Why Are Forest Still Relevant To Us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have thought older fans ought to be less caught up in the rivalry with Derby and Forest. In the 1960s and 1970s Leeds brought football cynicism to a new low, even including bribery. Other teams such as Arsenal were negative and unpleasant although not in Leeds class. In contrast to that the teams that Clough produced at Derby and Forest played beautiful football, never argued with referees and behaved well on the field and off.

For me Geography is not so important. I still dislike Leeds. There is an arrogance and unpleasantness to some of their fans that I think originated with Revie. I dislike MK Dons since the club was created in an act of cynicism that Revie would have been proud of. I dislike Millwall since I think many of their fans care more about yobbishness than about football. On the other hand the recent behaviour of a section of the crowd toward Ian Holloway showed Leicester fans can also let themselves down.

In the 1970s and 1980s (for complicated reasons) I regularly travelled to the games against Villa, Birmingham, Wolves and WBA on the coach with their supporters. I never hid my allegience to Leicester amd without exception I was treated with warmth and friendship. I have talked football with local fans on non-football visits across the country with never a hint of animosity. I have praised the Shankley team in Liverpool and been told how much they respected Shilton and Weller. I once told a group of Wolves supporters that their 1950s player Eddie Clamp had been the dirtiest player I have ever seen and they agreed and regaled me with tales of his notoriety.

I really see no reason why football supporters cannot get on. It is easy to forget the obvious: if no one supported any other team we would have no one to play against.

I would have thought older fans ought to be less caught up in the rivalry with Derby and Forest. In the 1960s and 1970s Leeds brought football cynicism to a new low, even including bribery. Other teams such as Arsenal were negative and unpleasant although not in Leeds class. In contrast to that the teams that Clough produced at Derby and Forest played beautiful football, never argued with referees and behaved well on the field and off.

For me Geography is not so important. I still dislike Leeds. There is an arrogance and unpleasantness to some of their fans that I think originated with Revie. I dislike MK Dons since the club was created in an act of cynicism that Revie would have been proud of. I dislike Millwall since I think many of their fans care more about yobbishness than about football. On the other hand the recent behaviour of a section of the crowd toward Ian Holloway showed Leicester fans can also let themselves down.

In the 1970s and 1980s (for complicated reasons) I regularly travelled to the games against Villa, Birmingham, Wolves and WBA on the coach with their supporters. I never hid my allegience to Leicester amd without exception I was treated with warmth and friendship. I have talked football with local fans on non-football visits across the country with never a hint of animosity. I have praised the Shankley team in Liverpool and been told how much they respected Shilton and Weller. I once told a group of Wolves supporters that their 1950s player Eddie Clamp had been the dirtiest player I have ever seen and they agreed and regaled me with tales of his notoriety.

I really see no reason why football supporters cannot get on. It is easy to forget the obvious: if no one supported any other team we would have no one to play against.

Exceptionally good post! Wholeheartedly agree.

1-1 only a min to go

Well having watched that game im confident that there are at least 2 more teams we can take full points off this season.

Forest were shambolic in attack.

For me its always based on geography. I was born and bred in Loughborough which is roughly split between leicester forest and derby. So obviously I hate forest and derby, and couldn't give a toss about coventry.

You make some good points about wolves and derby in the 90's though. I think I just hate forest more because I was brought up with more forest fans.

Well one look at my name tells you who I dislike the most!
I was brought up mainly in the Loughborough area so I've been to school with a lot of Forest fans. Two of my best friends during school were Forest fans so it was always a big rivalry for us. Derby would be a close second and for some reason I dislike Wolves too. Coventry rivalry feels like clutching at straws really. Couldnt give a two hoots about anyone else really.

They only say "we only care about Derby"; they don't mean it - they're just trying to ignore their hurt. And don't you think they sing "we only care about Leicester" to the Derby fans? As much as the F!"£$t fans would like to hide it, they know that they are number 3 in the east midlands - and they hate it!
But you aren't our rivals. Sure we don't like you ans sure we take th episs, but rivals nah.

We have shitloads of anti sheep songs but not one single ditty about fester.

So sorry chaps, be angry with Covvers

I hope Drydal's boys don't field Gerrard in the back when we face them. He had a torrid evening for Walsall with Fryatt last year and was pants last night.

Surely then you do want 'Drydals's boys' to field him against us.:icon_bigg

But you aren't our rivals. Sure we don't like you ans sure we take th episs, but rivals nah.

You should be in deTrent, not deNile

well that's bullshit.. the fact they call us 'Fester' shows there is some rivalry there. I've seen on Forest forums some of them hate us more than Derby.

If I had to pick a most disliked team though it would probably be Coventry..

Phew, thats ok then. For a minute there i thought you were a Forest fan regulary checking a rivals site to see if anything had been mentioned.

But im sure you go on all the other 23 clubs sites in the division.

What about the "build a bonfire" song?

I hate every single one of the other 91 clubs. As for this rivalry crap, it's crap and that's all it is.
Covscum is still top of the list followed by Portsmouth, those two can die off for all I care.

:117: :015:

I've just gone onto Google Maps to work out exactly who our closest rivals are (by car ground to ground).

1. Chaventry 24.6m
2. Florist 25.2m
3. Draby 34.2m

Florist to Draby is 16.5 miles. They've obviously got their thing going on re closeness, mutual Clough bumming etc.

Draby are neither here nor there. Not close enough to be rivals. They've always seemed a bit Northern if you know what I mean? Not really East Midlands and not really Yorkshire, some mutation. We played them the other week and it was like playing Barnsley or someone.

Chaventry or Florist is really a question of age and location. Chaventry seems to be a new thing. It's only been a big deal to them or us since they left the Prem. And I'm from South Leicestershire and they've never really been relevant. It's one for the kids.

Florist are abhorrent in every way to anyone over 35 and with a sense of rivalry. In my formative years, they won things and lauded about like they were something special. In fact, they were a two bit club who were smaller than us but got lucky with a genius manager.

I loathe them, despise everything tree like or red or trenty or cloughlike and anyone with a Notts accent winds me up instantly. I can tell a Notts man from 100 yards and they all turn my stomach.

They don't reciprocate the loathing because they were winning and enjoying themselves whilst we were seething about it. Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ass what they think of us. I hate them and always will. Every true blue of a certain age should.

In recent years they became a laughing stock. And boy did I laugh along. The likes of David Platt merited a knighthood in my book. We're both on our way back from terrible times and I dearly hope that theirs doesn't last a minute longer. I want them out of business.

That is their relevance.

Florist are abhorrent in every way to anyone over 35 and with a sense of rivalry. In my formative years, they won things and lauded about like they were something special. In fact, they were a two bit club who were smaller than us but got lucky with a genius manager.

I loathe them, despise everything tree like or red or trenty or cloughlike and anyone with a Notts accent winds me up instantly. I can tell a Notts man from 100 yards and they all turn my stomach.

They don't reciprocate the loathing because they were winning and enjoying themselves whilst we were seething about it. Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ass what they think of us. I hate them and always will. Every true blue of a certain age should.

In recent years they became a laughing stock. And boy did I laugh along. The likes of David Platt merited a knighthood in my book. We're both on our way back from terrible times and I dearly hope that theirs doesn't last a minute longer. I want them out of business.

That is their relevance.

Dead on :038:

Apart from the out of business bit. How can we humiliate them if they're out of business?

Last edited:

You must be the voice of Forest, right?

The thing that ****s me off about Forest is the glory-hunting element. Prior to Clough turning up there, almost everyone from Nottingham seemed to be a County fan. So it's not quite as bad as all those wankers 'supporting' Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea but it's the same kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669