Where the season went wrong.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
:038: Couldn't have said it better at all.

Not that Morgan or Bamba are the answer either, but Mills certainly isn't.
I suspect Morgan isn't the answer. And if Bamba is the answer then someone's asked the wrong question. Cult figure that he is, and as entertaining as he can be, Sol Bamba is by no reasonable stretch of the imagination a central defender. He's fast, he's good with the ball at his feet, and he's strong, but he creates panic and confusion among his teammates with his bizarre approach to the game.

You're ignoring variables here. These stats don't show how many times we've won in spite of his efforts to throw the game away. They don't show how many points per game he's actively cost us with his inability to pass, tackle, head the ball, read the game, maintain his discipline, behave as a captain or engage his brain for even a nanosecond before doing something profoundly stupid. Matt Mills is an overrated, arrogant, heftily overpaid player with the footballing brain of a gerbil. The injection of cash his bank account receives every month far, far outweighs the genuine annual worth of his actual talent. There is no set of carefully selected statistics that can convince me he is anything other than a parasite to the club. He is a drain on its financial resources, an incredibly pricey mistake. The sooner he finds a permanent home elsewhere, the better for everyone involved, except maybe his new club.

I was merely pointing out that trying to make Mills a scapegoat for all our shocking defensive performances is naive. Yes he had some bad games, but then so has everybody else in the back line.

Why take that into account though when you can just moan about how much he earns...

I was merely pointing out that trying to make Mills a scapegoat for all our shocking defensive performances is naive. Yes he had some bad games, but then so has everybody else in the back line.

Why take that into account though when you can just moan about how much he earns...
I'm consistent, I don't mention how much he earns. I do mention how crap he's been every sodding time I've seen him. And any central defender who wears white boots had better be bloody good -he isn't.

Belle and Sebastian are wonderful. Rubbish song, though.

I seem to be one of the few B&S fans who loves their pre- and post-Isobel Campbell stuff equally. Seems like most B&S fans have to prefer one to the other, but I could just as happily take Dear Catastrophe Watiress and The Life Persuit as I could Tigermilk or If You're Feeling Sinister.

I still love Funny Little Frog, don't care what anyone says.

Last edited:
I seem to be one of the few B&S fans who loves their pre- and post-Isobel Campbell stuff equally. Seems like most B&S fans have to prefer one to the other, but I could just as happily take Dear Catastrophe Watiress and The Life Persuit as I could Tigermilk or If You're Feeling Sinister.

I still love Funny Little Frog, don't care what anyone says.

I enjoy the older and newer stuff equally. DCW is probably my favourite B&S album. I just don't like that song. :)

I enjoy the older and newer stuff equally. DCW is probably my favourite B&S album. I just don't like that song. :)

DCW is absolutely wonderful. Can never decide between that or Tigermilk as my absolute favourite, but I absolutely love all those 4 I mentioned.

Also love the Push Barman to Open Old Wounds compilation and The Boy with the Arab Strap, but not quite as much as those 4.

Do you like Camera Obscura as well, Lee?

DCW is absolutely wonderful. Can never decide between that or Tigermilk as my absolute favourite, but I absolutely love all those 4 I mentioned.

Also love the Push Barman to Open Old Wounds compilation and The Boy with the Arab Strap, but not quite as much as those 4.

Do you like Camera Obscura as well, Lee?

Richard Colburn was a member, wasn't he? Can't say I've heard anything by them though. Worth a listen?

Taken to your profile page as this has gone ridiculously off topic. :icon_bigg

I suspect Morgan isn't the answer. And if Bamba is the answer then someone's asked the wrong question. Cult figure that he is, and as entertaining as he can be, Sol Bamba is by no reasonable stretch of the imagination a central defender. He's fast, he's good with the ball at his feet, and he's strong, but he creates panic and confusion among his teammates with his bizarre approach to the game.

I agree. Burnley was a classic example. A poor bit of marking left a Burnley striker free, but then a remarkable long leg stopped a certain goal.
His actually defending is very average.

And from a points angle we can see now how badly it went wrong. A long way short of play off territory - a lot of improvement necessary for next season.
I sometimes think that given the reliance on loanees in season 2010/11 that it was always going to be difficult to bring in sufficient quality and even numbers to be well placed this season. Perhaps everyone was just carried along by the hype and we should have expected this kind of outcome.

And from a points angle we can see now how badly it went wrong. A long way short of play off territory - a lot of improvement necessary for next season.
I sometimes think that given the reliance on loanees in season 2010/11 that it was always going to be difficult to bring in sufficient quality and even numbers to be well placed this season. Perhaps everyone was just carried along by the hype and we should have expected this kind of outcome.

Thoughts that we were going to walk the league, undoubtedly were hype but, with the money available, a top six spot was rightly expected. I wish it were true that a team does not buy success, but slowly builds a capable squad. Tell that to Chelsea, Manchester City and numerous other teams!

Thoughts that we were going to walk the league, undoubtedly were hype but, with the money available, a top six spot was rightly expected. I wish it were true that a team does not buy success, but slowly builds a capable squad. Tell that to Chelsea, Manchester City and numerous other teams!

If you ever get bored enough and wish to get even more bored ,have a look at the predictions made on here about this season. Unfortunately I'm generally not far from right on these things and suggested we finished in the top ten or so.

Money if invested wisely should bring success. The point I'm making now is that we were spending from a low base of playing resources. Also the money wasn't invested wisely but let's not waste energy going down that line.

The naivety of fans has stopped amazing me - including on this Forum - we'll get the same buying into the hype again this summer.

I'll tell you what - it will take a massive improvement to make us out right promotion challengers and quite a lot of progress to get us into the play offs next season.

I'll tell you what - it will take a massive improvement to make us out right promotion challengers and quite a lot of progress to get us into the play offs next season.

We could just use our brains and go for the tried and tested method of sacking the manager and getting a new one in again, It has worked the last 8 times so why not again?

I'm surprised no other fans suggested it.

We are not miles away from the play-offs, though, are we? Nine points is the difference between us and Cardiff (who have played a game extra). Improvement is needed, particularly in certain areas, but this 'ditch all the players' line that some are taking, is over the top. I suspect that two or three shrewd signings would see us mount a serious challenge.

From the Observer

"Leicester ... are coming good at the right time. A sixth successive ... victory, and their second in a week against rivals for the title, took [them] to within a point of ... the leaders. As the play-offs loom, the momentum is with the [Tigers] and their blend of graft and craft."

The fecking egg chasers can hit the straps at the sharp end of the season - I wish another round of Top Trumps would guarantee that City could do the same, but I doubt it.

We could just use our brains and go for the tried and tested method of sacking the manager and getting a new one in again, It has worked the last 8 times so why not again?

I'm surprised no other fans suggested it.

I wouldn't rule this out. Not a good idea of course because i don't think anyone better than NP would be interested quite apart from the constant turmoil factor- but as we have kicked around on another thread the owners are slightly silent at the moment.

I wouldn't rule this out. Not a good idea of course because i don't think anyone better than NP would be interested quite apart from the constant turmoil factor- but as we have kicked around on another thread the owners are slightly silent at the moment.

They've been silent since Pearson came back, the same as Mandaric was under him. I wouldn't read more into it than it's Pearson's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669