. By all accounts, it was a hellish relationship that Bobby G terminated toute de suite. Van Day capitalised on the fact that Bobby G and Mike Nolan had fallen out. He called Nolan immediately, saying that he too had fought with G and suggested that they set up their own Bucks Fizz. Nolan, having had a hard time with the strident, bossy Bobby G was not surprised by Van Day's claims to have been hurt by the process and, missing performing, agreed to work in this new Bucks Fizz. Legal battles over the name aside, Nolan describes working with Van Day as the worst period by far in his professional career. While the working relationship was bad enough, Van Day also "relieved" Nolan of a signifcant amount of money by dishonest means (source: the surprisingly fascinating "Story of Bucks Fizz" documentary, available on DVD). Court cases ensued, and the judges found in Nolan's favour. Van Day promptly declared bankruptcy without ever repaying a penny of the many thousands of pounds he had swiped.

Cheryl Baker is very much a plain speaking tell-it-like-it-is person. However, anyone who had seen the reality TV show "Reborn in the USA" might also remember a pretty fierce spat between Van Day and former popstar Sonia. She described him on air and to his face as a nasty piece of work. It seems a reasonable enough description of the man who, more recently, dumped his girlfriend on live TV. It's not hard to imagine David Van Day being a hate figure, generally.
Source(s):
http://www.bucksfizzearlyyears.co.uk, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Van_Day, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucks_Fizz_(band)

Thanks MoFo, no more sleepless nights for me now. I've long wondered about all of this, but was afraid to look it up for fear that it would be forever more documented by Google in my search history.
I can relax now. Thanks for taking one for the team.

Come on BM, it's ok to admit its troubled you too. I know I feel a sense of understanding of the world now, that I didn't have before.
I didn't even know what a David Van Day was until I read this, but now I feel I know as much about it as I do about how Motown's radio works in various localities in South Yorkshire.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663