Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melton Fox said:
At the moment our forwards are on fire, any decent chance and they will bag. However, they are not really prolific are they? We are still not tearing teams apart. Why? because the midfield aren't supplying the quality balls through the middle of the park to split the defence. I don't know the games you are watching to justify the above quote, but I don't see it.

If Williams (& co) were providing enough quality balls per game, the form our strikers are in, we would be scoring 3 or 4 per game, every game, purely on the chances Williams (& co) were creating. But they are not, they are scoring off the chances they make each other

Whilst I agree that in the past some of the criticism levelled at Williams has been fair, however, based on current form I cannot see any justification for the negative reaction towards him. He has worked very hard on the defensive aspects of his game and he has worked a lot harder in recent weeks and be prepared to dig in and get stuck in.

Now Melton, I respect you and your views but your last paragraph is complete and utter bollocks, the last three league goals we have scored have all been scored by midfielders, none by the strikers, including one scored by Williams and the other 2, if I am not mistaken, as a result of Williams creativity.

Give the guy a break, we are winning and doing well and for the moment Williams is doing well, so why dont we all support him and be glad that we are starting to see the real Gareth Williams, instead of trying to find reasons to slate him. It is very negative and too be honest quite tiresome, if Kisnorbo can improve under Kelly and become so accepted why cant Williams.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong a-z, I would like nothing more than Williams to "click". I see touches of brilliance in every game, and indeed he has improved under RK. However, he consistently underperforms in every game, IMO he is a "nearly" player and an "if only" player.

His underperforming is overshadowed by the odd chipped ball that very rarely ends in an assist. What he did last week was a touch of class that we all know he is capable of.

He is a very frustrating player to watch, however, I am not anti Williams, I like him, he just annoys the fook out of me.

Melton Fox said:
Don't get me wrong a-z, I would like nothing more than Williams to "click". I see touches of brilliance in every game, and indeed he has improved under RK. However, he consistently underperforms in every game, IMO he is a "nearly" player and an "if only" player.

His underperforming is overshadowed by the odd chipped ball that very rarely ends in an assist. What he did last week was a touch of class that we all know he is capable of.

He is a very frustrating player to watch, however, I am not anti Williams, I like him, he just annoys the fook out of me.

Fair play Melton, well put together reply, and whilst I understand your fustrations, I can see a lot of negativity towards Williams from a lot of supporters and I feel that based on current form he should now be given support.

joe501 said:
why is pfkaktf called a-z now??
coz a-z is easier to write than pktahskaJSDFHDIHFBSDIBUbdojnJNJOSNNJD.

williams has had much criticism for being a fairy, but he isnt as bad as hughes for backing out of challenges. same principle as hume getting praised for skying 10yarders but MDV being booed for missing 20yarders

Melton Fox said:

For instance "if only" williams looked as useful when we are on top as he does when things aren't quite going our way. First half an hour today all was forgiven IMO, he looked really good, after that he may as well have not been there!! I think this is why so much criticiam is levelled at him, however hughes was no better today. Our midfield needs some serious bite added for next year to help when we are not dominating play. Also our midfield needs to provide our forwards with much more support than they currently get, we are starting to rely on the quality of the front two and letting them get on with it.

Melton Fox said:

Ok if in your view he is underperforming in every game then what does it say about the rest of our midfield because I think he has been the best midfielder in the last 3 games.

Chrysalis said:
Ok if in your view he is underperforming in every game then what does it say about the rest of our midfield because I think he has been the best midfielder in the last 3 games.
I agree 100%, he has been, but the title of the thread was called Williams so I left it to Williams.

Joey looks like he has already gone, Welsh has shown a lot of good and bad touches, in general I think he will be good. Hughes has to go, I don't dislike him, he is simply not strong enough. A cross between , Greame Le Saux, Wayne Sleep and Graham Norton. Sylla is just a jug eared baffoon with no interest for our club, Weso, looked excellent for the few games so I am looking forward to his return.

I posted in another thread about a goalkeeper, after the last 3 games I now have the opinion midfield is a priority

Last edited:
I disagree with you over Hughes mainly because again I cant see us improving on him, he is at the minute as good as we can expect.

Williams in my eyes has improved a great deal over the last few games, but there is still a way to go. Yesterday he was excellent for the first 45 and then no where in the second half. He needs to try and show a bit more althority as his disapearance in the second parts of games happens to often.

Sylla is dreadful and I bet he is one of our higher earners. Please please somebody take him away along with Elvis!

On the whole I cant really find any major faults with the majority of the squad at present.Things can always be improved but they have at last started to show what that they can do it bar a couple of exceptions which I have every faith RK will deal with.

Blimey Pontus, our opinions are becoming frighteningly close :icon_bigg

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
Its getting quiet scary. Still I dont think we will ever reach an agreement on Maybury!
I hope we do, I hope he proves me wrong.

Although I am going to give up arguing my case about him. Not because I feel defeated, I don't. But because you and I both want the same outcome, and I want to be proven wrong, which is not the basis for a sound argument, especially against you. I need to have a sound footing as you put up a very good debate

Last edited:
PONTUS KAAMARK said:
I disagree with you over Hughes mainly because again I cant see us improving on him, he is at the minute as good as we can expect.
Williams in my eyes has improved a great deal over the last few games, but there is still a way to go. Yesterday he was excellent for the first 45 and then no where in the second half. He needs to try and show a bit more althority as his disapearance in the second parts of games happens to often.

Sylla is dreadful and I bet he is one of our higher earners. Please please somebody take him away along with Elvis!

On the whole I cant really find any major faults with the majority of the squad at present.Things can always be improved but they have at last started to show what that they can do it bar a couple of exceptions which I have every faith RK will deal with.
Hughes as mentioned many times before on TB is too lightweight and gets lost in many games but IMHO I think he will be the better of the 2 long term and is the more likely to grab goals, he probably will be our top midfield scorer next season.

Stevie Lynex on the wing said:
Hughes as mentioned many times before on TB is too lightweight and gets lost in many games but IMHO I think he will be the better of the 2 long term and is the more likely to grab goals, he probably will be our top midfield scorer next season.

Dont forget we also havent seen Hughes throughout a whole season with a full pre season behind him and he hasnt had a settled position. Next season he will, fingers crossed be more effective.

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
Dont forget we also havent seen Hughes throughout a whole season with a full pre season behind him and he hasnt had a settled position. Next season he will, fingers crossed be more effective.

That's if we stop playing him out of position....

Duzza said:
That's if we stop playing him out of position....
Yep, drop Williams next season and play Hughes and Wesolowski in the middle or if we can afford it, buy an experienced midfielder (a Roy Keane type) to play alongside Hughes.

Brilliant idea Mr Lynex, take your best player (by a mile) and errrrr DROP HIM ! City "fans" don`t you just love em ................ NOT !!

mad biker said:
Brilliant idea Mr Lynex, take your best player (by a mile) and errrrr DROP HIM ! City "fans" don`t you just love em ................ NOT !!
MB, you usually talk a lot of sense. But do you really think that Williams is our best player?. He has the potential to be, I won't argue with that, but has he proved this on the pitch. I don't think so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566