What have you achieved today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not any more. Not really. The British media has used the American billion for several years now.

Nothing to do with the media, to be fair. The government, the treasury, the banks, the City etc have all been using 1000 x 1000 000 as a billion for many years

Nothing to do with the media, to be fair. The government, the treasury, the banks, the City etc have all been using 1000 x 1000 000 as a billion for many years

The old british billion has been dead for years.

It's the one I learnt though at school and until today have always assumed correct. Just goes to show how little I use the number other than in exagerations.

i always thought it was a million million
and the yanks used a thousand million

I got up.

That's my achievement for today so far.
I swore at FB a lot as well as Farmville isn't loading so all my crops I planted overnight will be deaded by the time I get back from work....pfffffffffffffffffttttt!!

I'll never catch up with Boc at this rate.

Last edited:
I got up.

That's my achievement for today so far.
I swore at FB a lot as well as Farmville isn't loading so all my crops I planted overnight will be deaded by the time I get back from work....pfffffffffffffffffttttt!!

I'll never catch up with Boc at this rate.

It came back about an hour or so ago.

All is safely gathered in.
:icon_bigg

From AskOxford

How many is a billion?

If you are American, it is undoubtedly 1,000,000,000. This amount is known to traditionally minded British people as `a thousand million', and by some more adventurous ones as a 'milliard', though this word has not made as much headway in English as in some other European languages. A trillion is then 1,000,000,000,000, and so on.

If you are British, on the other hand, a billion may be 1,000,000,000,000 (a million million), following the older convention.

If you are neither British nor American, you can take your pick! (Both systems were invented by the French, but are called 'British' and 'American' for convenience.)

Once the business world and the financial press found themselves discussing `thousand millions' so much, the 'American' system simply became more convenient, despite a certain lack of logical tidiness. (A 'British' trillion is the third power of a million, while the 'American' one is the fourth power of a thousand, and the 'American' system continues out of sync with the arithmetic). It also makes the profits sound bigger! The 'American' system is now standard use in British government publications, and is becoming the norm in many other languages.

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/billion?view=uk

successfully signed on and off for job seekers allowance in one easy swoop...all nicely backdated to the beginning of the month too :icon_lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69