Wortho still thinks hes in with a shout

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummindefender

Skysports.com said:
Nigel Worthington has denied applying for the vacant Northern Ireland managerial post, and is instead holding out for news from Leicester.
Worthington guided The Foxes to Championship safety during a caretaker stewardship at the end of this past season and is hoping to be given the reins on a more permanent basis.
The former Northern Ireland international is keen to remain in club management, even if he admits the chance to work for his country would hold a certain allure.
"I've not applied for the Northern Ireland job in any way, shape or form," said Worthington.
"Club management is my priority. At some stage, I would love to manage Northern Ireland because to work for your country is always a source of great pride.
"At this moment in time, number one would be to get back into club management and, if at any stage I could help Northern Ireland then I'd always be willing to do so."
MK Dons boss Martin Allen is the latest manager to be interviewed by chairman Milan Mandaric for the vacant post at The Foxes and Worthington is awaiting the outcome of talks.
"There's talk about different people. I'm waiting to see what the outcome is," said Worthington.
"I am interested. I had a month there which I enjoyed, I fulfilled the brief the chairman gave me.
"The club itself is a magnificent club and with the chairman there who is ambitious and prepared to spend some money, it would be a great opportunity to go back in."
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx...&title=Worthy+picks+club+over+country&channel=&

Hes clearly not first choice but I guess if talks with Allen dont go well he is still one of Milan's other 3.

I hope he is, the more I think about Allen's imminent appointment the more I find it astounding. He has reached the play off semi's twice with Brentford in league one, he then walks out, drops to the bottom division to join MK Dons and proceeds to be knocked out of the play offs at the same stage, albeit with the highest wage budget in the division.

This suggests to me a manager who has limitations and actually achieved very little, he may have a high win percentage but it seems when it comes to the big games that matter, he is found wanting. When you compare his achievements and honours to those of Warnock and Worthington, IMO there is no comparison and no explainable reason why he should be appointed ahead of either of these two managers.

I hope he is, the more I think about Allen's imminent appointment the more I find it astounding. He has reached the play off semi's twice with Brentford in league one, he then walks out, drops to the bottom division to join MK Dons and proceeds to be knocked out of the play offs at the same stage, albeit with the highest wage budget in the division.

This suggests to me a manager who has limitations and actually achieved very little, he may have a high win percentage but it seems when it comes to the big games that matter, he is found wanting. When you compare his achievements and honours to those of Warnock and Worthington, IMO there is no comparison and no explainable reason why he should be appointed ahead of either of these two managers.

He gave a good interview, Steve.

he can go i dont want him at all, when i seen the leicester city match vs wolves and the score line it reminded me so much of when norwich got blasted by burnley the game when he got sacked, so after that performance he is not good enough for this clubb, case cold

He gave a good interview, Steve.

Well that's all that matters then. Did Milan forget the part of the interview where you review their CV and ask the candidate about previous performance and roles.

QuestionS I would be asking would be :

why do you keep failing to deliver promotion despite getting into decent positions ??

do you suffer under pressure ??

what lessons have you learnt from these failures ??

Why should I employ you ahead of more experienced managers with better track records ??

But if Derby loose against WBA then Davies will have achieved just as little surely?

Maybe he was unlucky. :icon_wink

Wortho doesn't have the passion Milan wants, Warnock does but won't be around more than a couple of seasons.

I don't know... i'm sick of arguing about it. I just want someone in asap.

But if Derby loose against WBA then Davies will have achieved just as little surely?

Understand what you are saying, but two divisions higher and in a far more competitive league. If you are looking for a young upcoming manager to step up to the championship then surely somebody from the lower leagues at least needs to have won promotion.

At least Davies has a proven track record at this level.

we need to forget about davies coming to leicester city it is not going to happen, he is at derby and if they dont get promoted he will be there or a manager in the perimership, he aint going to come to leicester just can't see it happening, we had the chance to get him last season when we wanted out at preston and was linked to leicester but we fecked it then and no point of crying of spilt milk, lets move on and get Allen in and start getting some players in,

Understand what you are saying, but two divisions higher and in a far more competitive league. If you are looking for a young upcoming manager to step up to the championship then surely somebody from the lower leagues at least needs to have won promotion.

At least Davies has a proven track record at this level.

I agree with everything except the bold bit, I think the lower division are as competitive, and if you happen to find a good talent it is a lot harder to hang on to them as a manager down there. The lower league playoff's have put the premiership to shame with their football and entertainment this year in my opinion

Warnock, Nigel Worthington and Martin Allen are on the short-list to be Leicester's new manager (Sun).

I know this is in the sun but if it is correct let me throw a question out to fellow talking ballers.
Has MM money made any difference to the calibre of manager this club has been able to attract, compared to those linked with the job when Levein was sacked 18 months ago?

Warnock, Nigel Worthington and Martin Allen are on the short-list to be Leicester's new manager (Sun).

I know this is in the sun but if it is correct let me throw a question out to fellow talking ballers.
Has MM money made any difference to the calibre of manager this club has been able to attract, compared to those linked with the job when Levein was sacked 18 months ago?

Interestingly it doesn't make Allen favourite, the difference between Allen and the other two is that he is currently employed therefore an approach has to be made to his present club so that a formal interview can take place. IMO this is far from being decided.

The one thing that worries me most is looking at the 3 prospects is the kind of football they play. Of the 3 Wortho plays the better style as the other two are very much a direct football style. The long ball style is a way of survival at this level, with the occasional success in attaining promotion, but they never survive at the higher level and always return quickly to where they belong. If we are trying to build for a future in the Premiership then we will need a football style to suit. And none of these candidates seem to tick the right boxes for me.

Interestingly it doesn't make Allen favourite, the difference between Allen and the other two is that he is currently employed therefore an approach has to be made to his present club so that a formal interview can take place. IMO this is far from being decided.

:038: :038:

I agree and pointed out yesterday, just because MM is talking to Allen it does not mean he will employ him. Another thing is there are possibly 1-2 names missing from the list as MM on SSN stated 4-5 names on his short list?

To answer Fox58, IMO it is what position and state the club are in which depends on the manager you can get (a point I think Redditch has been making), and also who is available. MM has got money no doubt, but does not throw it around like some other chairman. The more important part is what players we can attract now we have a bit more money.
If MM was'nt here we would still have Kelly and be playing in Fizzy one.

Newell is also unemployed currently, and had Luton playing pretty well. Should be interesting to see if Milan speaks to Blackpool after Sunday too.

Newell is also unemployed currently, and had Luton playing pretty well. Should be interesting to see if Milan speaks to Blackpool after Sunday too.

I really don't fancy much more delay in appointing a manager. I just can't see MM going for SG either.

The one thing that worries me most is looking at the 3 prospects is the kind of football they play. Of the 3 Wortho plays the better style as the other two are very much a direct football style. The long ball style is a way of survival at this level, with the occasional success in attaining promotion, but they never survive at the higher level and always return quickly to where they belong. If we are trying to build for a future in the Premiership then we will need a football style to suit. And none of these candidates seem to tick the right boxes for me.

In fairness to Warnock, he reminds me a little of Sam Alladyce in the way that he likes to get the ball forward quickly and into dangerous areas where then his flair players can cause the damage. From my recollection of the last two encounters with Sheff Utd where we lost 4 - 1 and then won 4 - 2 in the return that they played an attacking open game and were quite entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669