Which players should go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graz

Even as a pretty optimistic fan most of the time, even I have to admit it's probably time to start planning for next season now....

There has been argument for months about whether Pearson should stay or go (so let's keep it out of this thread because it's boring and there are already loads of others for that), but which players would you want to ditch for next season?

For me, there actually aren't that many I'd want us to get rid of.... mainly just players on the fringes.

I'd get rid of:

Vardy
Wellens
Gallagher
Waghorn
Danns
Beckford
Whitbread
Konchesky

I think that's probably it though... Even Konchesky, I'd keep as back up if it wasn't for how much we're probably paying him.
Whether we'd find takers for those players is an another issue, but there the ones I'd be trying to ship out.

The main thing for me isn't about having a complete overhaul of the squad, but 1) finding better backup/competition for the players we have got, 2) adding experience to key areas. I think we could do with some added experience in defence, but definitely in midfield too. Wellens is past it now, but we need someone in that kind of mould.

For all the doom and gloom, with players like Schmeichel, King, James, Morgan, De Laet, Knockaert, Marshall, Wood, Nugent and Schlupp, I think we've got good players and players with great potential, but we just need more to the squad.

Last edited:
There are two problems with your enquiry; firstly, one cannot decide upon players before the manager's position is settled. A new man might use some of these players to better effect - and also some of NP's successful players less well. Secondly, whilst it is easy to list the players who have generally been disappointing, other teams are more likely to be interested in signing our better players and persuading them to take the detritus, may not be so simple.

i doubt we'll have the choice regarding kasper. he'll be playing premiership football next season.
konch wont go anywhere as he has no chance of getting paid half of what we are probably paying him elsewhere. we could get a better left back but if we are paying his wages, we dont really have an option but to play him.

we will remain the major contributor to beckford's salary wherever he is on loan and that probably applies to danns also. (surely we could have done with someone like him last night).

am i the only person who thinks that waghorn is a decent player with some confidence? nigel destroyed that when he decided to bring vardy in ahead of him after his appendectomy.

There are two problems with your enquiry; firstly, one cannot decide upon players before the manager's position is settled. A new man might use some of these players to better effect - and also some of NP's successful players less well. Secondly, whilst it is easy to list the players who have generally been disappointing, other teams are more likely to be interested in signing our better players and persuading them to take the detritus, may not be so simple.
Indeed, there is an order to things.
Threads should take the following course....

1. Pea san out
2. Pea san gone
3. The 5 million managers Homer would rather to Paul Ince
4. Managerial rumour bollocks
5. Reasons why the new manager is doomed to fail
6. Player rumour bollocks(where this thread should appear)
7. New manager out
8. Turf watch

Please observe established protocol.

Danns for instance has been playing regularly for Huddersfield and even scored. We know that there is an issue between him and Nigel, although neither will admit it, but if a new manager comes in Danns might be the sort of player that he wants. So I agree with Old Fox to some degree.

But next season I hope we can get the likes of Vardy and Waghorn on loan to a League 1/Championship team so hopefully get their confidence going again. Gallagher/Wellens possibly out on loan too, or permanent transfer if possible, as I think time is up for both of them.

But some players might decide they want to move on as well. Also if Nigel does go he will end up somewhere else and we all know that he likes to take some players with him so expect to see the likes of Dyer going once he has a new Club to go to.

Keane will be back at Man U and SSL will possibly get himself a move so Whitbread might be with Wes our only experienced defender left.

Oh and except for his parting shot, and it was a shot not a cross that lead to Kane's goal, Konch will hopefully go though either to Nigel's new team or link up with another ex team mate/manager, back to the Valley? (oh talking of Chris Powell - what a cracking job he has done they could even overtake us!!)

Last edited:
Indeed, there is an order to things.
Threads should take the following course....

1. Pea san out
2. Pea san gone
3. The 5 million managers Homer would rather to Paul Ince
4. Managerial rumour bollocks
5. Reasons why the new manager is doomed to fail
6. Player rumour bollocks(where this thread should appear)
7. New manager out
8. Turf watch

Please observe established protocol.

9. Why haven't we signed as many players as I thought we would and won't this effect promotion?
10. It's only ****ing INSERT MONTH HERE

Raaaaaar, all the feckers, raaaar

Poostone out, the useless tosser, raaaaarrr

Danns for instance has been playing regularly for Huddersfield and even scored. We know that there is an issue between him and Nigel, although neither will admit it, but if a new manager comes in Danns might be the sort of player that he wants. So I agree with Old Fox to some degree.

But next season I hope we can get the likes of Vardy and Waghorn on loan to a League 1/Championship team so hopefully get their confidence going again. Gallagher/Wellens possibly out on loan too, or permanent transfer if possible, as I think time is up for both of them.

But some players might decide they want to move on as well. Also if Nigel does go he will end up somewhere else and we all know that he likes to take some players with him so expect to see the likes of Dyer going once he has a new Club to go to.

Keane will be back at Man U and SSL will possibly get himself a move so Whitbread might be with Wes our only experienced defender left.

Oh and except for his parting shot, and it was a shot not a cross that lead to Kane's goal, Konch will hopefully go though either to Nigel's new team or link up with another ex team mate/manager, back to the Valley? (oh talking of Chris Powell - what a cracking job he has done they could even overtake us!!)

It wasn't a shot it was definitely a cross in my opinion,. Yes it got deflected onto Kane's head but it was a cross. I actually thought Konchesky was ok last night. Yes his distribution was poor but when you're being asked to pump it forward you're accuracy is going to plummet.

In terms of players going out, I think that any new manager could potentially reintegrate the likes of Danns, St Ledger and Beckford into the squad. As many have said, they don't look as though they'll be going anywhere other than out on loan and so it makes sense to try to utilise them as best we can. Danns has played regularly this season and was a player I feel we've missed in certain games. Beckford has had a campaign plighted by injuries but he's still scored goals. I certainly feel he offers more than Waghorn, Vardy and Kane. If the new manager (and I can't see there not being one) can utilise these players, then I have no problem with them playing in a Leicester shirt next season.

I think Vardy, Waghorn, Gallager, Wellens should be the ones we should really be trying to move on. Vardy has demonstrated that he is way out of his depth at this level and at his age, I doubt he will develop into a player who can perform in the Championship. I'd cut our losses and sell him for £250k if we could get it but I think that would even be a stretch. Wellens is now past it after his injury and so won't feature for us and I think a lower half team in the Championship and possibly a return to Doncaster could benefit both parties.

As most have said, I feel we've got a strong spine to our team. I only really see us needing 4 or 5 additional signings to strengthen certain areas and we can certainly be in the promotion mix, provided we get the managerial situation right.

How's about getting in a manager who can work with what we've got, and actually coach them into being a very good team

Rather than kick a dozen out the door, and bring another dozen in - thus repeating the never ending cycle of failure ?

Just a thought, but won't happen, ever

How's about getting in a manager who can work with what we've got, and actually coach them into being a very good team

Rather than kick a dozen out the door, and bring another dozen in - thus repeating the never ending cycle of failure ?

Ah, but it is alright this time because Nigel tells us that we are now packed with players that lots of other teams will want. We'll be in profit from selling these wonder boys - even if a new boss spends a few million pounds!

I'd be disappointed to see Kasper or Morgan leave, beyond that I'm not at all bothered.

Agreed, or perhaps a coaching team where we bring in a player who has shown excellent pedigree and they don't turn to shit within 10 games?

I think the midfield is the area of the squad that needs most work.

Add to my original list whichever player(s) miss a penalty for us in the playoffs ;)

My sources say that the squad is fractured and don't particular want Pearson any longer.

Schmeichel has asked the club that if a Premier club comes in for him, he wants to listen to their offer.

West Brom are very keen on Ben Marshall and think they can pick up a bargain. City already have a replacement lined up in the bosman signing of Alan Judge from Notts County.

Wellens finally wants off after an argument with Pearson. Port Vale keen.

That's what I've told.

In an ideal word.

Goodbye to Konchesky. Retirement awaits.
St Ledger you crock.
Waghorn for the good of your own career.
Futacs for similar reasons.
Danns for being a total arse.
Beckford cos he doesn't want anything to do with us and I don't think he ever did in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669