Work Safe Random Image thread

Why are they appearing twice? What am I doing wrong?

It's something to do with the combination of your 'editing interface' (changeable in Settings) and your choice of browser. Perhaps Jeff can clarify. The standard interface with Chrome seems to work OK.

not for a while.PNG

So, more crappy wildlife photos then! The previous ones have been Great Horned Owl, Burrowing Owl, Whiskered Screech-Owl and Ferruginous Hawk, plus Black Bears in the last photo.

Black-chinned-Hummingbird-Madera-Canyon-14-0909-02.jpg
Female Black-chinned Hummingbird.

Black-chinned-Hummingbird-Miller-Canyon-14-0703-01.jpg
Male Black-chinned Hummingbird.

Blue-throated-Hummingbird-Cave-Creek-Ranch-14-0414-02.jpg
Blue-throated Hummingbird.

Broad-billed-Hummingbird-Madera-Canyon-14-0909-02.jpg
Broad-billed Hummingbird.

Broad-tailed-Hummingbird-Miller-Canyon-14-0703-13.jpg
Broad-tailed Hummingbird.

Pronghorn-Las-Cienegas-14-0813-03.jpg

Pronghorn-Las-Cienegas-14-0730-03.jpg

Pronghorn-Las-Cienegas-14-0730-04.jpg
These are Pronghorns, often called Pronghorn Antelope but they're not actually antelope, or deer, they're their own thing, the only member of the pronghorn family. They're extremely interesting animals and I love giving my birding tour clients my pronghorn facts! I get people to guess what their nearest living relative is - not many people say the correct answer, which is giraffe. They're the fastest mammal in North America by miles, reaching speeds of 60mph+ and being able to cruise at 45mph over long distances. But they can't jump (their legs work in a similar way to a giraffe) so all the barbed wire fences in their preferred grassland habitat have either no bottom wire, or an unbarbed bottom wire, so the pronghorns can scoot underneath. And the ones in the photos are the endangered Mexican subspecies, most of which are found in the grasslands of SE Arizona. There are only about 250 of this subspecies left, but they are increasing due to improved conservation efforts. Here endeth the pronghorn lesson.

Talking of my job, I spend a lot of time looking for these two birds for people. They are two of our 'specialty' birds, which can't be found in the USA anywhere other than here.

Black-capped-Gnatcatcher-Montosa-Canyon-14-0507-07.jpg
Black-capped Gnatcatcher (a female without a black cap). Only a few pairs of these breed in the USA, in a few select SE Arizona canyons. This one was coming to a nest that I found, the only known nest of this species in the country last year.

Rufous-capped-Warbler-Florida-Canyon-14-0505-12.jpg

Rufous-capped-Warbler-Florida-Canyon-14-0726-01.jpg
The splendid Rufous-capped Warbler. There are just two regular sites for this one in the USA, again both down here.

More of our 'specialty' birds. I am aware that I'm not saying speciality, and I'm a bit embarrassed about how American I'm forced to be for my work.

Bendires-Thrasher-Sunizona-15-0124-02.jpg
Bendire's Thrasher.

Dusky-capped-Flycatcher-California-Gulch-14-0805-01.jpg
Dusky-capped Flycactcher.

Elegant-Trogon-Sycamore-Canyon-14-0721-01.jpg
Elegant Trogon, the most sought-after bird in Arizona. Not as rare in the US as the gnatcatcher or warbler above, there are about 80 pairs in the country, but they're odd and pretty and people really want to see one. This is one of the birds I show to people that is sometimes greeted with punching the air, swearing or crying, depending on the client.

Least-Grebe-California-Gulch-Dam-14-0828-04.jpg
Least Grebes. I found these last summer, the first time this species has been confirmed breeding in Arizona away from their one traditional site. You can see these in southern Texas as well, so not one of our 'specialty' birds per se.

Montezuma-Quail-Rail-Oaks-Ranch-14-0725-04.jpg
After Elegant trogon, this is the next most popular, Montezuma Quail. They usually don't confide like this pair in the photo, but are extremely skulking and difficult to find. For this bird, us guides will often have to use the line "well, you've got to leave something to come back for" after we inevitably don't see them.

Time for some scary stuff... if you find harmless snakes scary.

Brown-Vinesnake-Ruby-Rd-14-0915-01.jpg
Brown Vine snake is one of our specialty snakes! These can only be found in two mountain ranges in the US, both of which I can see from my house.

Sonoran-Gophersnake-California-Gulch-Dam-14-0911-05.jpg
Sonoran Gophersnake, found by my little dog, who was very excited. The snake was less thrilled.

Sonoran-Spotted-Whiptail-Miller-Canyon-14-0703-01.jpg
Sonoran Spotted Whiptail Lizard.

Yarrows-Spiny-Lizard-Ramsey-Canyon-14-0703-04.jpg
Yarrow's Spiny Lizard.

Chiricahua-Leopard-Frog-Miller-Canyon-14-0725-01.jpg
Another endangered species, the Chiricahua Leopard Frog. Big conservation success story this one. They were down to around 40 individuals in the mid 90s, but a captive breeding program and reintroduction scheme, combined with taking out the non-native, invasive America Bullfrog, has seen them recover well, and they can now be found in many ponds in the area.

tarantula-Ruby-Rd-14-0707-01.jpg
Tarantulas are cool! This chap was in the road, and we had to give him a little poke to get him to move for us. For anyone keeping count, I think this is Aphonopelma behlei, but I'm not a big spider expert.

Back to nice, friendly birds then.

Bullocks-Oriole-Rio-Rico-14-0506-02.jpg
Male Bullock's Oriole.

Marsh-Wren-Patagonia-Lake-15-0116-06.jpg
Marsh Wren, a hard bird to see.

Olive-Warbler-Mt-Lemmon-14-0430-01.jpg
One of the world's worst-named birds, the Olive Warbler, which is neither olive, nor a warbler.

Red-faced-Warbler-Mt-Lemmon-14-0430-04.jpg
Another popular one down here, the Red-faced Warbler.

Black-throated-Sparrow-Rodrigues-15-0124-02.jpg
Black-throated Sparrow.

Rufous-crowned-Sparrow-Pena-Blanca-Lake-15-0127-03.jpg
Rufous-crowned Sparrow.

Northern-Beardless-Tyrannulet-Florida-Canyon-14-0505-04.jpg
The brilliantly-named Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet. Surprisingly, this one is a sensible name - they're a small 'Tyrant Flycatcher' hence Tyrannulet, it's the northernmost of the tyrannulet species, and it lacks the rictal bristles (hairs around the base of the bill) that other flycatchers possess, so it's beardless.

Pine-Siskin-Madera-Canyon-15-0119-01.jpg
Pine Siskin tower block.

Sulphur-bellied-FLycatcher-Huachuca-Canyon-14-0509-02.jpg
Another popular specialty bird, Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher.

Nearly done.

Lucifer-Hummingbird-Ash-Canyon-14-0914-01.jpg
Another specialty bird, the Lucifer Hummingbird (female). Nothing to do with the devil, the name refers to the word lucifer, which means light-bearer.

Magnificent-Hummingbird-Cave-Creek-Ranch-14-0419-03.jpg
I've posted a not-so-magnificent Magnificent Hummingbird photo previously. This one shows you why it has its name.

Plain-capped-Starthroat-Madera-Canyon-14-0721-06.jpg
I spent many hours watching a set of hummingbird feeders last summer trying to find his fella for my clients, the mega-rare Plain-capped Starthroat. On one occasion I was there with two ladies who'd flown in from Alabama just to see this bird. We'd sat there for seven hours without the bird showing, so I was extremely surprised when it did finally appear all of a sudden at the feeder right in front of us. I rather unprofessionally blurted out "PLAIN-CAPPED STARTHROAT" which scared it off, with neither of my clients seeing it! Luckily, it came back about ten minutes later, but that ten minutes seemed longer to me than the previous seven hours.

Swainsons-Hawk-Whetstone-14-0726-01.jpg
Swainson's Hawk.

Western-Meadowlark-Whitewater-Draw-15-0121-02.jpg
Western Meadowlark.

Tundra-Swan-Whitewater-Draw-15-0121-05.jpg
Tundra Swans, a rare bird in these parts.

White-breasted-Nuthatch-Madera-Canyon-15-0119-01.jpg
White-breasted Nuthatch.

Yellow-eyed-Junco-Mt-Lemmon-14-0809-01.jpg
Yellow-eyed Junco.

White-eared-Hummingbird-Miller-Canyon-14-0730-03.jpg
Final hummingbird, another mega-rare one, a male White-eared Hummingbird.

Wild-Turkey-Madera-Canyon-15-0119-02.jpg
Wild Turkey, of the Mexican subspecies, known as Gould's Turkey.

A big part of my job at this time of year is taking people to see our wintering flock of Sandhill Cranes. Numbers are down (due to a change in agricultural use in their favoured valley) from over 40,000 a few years ago to about 19,000 this winter, but it's still a hugely impressive sight.

Sandhill-Crane-Whiterwater-Draw-15-0121-25.jpg

Sandhill-Crane-Whiterwater-Draw-15-0121-08.jpg

Sandhill-Crane-Whiterwater-Draw-15-0121-09.jpg

I get paid to point these out. Errrr.... there they are! Old rope...

Finally, a couple of scenic shots taken with my phone.

20140419_074905.jpg
The Chiricahua Mountains at Portal, Arizona.

20140828_141535.jpg
California Gulch, near where I live right down on the Mexican border in Santa Cruz county. One of my very favourite places in the world, and somewhere I get to go often in the summer for a couple of specialty birds that can't be found anywhere else.

Very last note, my photos have been pretty shitty for the last year or so, ever since my camera magically started working again having sat broken for two years. I'm not really a photographer - I just get lucky because I put myself in front of great wildlife every day - so I barely know how to work the camera, to be honest. But I finally got around to sitting down with the manual and figuring out all my settings, getting it back to where it used to be, hence the last few photos (cranes, turkey) being much better. Hopefully, the next lot that I post will be of this quality rather than the fuzzy shit before it, but that's dependent on my 'broken' eight-year-old Canon 30D continuing to work.

Right, I've got it all out of my system, you'll be safe from this for a good while now.
:028:

Great photos Dessie (apart from the spider - that needs an argos catalogue dropping on it).

Great photos as always Dessie. I've just bought a second hand DSLR but doubt I'll be in this league somehow.

Great photos as always Dessie. I've just bought a second hand DSLR but doubt I'll be in this league somehow.

Just pick some off the internet, post them, and pretend they're yours

I think we all know that's what Dessie does.....

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool512
2Manchester C  412
3Aston Villa512
4Chelsea510
5Arsenal410
6Newcastle510
7Brighton48
8Fulham58
9Nottm F48
10Tottenham 57
11Manchester U57