Worst ever moment as a Leicester City fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there too - I really thought we were going to get to the final that year. Wrong again.

we were unlucky with the draw, same in 74, we would have had more chance with the semi-finalists

we were unlucky with the draw, same in 74, we would have had more chance with the semi-finalists

I reckon we would have beaten Burnley and given Newcastle a good game and as long as we had kept SuperMac in line we would have beaten them too. I mean what a one sided Final it was that year at Wembley all Keegan and co had to do was turn up.Such a shame but then its Leicester City we are talking about -nothing ever comes easy to us.

Has to be Swindon for me. Was my first visit to Wembley, an excited 12 year old, I still remember the walk to the seats, everything seemed so big! I must admit I don't remember much about the game apart from worrying every time Martin Ling got the ball, but the emotions I will never ever forget. With every Swindon goal that hit the net my child like enthusiasm drained from my body, the noise of the ball smacking the post for their second still haunts me, until at 3-0 down I was out on my feet consigned to defeat, what a terrible way to finish a great day out, how can football be so cruel on a 12 year old.

But then something magical happened, something I have not experienced in the same way since..... My head starts to lift as the noise builds, I see Joachim pounce on a loose ball and smash one in, surely a consolation, but something to cheer, Ive seen Leicester score at Wembley, a bit of my enthusiasm is restored. A high hanging ball, Walsh rises with the keeper and nods one in...... that's 2, 2 goals to cheer, surely not, surely we cant come back from this?... My enthusiasm is is all but fully restored and the game has my full and undivided attention!.... Whitlow down the left, exchanges passes with Philpott and bursts into the box, a cut back falls to Thompson, a great first touch takes him past a wrong footed defender and he slots it in the corner, 3-3, we've done it!!!!! The crowd go wild, the noise was load, i mean really load, Ive never heard a cheer that load before and Ive never since, I thought I was going to go deaf. I'm leaping around with delight thinking we can do this, this is in the bag!! I love football again, what a day, my face aches from the smile on my face and I'm holding back the tears of joy (I cant cry in front of my dad, how embarrassing!).

A ball over the top, a Swindon player is fighting a defender for the ball, racing into the box, Kevin Poole darts off his line. It all happens in slow motion from here, I can hear my heart beating and my smile fading as the Swindon player beats Poole to the ball, gets a touch on the ball and hits the deck after, what seems like, a stroke on the shoulder from Pooles left hand... a shrill blast of the whistle and I see the ref pointing to the spot... please miss, please miss............. All of a sudden there's a sound like a crack of thunder, it's my heart tearing in two as the ball hits the back of the net, I go weak and feel like dropping to my knees, I hate football, how can it be so cruel to a 12 year old boy on his first visit to Wembley?

I must admit I cant remember leaving the stadium or the trip home. It wasn't the best game of football, it is my worst memory of following Leicester, but that day I was in love with football, I hated it, fell in love and had my heart broken. I was devastated, I could have easily given up, switched to a winning team, but Leicester had my heart, whether it was broken or not, this was my team, my club, we celebrate the highs together and share the lows. We have fallen out over the years, but like a junkie I have gone crawling back, its the one relationship that I will be in all my life, come what may.

We have all had days like this, we have all experienced great highs and they are all different. That's why we all fell in love with the game, that's why we all have a moan but just cant get enough, that's what makes football, In my opinion, the best game in the world!

Was my first trip to Wembley. I was 12. I cried.

It was a memorable day. And devastating.

I stand by last Sunday though. The manner of the end was just too much to bear.

Harlow away. Nothing will ever beat that ever for me. Close next would be Walsall away when they were in the fourth division and we lost 1 0 in the FA cup to them.

Has to be Swindon for me.

Without a doubt. Nothing else even comes close to the array of emotion that day. I was very, very drunk going into wembly that day, but completely stone cold sober leaving. Although I doubt I'd have passed a roadside breath test. Only two of us actually made it back to the coach, the Met were some crowd of ****s that day with the arrests they made, unmerciful ****s that they are

Was my first trip to Wembley. I was 12. I cried.

It was a memorable day. And devastating.

I stand by last Sunday though. The manner of the end was just too much to bear.

As much as Sunday was a massive kick in the gonads, Swindon was the first time it had properly happened to me, you never forget your first heartbreak, I am kind of used to being let down, its more of a numbness than complete devastation.

Emotive stuff there BBB :038:

Thanks, it was, but I am now glad I was prepared from an early age for the years of disappointment following LCFC :icon_bigg

Without a doubt. Nothing else even comes close to the array of emotion that day. I was very, very drunk going into wembly that day, but completely stone cold sober leaving. Although I doubt I'd have passed a roadside breath test. Only two of us actually made it back to the coach, the Met were some crowd of ****s that day with the arrests they made, unmerciful ****s that they are

I wish I could have been, but being 12 and accompanied by my dad, it was unfortunately not an option, I had to experience it all!

Has to be Swindon for me. Was my first visit to Wembley, an excited 12 year old, I still remember the walk to the seats, everything seemed so big! I must admit I don't remember much about the game apart from worrying every time Martin Ling got the ball, but the emotions I will never ever forget. With every Swindon goal that hit the net my child like enthusiasm drained from my body, the noise of the ball smacking the post for their second still haunts me, until at 3-0 down I was out on my feet consigned to defeat, what a terrible way to finish a great day out, how can football be so cruel on a 12 year old.

But then something magical happened, something I have not experienced in the same way since..... My head starts to lift as the noise builds, I see Joachim pounce on a loose ball and smash one in, surely a consolation, but something to cheer, Ive seen Leicester score at Wembley, a bit of my enthusiasm is restored. A high hanging ball, Walsh rises with the keeper and nods one in...... that's 2, 2 goals to cheer, surely not, surely we cant come back from this?... My enthusiasm is is all but fully restored and the game has my full and undivided attention!.... Whitlow down the left, exchanges passes with Philpott and bursts into the box, a cut back falls to Thompson, a great first touch takes him past a wrong footed defender and he slots it in the corner, 3-3, we've done it!!!!! The crowd go wild, the noise was load, i mean really load, Ive never heard a cheer that load before and Ive never since, I thought I was going to go deaf. I'm leaping around with delight thinking we can do this, this is in the bag!! I love football again, what a day, my face aches from the smile on my face and I'm holding back the tears of joy (I cant cry in front of my dad, how embarrassing!).

A ball over the top, a Swindon player is fighting a defender for the ball, racing into the box, Kevin Poole darts off his line. It all happens in slow motion from here, I can hear my heart beating and my smile fading as the Swindon player beats Poole to the ball, gets a touch on the ball and hits the deck after, what seems like, a stroke on the shoulder from Pooles left hand... a shrill blast of the whistle and I see the ref pointing to the spot... please miss, please miss............. All of a sudden there's a sound like a crack of thunder, it's my heart tearing in two as the ball hits the back of the net, I go weak and feel like dropping to my knees, I hate football, how can it be so cruel to a 12 year old boy on his first visit to Wembley?

I must admit I cant remember leaving the stadium or the trip home. It wasn't the best game of football, it is my worst memory of following Leicester, but that day I was in love with football, I hated it, fell in love and had my heart broken. I was devastated, I could have easily given up, switched to a winning team, but Leicester had my heart, whether it was broken or not, this was my team, my club, we celebrate the highs together and share the lows. We have fallen out over the years, but like a junkie I have gone crawling back, its the one relationship that I will be in all my life, come what may.

We have all had days like this, we have all experienced great highs and they are all different. That's why we all fell in love with the game, that's why we all have a moan but just cant get enough, that's what makes football, In my opinion, the best game in the world!

Awesome post - I'm sure many of us shared your emotions mate.

Away from Leicester,

I was 7 when England got knocked out the World Cup in 2002 and I cried for days.

Driving the car yesterday, I heard the track from REM, Everybody Hurts.
Still see Mike Whitlow walking across the Wembley pitch in tears whenever I hear the track.

On the field first.
Keeping it to this century the loss to Bolton at the start of 2001 was bad. Until then I still believed Peter Taylor might know what he was doing. It was the worst performance I have ever seen by a Leicester team in the top division. I really wondered wshether we might end up losing every game.
Going down to the Third Division was bad especially as rightly or wrongly I believed that if we survived and Holloway had a close season he would have transformed the club for the better.
The worst single moment was Yann's penalty. It was not that he missed it - so did Waghorn - but the arrogant way he missed it.

Off the field. Just before the turn of the century when things were going well under O'Neill the board self-desructed. Whether the Gang Of Four were right in their criticism of John Elsom I don't know. But their claim that the chairman had resigned while refusing to produce the letter and the way that the chairman and manager were forbidden from writing in the club programme was crazy and infuriating.

The way the Pearson going to Hull business was handled was another example of the club self destructing. It was made worse early the next season by Paulo Sousa's post match comments when we were bottom of the table and he was clearly in a state of total denial.

I'd washed the Bolton game completely from my mind. All the new season hopes and excitement gone in 90 pathetic minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669