Ashes - 1st test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnsons Paint Trophy aside, this is the biggest sporting event in the world.

Come on you Whiteeeeeeeeeeeees.

England 0 for 0 off 0. Lets get it on.

Last edited:
crept up to 51-1

90 odd for 3

Bopara and Strauss out

KP looking like he could get out at any moment.

191 - 3

Cant believe the Aussies took the pressure off and went with two "part-time" spinners for well over an hour.

Last edited:
228-4 colly out

Butlin has to blood them at some stage, so probably sooner than later.

Just seemed strange to do it when you have a team at 90-3 in second session of the 1st ashes test.

Just seemed strange to do it when you have a team at 90-3 in second session of the 1st ashes test.

Pontings a hopeless captain, thats why. Hes the only living Australian who could lose an ashes series with Warne, McGrath, Hayden etc playing in his side.

KP out :icon_conf

Can anyones whos watching tell me wether the wicket looks decent etc? Are we ****ing it up basically?

241-5 KP gave his wicket away.

It wouldnt be England if we didnt try and mess things up

KP out :icon_conf

Can anyones whos watching tell me wether the wicket looks decent etc? Are we ****ing it up basically?

Listening to BBC and we are basically giving our wickets away.

Last edited:
Got to hope Flintoff has something in the tank batting wise. Doubt it though.

If we could scrape over 300 and push towards 350 it would be a result from him. If KP had kept his head we could have easily pushed for 400+ :icon_roll

It might be a useless Aussie bowling attack but it doesnt seem to matter with out batters.

Missed the first hour of the day, but saw the rest.

Thought Australia had the better of the first session because we gifted a few wickets to Johnson. Strauss played a poor shot to a short ball and Bopara misjudged a slower delivery, both could have been averted.

Second session, we did a bit of a rebuilding job with some steady cricket under KP and PC. There was some seriously poor captaincy by Ponting though, he just didn't attack at all and let the session drift with mediocre spin.

Third session, both teams came out with a bit more ambition. We played a few shots and they attacked a bit more. It started to swing a bit more and they got Collingwood. Pietersen just played a simply ridiclous shot to Hauritz. It was an embarrasing dismissal and there was a danger we would be out for under 300.

Prior and Flintoff played some good attacking cricket for an hour to take us past 300. Its a shame we lost them both before the close, which I think has tipped the day in Australia's favour. The first session tomorrow will be important, we need to get somewhere near to 400 to keep our noses in this contest.

CM pretty much said how I was going to reflect on the day's play. A mixed day but very eventful and enjoyable, neither team can claim to be completely on top. Still hopeful of a few runs with Broad and Swann to come.

Key thing is that we have given the wickets away, as said on commentary there is no inevitability about these Aussies getting wickets as there was with Warne and McGrath.

Fairly even after day 1.

If Englands batsman show some bottle in the coming weeks, i really dont think the Aussies have the weapons in the bowling department to worry us.
There were times today when Pontings body language looked like saying ' beam me up ' .
It must mortify him that he can no longer call on the great bowlers that the Aussies had.
In previous times, with England at 90 for 3 and the introduction of Warne, it probaly would have resulted in England struggling to make 250.
Imo this test will be ruined by the weather, but England should feel confident about the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669