Who is going up with us and do we care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take MK Dons, if only for the great pub by the canal at Fenney Stratford.

Need to remember to call them first to remind them to put on extra bar staff.
Either that, or Boc could drive his ship down the canal and sell a few cans from the back.

I would like to see Peterborough back in the second tier - reminds me of the days of when I use to watch the Central Match Live and see Barry Fry ranting on at half time - it'll also wind up the many Norwich fans I know. I'd also love to see the Keynes go up as to piss off everyone who slags them off for being a franchise - they moved, the town and its people adopted them, it happened years ago - get over it!

But if they're a success other people might have the same idea and we could end up with an American style franchise system. I want them to fail horribly so it puts people off trying the same thing again.

You must be very disappointed to see how well Arsenal are doing but just think how much worse the pain must be for the good citizens of Woolwich.

The truth is that Wimbledon (the area) could not sustain a football club; even when they were playing in the Premier League, they were attracting paltry crowds. Their ground was small and outdated, but the nimby-ist council would not let them build a new one; they had to play at a borrowed ground which itself is hardly state-of-the-art and which was six miles from home and with no direct public transport link to their former territory.

Their only alternatives were to move to an area that did want them or to slowly go out of business. They did the sensible thing.

The truth is that Wimbledon (the area) could not sustain a football club; even when they were playing in the Premier League, they were attracting paltry crowds. Their ground was small and outdated, but the nimby-ist council would not let them build a new one; they had to play at a borrowed ground which itself is hardly state-of-the-art and which was six miles from home and with no direct public transport link to their former territory.

Their only alternatives were to move to an area that did want them or to slowly go out of business. They did the sensible thing.

That's not really true - the council wanted them to redevelop Plough Lane but that devious sod Hamman sold that off. The council also offered some deal with the adjacent dog track and a new site in Mitcham - both turned down. It was all about Hamman chasing the money. He should have been banned from football.

That's not really true - the council wanted them to redevelop Plough Lane but that devious sod Hamman sold that off. The council also offered some deal with the adjacent dog track and a new site in Mitcham - both turned down. It was all about Hamman chasing the money. He should have been banned from football.

Spot on.

Even the Wimbledon Independent Supporters Association feasability study showed that the Plough Lane site would allow for a modern stadium holding only 20,000 fans. That would have been completely useless for a club operating at the level Wimbledon were operating. The supposed dog track and Mitcham 'deals' are red-herrings and would never have come to fruition.

I don't underestimate the greed of Hamman but I don't think is has a particular relevance to the whole story. Wimbledon FC was a club dying on its feet; it had out-grown its packaging and nobody wanted it - there were just too many alternatives. The emerging club at Milton Keynes is the new world.

It's obvious who will be going up with us isn't it?

Peterborough and Leeds

Last edited:
Don't think It'll be Leeds....they can't win away from Elland Road. I said it when Millwall beat us all those months ago that Millwall will go up in the play offs. They will kick their way there

TBH who really gives a shit who goes up with us? As long as we are up that's all that matters, let the rif raf sort themselves out.

TBH who really gives a shit who goes up with us? As long as we are up that's all that matters, let the rif raf sort themselves out.

It's all about where we can get a few points next season, as I suspect we might desperately need them

MKDons would do OK in the Championship, same goes for Leeds and Millwall, I reckon

Peterborough's a good bet to struggle, so we'll take them along with a duffer team from the play-offs like Tranmere or Stockport

It's all about where we can get a few points next season, as I suspect we might desperately need them

MKDons would do OK in the Championship, same goes for Leeds and Millwall, I reckon

Peterborough's a good bet to struggle, so we'll take them along with a duffer team from the play-offs like Tranmere or Stockport

we have got points of all the teams below us, Brighton being the one we got the least off, so really any two feckers will do

MK Dons and Leeds is my bet. I'd love to be proven wrong though, I'd like to see Peterboro' nick 2nd place because I don't think they'd win in the play offs whereas I think the Dons might have a good chance. Basically I'd like to see the current top 3 go up.

Leton Orient and Hereford

Wimbledon's attendance stats show a club that was growing, not one that was dying. Their average of over 17,000 in their last Premiership season was twice what they achieved a few years earlier.

They over-achieved massively for the size of the club, but that's not a good reason to make them move to an area where they might get more support.

Wimbledon's attendance stats show a club that was growing, not one that was dying. Their average of over 17,000 in their last Premiership season was twice what they achieved a few years earlier.

They over-achieved massively for the size of the club, but that's not a good reason to make them move to an area where they might get more support.

But by the time of their last Premiership season, they were no longer playing in their home area and hadn't been for almost a whole decade. The bird had already flown and Merton Council had made it clear that it wasn't about to allow it to build a new nest in its former tree.

Btw, you seem to be avoiding stating your position on the plight of the people of Woolwich, despite having been prompted to do so on several occasions.

Became Barclays didn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670