Where the season went wrong.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
They shipped loads of goals and ended up having to settle for mid table mediocrity. Oh no wait, that was us with Mills in the side.

Thank god we dropped him our results picked up as soon as we did...

Mills in team : P-25 W-10 D-8 L-7 (1.52pts per game)

Without Mills: P-19 W-7 D-4 L-8 (1.31pts per game)

1. The club had more money than sense... a manager in SGE who did not work the players hard enough or give them the rocket up the backside that some of them deserved. Many players brought in who thought they would have an easy ride; a culture and attitude seemed to have permeated all-round that promotion was guarenteed via minimum effort & application.
2. The clearest illustration is that the 2 most expensive performers were about the 2 worst; Whilst Beckford had a mini good spell recently, on the whole Beckford like Mills, has been lamentable.
3. A midfield that cannot attack well enough or defend well enough.
4. 2 attacking full backs; one is enough, particularly if you play with a winger (sometimes we played with two)
5. Not good enough wideplay, only resolved too late in the season via the acquisition of Marshall
6. A midfield that needs total overhaul; the new manager unfortunately had loyalties to them and in a reasonable gamble based on prior knowledge thought that they would do well enough... but then became stuck with them once it finally became apparent that they were not good enough. Expect even NP to ditch his old guard in pre season & go for a first choice that does NOT include Wellens, Gallagher and King.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge King fan and think he does have a tendancy to go missing in games, but he undoubtedly has potential to be a very good midfielder. I am not sure why we need to get rid of him...Wellens and Gally there is a case for, but King I think we need to keep.

Reading did really well without him as well.

It's almost like they had a settled team that had been brought together by a manager who was given the time to get them playing how he wanted. Interesting that when Sven was given the boot in October, Reading were 2pts behind us in the league...

Money spent V end of season position

The above would suggest something has gone wrong, I totally blame the lack of stability for any manager here, instigated by the fans delusions of grandeur and totally pathetic attitude to long term building.

Do the characteristics of fans vary that much from club to club? I very much doubt it.

Attitudes are based on expectations being met. It's the expectations that vary according to the resources, history of the club etc.

In the simplest terms Leicester don't meet expectations. True these expectations are sometimes realistic but this is significantly the fault of the club amongst others for raising these expectations for marketing reasons and in Leicester's case consistently failing to deliver.

I'm fed up with LCFC for the time being. Sven was hopeless and Pearson has only achieved marginal improvements i.e. the home form under Pearson isn't bad at all.

I live in hope that Pearson will construct a side that has got a bit of bottle as well as quality and hopefully over a couple of years we might do something. It would be better if there is a bit of honesty now about expectations by the club and that the local media who have greatly amplified expectations practice a bit of journalistic responsibility for a change.

I'm too hopeful about any of this - and fear a similar tale of woe next season.

Nigel knows best. :icon_wink

I'm not a huge King fan and think he does have a tendancy to go missing in games, but he undoubtedly has potential to be a very good midfielder. I am not sure why we need to get rid of him...Wellens and Gally there is a case for, but King I think we need to keep.

I agree. However, I am beginning to wonder if King has caught the 'Fryatt Syndrome'. As in as soon as he receives a nice, juicy contract his effort and application go down the toilet. Alternatively, he's could just be paying for playing too much, too young. Either way, he's a shadow of the player he was two years ago.

I agree. However, I am beginning to wonder if King has caught the 'Fryatt Syndrome'. As in as soon as he receives a nice, juicy contract his effort and application go down the toilet. Alternatively, he's could just be paying for playing too much, too young. Either way, he's a shadow of the player he was two years ago.

It seemed under Sven that he was playing a lot deeper and was much less effective than when he plays further forward. I don't know if this was due to the tactics or his ability/choice but it certainly set him back IMO. Couple that with returning to a changeable midfield due to injuries and suspension, I'd sooner give him a season of regular football under the manager that he previously excelled under before I make up my mind.

You're ignoring variables here. These stats don't show how many times we've won in spite of his efforts to throw the game away. They don't show how many points per game he's actively cost us with his inability to pass, tackle, head the ball, read the game, maintain his discipline, behave as a captain or engage his brain for even a nanosecond before doing something profoundly stupid. Matt Mills is an overrated, arrogant, heftily overpaid player with the footballing brain of a gerbil. The injection of cash his bank account receives every month far, far outweighs the genuine annual worth of his actual talent. There is no set of carefully selected statistics that can convince me he is anything other than a parasite to the club. He is a drain on its financial resources, an incredibly pricey mistake. The sooner he finds a permanent home elsewhere, the better for everyone involved, except maybe his new club.

You're ignoring variables here. These stats don't show how many times we've won in spite of his efforts to throw the game away. They don't show how many points per game he's actively cost us with his inability to pass, tackle, head the ball, read the game, maintain his discipline, behave as a captain or engage his brain for even a nanosecond before doing something profoundly stupid. Matt Mills is an overrated, arrogant, heftily overpaid player with the footballing brain of a gerbil. The injection of cash his bank account receives every month far, far outweighs the genuine annual worth of his actual talent. There is no set of carefully selected statistics that can convince me he is anything other than a parasite to the club. He is a drain on its financial resources, an incredibly pricey mistake. The sooner he finds a permanent home elsewhere, the better for everyone involved, except maybe his new club.

:038: Couldn't have said it better at all.

Not that Morgan or Bamba are the answer either, but Mills certainly isn't.

First 7-inch I bought was Funny Little Frog by Belle and Sebastian.

It affected me: turned me into a pretentious, snotty, twat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669