Yakubu... would you Adam and Eve it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think most of the Premiership strikers are way out of our price wage. Not the transfer fees but the wages, for a known name to join us unless there is a link like Emile, then you've got to pay 50% plus extra wages and there's always the opportunity for a striker with no confidence to fail.

We'd be far better sourcing a striker with confidence from abroad or lower leagues. Charlie Austin worth a shot IMO or for a midfielder, Pilkington from Huddersfield. Considering it's January, the risks would be significantly lowered.

Is he really any good anymore?

He can't get into the Everton team that struggles to score goals. His past record is great, but would be a bit of a gamble IMO.

Yes, sod him.

We should concentrate on signing one from the long line of high-scoring, multi-million pound, Premiership/Serie A/La Liga international strikers queuing up outside Sven's door.

Personally, I think most of the Premiership strikers are way out of our price wage. Not the transfer fees but the wages, for a known name to join us unless there is a link like Emile, then you've got to pay 50% plus extra wages and there's always the opportunity for a striker with no confidence to fail.

We'd be far better sourcing a striker with confidence from abroad or lower leagues. Charlie Austin worth a shot IMO or for a midfielder, Pilkington from Huddersfield. Considering it's January, the risks would be significantly lowered.

Been thinking the same Austin or lambert would be good both have excellent scoring records. I know in league one and so did fryatt but they have more of a physical presence being 6ft + .

Been thinking the same Austin or lambert would be good both have excellent scoring records. I know in league one and so did fryatt but they have more of a physical presence being 6ft + .

Austin has been linked to QPR, Reading & another championship club that I can't remember.
Wouldn't mind him though, however with Sven, I highly doubt we will sign a player from one of the lower leagues.

Austin has been linked to QPR, Reading & another championship club that I can't remember.
Wouldn't mind him though, however with Sven, I highly doubt we will sign a player from one of the lower leagues.
Thats the thing though. We can compete financially for these players, who would probably have more hunger then someone like Yakubu

Thats the thing though. We can compete financially for these players, who would probably have more hunger then someone like Yakubu

I don't disagree, I just don't think that Sven will be looking at the lower leagues, he'll be looking to get the Prem loanees or the ones 'wanting out' for a final paycheck as some would say.

Probably... but if we are after league one strikers then we should just have kept Fryatt.

Probably... but if we are after league one strikers then we should just have kept Fryatt.

Slight difference though, you sign someone like Austin he's bang in form, he comes in bags ten goals and gets you promoted, job done. Could even sell to a Championship club at a decent price, win or loss next season ala like Fryatt we've just sold or Adams.

Fryatt couldn't be motivated, else he could have been the player basically. However, using Austin has an example, he's got lots more bottle and knows how use his body.

Slight difference though, you sign someone like Austin he's bang in form, he comes in bags ten goals and gets you promoted, job done. Could even sell to a Championship club at a decent price, win or loss next season ala like Fryatt we've just sold or Adams.

Fryatt couldn't be motivated, else he could have been the player basically. However, using Austin has an example, he's got lots more bottle and knows how use his body.

Or he comes and flops.

Let's not get into the whole Fryatt debate again!

I don't disagree, I just don't think that Sven will be looking at the lower leagues, he'll be looking to get the Prem loanees or the ones 'wanting out' for a final paycheck as some would say.

Which doesn't necessarily mean success. Bednar as an example...

Or he comes and flops.

and we sell him on as I said. Like when Adams 'flopped' we got a fee, Gradel 'flopped' under Pearson we got a fee, when Fryatt 'flopped' this season we got a fee for one and a half season's performance.

It's better than targetting unattainable players who will be looking for 50k a week plus to join us and have no real motivation in performing us as their career sails towards retirement.

Let's not get into the whole Fryatt debate again!

Which doesn't necessarily mean success. Bednar as an example...

He was proven at Champ level not Premier, Yakubu is.

Who knows what could happen, could be brilliant could be a waste of money. There is the potential for both.

and we sell him on as I said. Like when Adams 'flopped' we got a fee, Gradel 'flopped' under Pearson we got a fee, when Fryatt 'flopped' this season we got a fee for one and a half season's performance.

It's better than targetting unattainable players who will be looking for 50k a week plus to join us and have no real motivation in performing us as their career sails towards retirement.

Will there be a clause in his contract not allowing us to sell Yakubu then?

Just to be clear, i'd rather us not spend that kind of money on one player. Just playing devils advocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669